Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like you can Not have cruise control on thru hills. The trans downshifts and gets confused. So many comments about downshifting, just wondering, if the cruise control even has its light on and its on standby, it interacts with the trans and makes it go a little haywire on hills whether going up or down.

·
Super Moderator
10,523 Posts
I never found CC valuable. When I had it on any vehicle I was always adjusting it either up or down. I'm very pleased my Promaster didn't come with it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've found the tranny does its thing with or without CC on. 6-5 downshifts immediately take it out of torque converter lockup. If the grade isn't much, it goes into 5th gear lockup. On the other side of the hill, it shifts back to 6th lockup.

What are you encountering?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've always enjoyed and used cruise control in other vehicles I've owned. In the PM, not so much.

I find it to be very "aggressive" in downshifting, doing it sooner than the transmission would if I didn't have it on. This causes frequent downshifts on hills where it really isn't necessary.

I know there's been discussions and opinions voiced about the downshifting of the gas PM's transmission, some likes some don't likes. I find it to be a bigger change (gear ratios) on downshifting at highway speeds and hills than I think is optimum but it isn't something I consider a "problem". This is compounded when using cruise control because it is aggressive.

My solution is to just not use it in hilly areas... Unfortunate solution but another "quirk" in an otherwise nice vehicle.

Forgot to add: It has (twice) downshifted while in cruise control, while going down a fairly steep hill. Going into what I think they describe as "4th prime" gear making the engine race. First time it scared the crap out of me! I popped it into neutral and coasted down the hill while turning off the cruise control. The second time I tried to just turn off the cruise control but that didn't help either. Again, i don't use the cruise control anymore in hilly areas...

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Cruise and automatics are an odd combination in my opinion. A manual transmission with cruise will hold any gear you select and the cruise will open the throttle and attempt to keep the vehicle up to speed until it drops to about 15 mph under the set speed, then cruise drops out. Automatics shift to maintain that set speed no mater how low a gear they want and will not tolerate the under speed condition at all. This is just a bad choice in programing the shifts. If the computer would allow a slight under speed condition, say 5-10 mph most of these vehicles have power enough to climb in wide open throttle. It might take more fuel so in order to get the higher number on the Monroney the choice is to shift? I just wish the option to hold high gear was an option. My 5.4 liter F150 is terrible as it shifts on any tiny hill. The thing has power to spare! My cheap-a$$ Suzuki Vitara 2.5 liter is much better because it will tolerate about 3-4 mile/hour under-speed before it shifts getting me over most hills.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I live in a very hilly area of Colorado and I use cruise control a lot. I noticed on a few hills where my old GMC would downshift from 4-3 my PM does not. It doesn't shift any more than my old GMC so I guess I'm just use to the shifting thing. But it does shift so smooth that I hardly notice it unless I'm watching the tach. Mine will drop about 4 mph before it downshifts...not sure what you guys are mean as aggressive...do you mean hard shifts or just a lot of shifting?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I live in a very hilly area of Colorado and I use cruise control a lot. I noticed on a few hills where my old GMC would downshift from 4-3 my PM does not. It doesn't shift any more than my old GMC so I guess I'm just use to the shifting thing. But it does shift so smooth that I hardly notice it unless I'm watching the tach. Mine will drop about 4 mph before it downshifts...not sure what you guys are mean as aggressive...do you mean hard shifts or just a lot of shifting?
I'm saying "aggressive" in a somewhat big lurch as it downshifts. I guess it's that drop to "4th prime" mentioned in other posts. Any other time it runs through the gears and you barely notice it does so. I can't say I've had another vehicle that shifts so smoothly during town driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts