Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a one month old 2016 Promaster 159 High Roof and while driving it the other day I got a few random clunks coming from the transmission I think. This morning drove off the driveway and came off the gas and got a good clunk. This happened two more times and stopped as it warmed up. Of course it's under warranty but the dealer tells me they only have one transmission tech and they can't get me in until the 12th. Problem is I have my first trip of about 1000 miles on the 11th. Anyone have issues like this?

Thanks all,
Shredahead

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
You don’t sound too sure so if it’s coming from the transmission and happens sort of randomly when you accelerate or decelerate what might it be? Cracked or broken flex plate, not good you won’t get home, internal shaft connection, you won’t get home, clutch(s) engaging or disengaging, you might get home. Say that it isn't coming from the transmission but is in the drive line. Defective CV joint or spline, you won’t get home, loose defective bushing in the suspension, you might go careening off the road when it lets go, Steering rack defective, ditto. Loose wheel? or wheel bearing? Don’t go. Note- the symptom is too vague to know what is happening so it may be something simple but may not be. I wouldn’t wait for the transmission guy I’d insist they give me 15 minutes with a good general mechanic and look for obvious safety stuff external to the transmission, if that is negative make sure you can replicate it and get them to hear/feel the clunk. Who decided it was the transmission you or someone they had drive it?
Best luck.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Mine does the same thing under certain conditions. Let off the accelerator slower. What happens to me is when I let go of the gas as it
is in the process of a shift. When this happens it shifts under no load and there is play in the drive train. This is where the clunk is.
I think your fine.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
That sounds like really good news for shred ahead. My diesel w/automated manual doesn’t do it. I thought he had a CLUNK not a clunk, you know one that make you think...... “WHAT THE H3LL WAS THAT!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine does the same thing under certain conditions. Let off the accelerator slower. What happens to me is when I let go of the gas as it
is in the process of a shift. When this happens it shifts under no load and there is play in the drive train. This is where the clunk is.
I think your fine.
My 2016 136WB gas engine (8000 miles) does as described by Uncubed under similar conditions. My 2007 Chrysler minivan (60,000 miles) has done the same since I bought it new. Usually more pronounced when transmission cold. Usually at low speed when you abruptly get on or off gas right in middle of a shift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2016 136WB gas engine (8000 miles) does as described by Uncubed under similar conditions. My 2007 Chrysler minivan (60,000 miles) has done the same since I bought it new. Usually more pronounced when transmission cold. Usually at low speed when you abruptly get on or off gas right in middle of a shift.

Yikes. I haven't even taken possession of my new pro master and now I'm worried. That a huge amount of money for a clunker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts