Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission is seems to be going out on my2014 Promaster 159. Weird shifts, sometimes won't shift up, surges engine, can't go above about 50. Even worse is that I'm about 800 miles from home.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,546 Posts
EG,

Although I don't have any similar experience to contribute to your situation, I hope that it's a simple fix. We're all hoping you can get it resolved quickly...particularly important when you're far from home!

Keep us apprised of the situation... best wishes

Ed

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully there isn't a problem with it being covered under the 5 year/100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I have a lot of experiences with dealers not wanting to honor the warranty.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just dropped it off at the Dodge dealer in Gand Junction, CO. They're scheduled to look it at by Wednesday. Hopefully all goes well.

A few years ago I had a Ram 1500 pickup with a painted plastic number. Within a month of driving it off the lot the paint on the front number started falling off. I took it too the dealer, who took pictures and sent them to Chrysler for warranty determination. Chrysler denied the warranty on the grounds that there were bugs on the bumper and that bugs are acidic, therefore the paint warranty is void. I immediately drove to the front and asked the sales manager to come outside and look at my bumper. He was shocked that they denied it and said he'd make sure it got repainted.

I had another time that I bought a new GMC Yukon and noticed the 12v plug didn't work. I was going out of town so told them that I'd bring it back in later. About 6 months later I brought it in to have it fixed and the service manager said my warranty is voided because I didn't let the dealership do the oil changes. We had a pretty heated conversation. I was complaining to a friend a week later about my experience there and a service manager for a competing dealership overheard my story and came over and asked if it was dealer X. I said it was and he said bring it over and he'll fix it under warranty and that they have fixed vehicles many times hat dealer x has denied warrant coverage on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got an update from the Dodge dealer. They took the trans apart and found that the clutch pack was totally shot. They said it appears to have overheated but they weren't sure why. They were waiting on a response from Chrysler on whether to rebuild it or replace it and Chrysler said to replace the trans. Thankfully they said it was under warranty. The only problem now, other than having to go 800 miles to get it, is that Chrysler said that one of the motor mounts must be replaced when they take the trans out. Unfortunately the part is on back order and no one knows when they will be available. He said they submitted a "special order" or something like that which means Chrysler will have to give them an ETA of when the motor mount will be available within 48 hours, which will be on Monday the 24th. It appears to be a small shop and the van is taking up one of their lifts until its repaired, so that might help speed things up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bs on the motor mount needing to be replaced if it's not bad.
They said the mount had changed and they were directed by Chrysler to change it when the new transmission goes in. I asked him if there had been some kind of a flaw discovered in the old style mount and he said he wasn't sure why it needed to be changed. He said that it was possibly that or that maybe something was different on the new transmission going in that required a different mount.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After calling for three days I finally got an update. The backorderd motor mount came in but not the transmission. The trans was supposedly shipped, but not shipped. Chrysler isn't sure now if they have one or if it was shipped somewhere else. The dealer is supposedly trying to find out if they have a trans and, if so, when they will get it but Chrysler hasn't given them an answer. Or at least that's what I'm being told from 800 miles away.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ugh. 18 days of frustration. I hope they get that resolved for you soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it is frustrating. I talked to the dealer today and they said that they got a notification from Chrysler that a transmission is going to be shipped but that they haven't received a tracking number so don't know where it's coming from or when it will arrive. They said it usually takes 3-5 days for something like that to get here but once it arrives they plan to have it installed that same day. Today is day 24 so it's going to take about one month start to finish. Assuming there aren't any more problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I forgot to post the outcome. The tranny finally arrived and they put it back together and it was all covered under warranty. I know the dealer was frustrated with the delay also because they're a small dealership and my van had one of their lifts tied up for a month. I've had other Promaster owners tell me that they've had to wait this long to get parts from Chrysler on warranty items.

The fact that the trans is sealed with the first service due at 60K miles (I'm at about 40K miles) kind of eliminated the possibility that I had missed any maintenance on the trans. I'll definitely keep up to date on all my maintenance since I have a 100K warranty and don't want to give any possibility of Chrysler denying a warranty. I've had them do it in a pickup for a ridiculous reason before. I think the trans is probably fine for normal driving on roads but it's definitely not a heavy duty truck tranny. I'd recommend going easy on it and it should last for a while (fingers crossed).

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
Yes, everyone should remember to give a brief description of their van in their "Signature" space. It’s not always possible to determine exactly what people are commenting on without it ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts