Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice that when going downhill while in "D", the trans is reluctant to shift out of the lower gears? It seems to do the same thing when I don't quite come to a complete stop and then re-accelerate. Sometimes I just move the selector to "M" and shift it myself.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
WARNING! Curmudgeon answer coming. It is built into the software that shifts the M40 on the diesel. It is my first vehicle that also shifts down going downhill and I dislike it. My kids and most people that have owned recent cars say “they all do it” Mine used to do it less but with each successive computer flash it is more prevalent. I use the M mode a lot and just push it over to D when I am coming to a stop. I am so used to it now I just do it without thinking.
BTW I believe the gasser’s automatic does this too. Welcome to the 2010’s
When someone has a computer hack that lets us get at the settings mine will not shift down or slow these downhill sections, that is what the M and the brakes are for. Brakes are cheap to replace, engines and transmissions are not so I use the brakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:(Yes the gasser downshifts on downhill grades, and I also would prefer it not do so automatically. I use the manual mode a lot, but this will not override the automatic downshift on hills with the gasser 6 speed. It's annoying, especially as it holds the lower gear too long after you level out at the bottom of a hill.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes - I just got my PM gasser and drove it through the mountains and noticed that same thing and thought it odd. I had to hit the gas to keep my speed going down hill. I'm a fan of downshifting in a manual transmission vehicle but not while I'm in drive in an automatic. Good to know it's not some weird quirk with my particular PM..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine downshifts fine and I'm ok with that. I'm talking about it sticking in the lower gear and not wanting to shift UP i.e., 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd.

Going uphill or level ground it shifts through the gears just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I knew you were asking that and the M 40 does it. It just does not like to upshift going downhill. “M” Sorry I didn’t make my answer clearer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts