Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed int he last few days that when the van is first started, if you put in reverse, it will rev and struggle to back up my sloped driveway. Give it a minute or two tow warm up and works fine. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow about this but was wondering if anyone has had this happen.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When the tranny fluid is very cold it takes a minute to circulate properly so the internal clutches in the tranny work properly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the tranny fluid is very cold it takes a minute to circulate properly so the internal clutches in the tranny work properly.
Could this transmission just be slow? I do not recall having this issue with other vehicles I owned.

I am dropping my van off Wednesday night and they will check it in the morning.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Gotta be a fluid/fluid flow problem. I think the spec for the fluid and filter change is something dumb like 50k. Went 140k in one of mine, and filter and fluid were surgically clean. That isn't to say you shouldn't service it, but I think 100k is the best interval if you do all highway like me.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a flush of any kind. That will kill your trans. A real service is dropping the pan and replacing the filter, and it's not much more expensive than some ripoff flush that runs someone else's dirty fluid through your trans, and kicks up everything in the pan and the filter and circulates it in your trans. DO NOT even think of trying to add fluid or access the sealed dipstick. Even slightly over or under filling it may ruin it, and unless you are prepared to read the ECU for the temperatures, you can't even check it. RESIST THESE TEMPTATIONS!

Reactions: KeepMeMoving

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kip, I only have 2800 miles on the van so it should not be due for service. However they did need to replace valve body on the transmission which I was told is the interface between the transmission and the electrical system. That happened a few months ago.

The van is at the dealer today so I should hear something by this afternoon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Noticed int he last few days that when the van is first started, if you put in reverse, it will rev and struggle to back up my sloped driveway. Give it a minute or two tow warm up and works fine. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow about this but was wondering if anyone has had this happen.
Does it only happen on your,steep driveway? Suspiciously Sounds like a low fluid level, likely after your first repair. Fluid level will quickly rise with temp increase and mask a fluid level issue, but an slipping will quickly cause long term damage. Question the dealer carefully on the issues they find and if pointed towards a minor issue great but be cautious and think about having them step up for fluid samples and testing while your still under warranty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it only happen on your,steep driveway? Suspiciously Sounds like a low fluid level, likely after your first repair. Fluid level will quickly rise with temp increase and mask a fluid level issue, but an slipping will quickly cause long term damage. Question the dealer carefully on the issues they find and if pointed towards a minor issue great but be cautious and think about having them step up for fluid samples and testing while your still under warranty.
Turns out it was low fluid as you suspected. They probably filled it when they serviced it but after using it maybe the fluid finally got to all of the little nooks and crannies so it was now low on start up. They say there are no leaks and I can say there have been no stains on my driveway.

Will see if everything is ok tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good to hear it was a simple issue, but I'd recommend they do some fluid samples/testing at regular intervals of 6 mos or 5k miles for thru the warranty period to track any potential long term issues. Simple, inexpensive to the dealer and a process that will identify potential long term issues from the slipping that occurred. My recommendation simply comes from my time employed by large fleets and a li'l transmission firm I used to work for, that and a long history in the vehicle service world. They made a mistake and sounds like a good dealer so really doubt they would object to a simple way to keep a customer happy and give peace of mind knowing if there is any long term issues for you.

Reactions: KeepMeMoving

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to hear it was a simple issue, but I'd recommend they do some fluid samples/testing at regular intervals of 6 mos or 5k miles for thru the warranty period to track any potential long term issues. Simple, inexpensive to the dealer and a process that will identify potential long term issues from the slipping that occurred. My recommendation simply comes from my time employed by large fleets and a li'l transmission firm I used to work for, that and a long history in the vehicle service world. They made a mistake and sounds like a good dealer so really doubt they would object to a simple way to keep a customer happy and give peace of mind knowing if there is any long term issues for you.
Next time it is in I will ask about this.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts