Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our 2014 1500 promaster lost its transmission yesterday. Weird whine, hard shift then just clicking. The dealer has it now and says it will be 7-10 days before they have it fixed or have a plan.

According to them the rule is they try to repair the transmission in house unless the cost of the repair is more then %72 of the cost of a new transmission....

Oddly specific.

Anyway dodge is offering $175 towards the cost of rental, up to 5 days.. Anyone have any experience getting more days covered from them?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Since you didn't say I'm going to guess gas engine? I can't help with the rental issue but I will say no one has had that transmission repaired in anywhere near the 7-10 days so plan on longer. One poster told us FCA requires dismantling the transmission to the point of failure before any decision is made so get your dealer on it ASAP. If they do replace it there should be some available as it is used in so many vehicles. Good luck, I feel bad for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
How many miles are on your PM?

I have found with the vehicle reimbursement, it can help to complain to the Promaster Customer Care, if you havent opened a case call: 800-763-8422.

Do you have business link as well? If you do, that can help too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When mine was in for TSB's they gave me a loaner for no additional charge. I asked them for one after about three days, after they told me it would a day or two.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am curious what failed, please let us know if they tear it down

·
Registered
4 Posts
As i understand it, the power train on the gas promaster is exactly the same as the dodge caravan. So Fiat Chrysler in their infinite wisdom [pun intended] decided to use a power train for a much heaver [maybe double the weight] van than what it was designed for. This is beside the fact that Consumer Reports does not rate one single Fiat Chrysler product as 'recommended'. I am concerned that I will have serious power train problems with the promaster after the warranty runs out. My 2014 2500 has the 5 yr 100K power train warranty so I am ok for a while. But FCA's parts/service is incredibly slow and poor. I had to wait 30 days to get new quiet brake pads installed...so I will never buy another one of their products ever again,
I will most likely get a GMC 3500 diesel PU and a 5th wheel toy hauler to travel in sometime next year. It scares me to buy another Detroiter product with their long list of cheating and poor and unreliable products. But Toyota doesn't make a heavy duty pickup and the new Tundra diesel has a brand new Cummins diesel that is not comparable in power to the 1tons. And the Cummins is unproven since it is a new design engine. Hard to figure out what to do in this market. all choices seem very risky.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will most likely get a GMC 3500 diesel PU and a 5th wheel toy hauler to travel in sometime next year. It scares me to buy another Detroiter product with their long list of cheating and poor and unreliable products. But Toyota doesn't make a heavy duty pickup and the new Tundra diesel has a brand new Cummins diesel that is not comparable in power to the 1tons. And the Cummins is unproven since it is a new design engine. Hard to figure out what to do in this market. all choices seem very risky.
I have had several dodge trucks with great results, my 2008 ram 1500 gas was totalled out at 498k miles running strong,

We currently run a 2014 ram 2500 diesel paired with our Montana 5th wheel and enjoy it quite a bit.

·
Registered
338 Posts
As i understand it, the power train on the gas promaster is exactly the same as the dodge caravan. So Fiat Chrysler in their infinite wisdom [pun intended] decided to use a power train for a much heaver [maybe double the weight] van than what it was designed for. This is beside the fact that Consumer Reports does not rate one single Fiat Chrysler product as 'recommended'. I am concerned that I will have serious power train problems with the promaster after the warranty runs out. My 2014 2500 has the 5 yr 100K power train warranty so I am ok for a while. But FCA's parts/service is incredibly slow and poor. I had to wait 30 days to get new quiet brake pads installed...so I will never buy another one of their products ever again,
I don't think it's exactly the same there are some differences that are fairly substantial. I don't know the specifics but I know there is a thread on this topic.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 62te was not designed for a caravan. That's fact, it uses the same pump , clutch pack from the old 604 another fact. They use different transfer gears and a two speed diff.

the 62te was designed to go in sebrings and the first gen 200.

The clutch packs were also used in a rwd version used in jeeps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it has now been 25 days and still not repaired. The dealer STILL has not started the actual rebuild. Transmission is out and diagnosed but nothing more.

Spoke with my case manager from Promaster and they still wont agree to cover a rental. They keep saying that they will evaluate my claim after repairs have been completed.

REALLY starting to get annoyed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts