Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting facts here- I'll let you know how it turns out.
2014 Ram Promaster 136" Gas engine
31,100 miles, purchased 10/1/14, Still under the original power train warranty.

12/1 Cold start up, heard whining noise from drivers side lower engine area. Sound went away shortly thereafter (90 seconds or so), drove fine w/ no noises rest of the day.

12/2 Cold start up, loud whining noise- sounded like a power steering pump at full lock and still hogging on the steering wheel. Allowed to warm up and sound diminished but was still audible. Spoke with dealership- got the earliest service appointment I could but it was still 5 days out.
90 minutes later the engine revs would jump to 4500 with no change in throttle input and no change in vehicle speed, the check engine light promptly came on. Called dealership and told them I was bringing it in but wasn't sure I'd make it- luckily I was 1.5 mi from them.

12/7 They have looked at it and said the transmission needs to be rebuilt. The earliest I can expect it back is 12/17. The "service advisor" cannot provide any further details regarding the failure except that there is a whine in transmission.
*I purchased this vehicle to start my own commercial refrigeration business and will now be without it for quite a while. They have paid for a rental 2016 Chrysler Town and Country van for the interim. I am a promaster honk- I loved this truck. Unfortunately I am quite disappointed currently.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Wow 10 days to get a transmission out, rebuilt and replaced! I'd say they are on top of it and you are getting good service. Why did it happen? That's another matter entirely. This transmission is a well known product and the dealer or rebuilder should know more soon. Best.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious to know if you drove with your van loaded down most of the time? That's one reason why I went with the diesel, I was afraid the transmission wouldn't hold up to the heave load. But the diesel hasn't worked out much better for me either, so...
It was loaded 100% of the time. Never overloaded, never towed with it. I am hoping this van will have a long life, just discouraged right now. One of the reasons I bought this van was due to the commonality of the transmission and thinking all the bugs were worked out. Praying that after the rebuild all will be well.

I guess 10 days is a reasonable turn around- but when you are limping along with a temporary vehicle it is an excruciating timeline.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Defects can happen.

I remember my parents bought a new mid-80s Chevy S10 Blazer. Great lil' vehicle for us. At around 20k miles the transmission went ker-plunk. Towed to the dealer. Full replacement under warranty. I still remember the service tech saying "there was a few failed parts in there that should never fail after 2 million miles, if ever, but they did".

Sometimes, shi---stuff happens.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think we have only heard of a couple of transmission problems on this internet forum. With the number of these vans out there, that is a pretty low failure rate. It's bound to be non-zero.

Let 'em fix it, drive more, worry less.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dave65721 sorry to hear of this did you have a whirling /fluttering noise when driving which would increase with RPMs? The reason I ask, I am having this noise and am wondering if this is the transmission or some other non issue.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
From my perspective this transmission was not a proven design at ProMaster weight. Just because it worked in smaller cars and minivans that originally had less-powerful engines didn't convince me that it would hold up in a 9,000-pound van with upgraded V6 (relative to engines when transmission was initially designed).

That transmission has kept me on sidelines more than anything else. And I'm thinking the jury is still out for heavily-loaded vans driven in city conditions. I know many have lasted 100,000+ miles of mostly highway driving, but I'd like to see some go that far under typical mix driving.

As stated before in other threads, I'd prefer a heavy-duty 9-speed even more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave65721 sorry to hear of this did you have a whirling /fluttering noise when driving which would increase with RPMs? The reason I ask, I am having this noise and am wondering if this is the transmission or some other non issue.
I had absolutely no warning of impending failure before its doom.

For the record my driving is approximately 65% city and 35% highway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:
For those keeping score I was due to get the truck back late this week. Just got an update-
Chrysler REQUIRES (allegedly) tear down to point of failure. Metal shavings were found in the transmission pointing to a bearing failure of some sort- information is pretty limited. The service advisor said they were submitting photos and would then have to wait on a decision from Chrysler. He said they were pushing for a new transmission. The warranty (he thinks) would not be extended on a replacement transmission or a rebuild. The balance on my warranty is 5K miles.

So, to sum it up, truck has been in the shop for close to 2.5 weeks and we are seemingly no closer to a solution. Thanks FCA

·
Registered
36 Posts
My van has 43K miles on it and I took it in to have it looked at on Monday. They finally got around to looking at it today (Friday) and called to tell me they think it's a transmission problem but wont know for sure until Monday. There was a pretty bad sounding clicking or grinding when it was stopped but it went away once I stepped on the gas. I didn't really notice any problems with shifting or anything so it seems odd that they think it's transmission. Hopefully I'll know something more on Monday. Dave - looks like transmission is powertrain, so 100k mile warranty on that if that helps ease your mind any - I about wanted to have a heart attack till I realized this when they mentioned transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My transmission failed also

I have a Promaster 3500 159" wheel base high roof. I owned my van for 16 days and put a little over 1200 miles on it. When i started it Thursday 11-19 I got a check trans light then an engine light. Had the truck towed to the dealer and was told they would replace the transmission with a new one. 4 weeks later they told me the broke a ball joint putting the tranny back in and were looking for a replacement. As of 12-22 I still do not have my van back. FCA has declared my van a lemon and I am now working on a repurchase offer

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Was the 2016 power-train warranty revision -- from 100,000 to 60,000 miles -- limited to ProMasters, or did it affect most Fiat/Chrysler vehicles as well?

If limited to a few vehicles, including PM, that wouldn't speak highly of expected durability. If company-wide that could be due more to general financial decision; although if failures are rare associated costs wouldn't be that significant in the first place.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts