Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 gas 2500 just pasted 7,000 miles and I noticed a small tranny fluid leak. Dealer found one of the many machine screws holding the pan on the bottom of the transmission missing. Pan was removed, mating surfaces cleaned up, and reinstalled with all screws.

Mechanic suggested either of two things happened: One is that the screw was never installed and it simply took several months and thousands of miles for the leak to start through the pan seal. Other idea was that the screw was originally installed but not tightened and it took time for it to vibrate out.

I indicated my frustration that there was no dipstick to check transmission fluid levels. This is apparently increasingly common on new vehicles. I have been reminded the the differential on rear wheel drive vehicles has no dipstick and never has had one at least in my memory of cars for over half a century.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
As I understand it, the logic is that a transmission is easily ruined by overfilling it. I know how this happens when overfilling the engine with engine oil, but I dont quite understand it with the tranny. But I do know a tranny needs to be surgically clean inside, and I'd bet that a lot of things can get in theough the dipstick, or by owners when checking it.

The lack of a dipatick wouldnt bother me in the slightest if there were a level sensor of some kind, though so far as I know there isnt. I suppose the TCM will throw a code if its low, but the whole point of checking it is to notice problems before they become serious. If it makes you feel better, few modern cars have dipsticks. Bmw doesnt even have an engine dipstick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts