Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add a trailer wiring harness to my PM 2500 Chassis Cab. The Mopar OEM harness for the chassis cab (82214282AD) is about $300, which seems crazy, but I just spent some time going through the installation guide online, and it seems thoroughly integrated into the electrical system. It looks like a second party harness would be less than $100 (still kind of pricey for a few pieces of wire and connectors). I kind of want to go cheap, but I also want it to work perfectly, be easy to install, and not void the warranty. I'm wondering if $300 is worth it, just for peace of mind. The Chassis Cab has different rear lights than the van, so that could add complications. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Just remember the Curt will not support trailer braking, and is only flat 4. If the OEM is 7 pin and supports power and braking to the towed trailer I might consider it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I went factory part & installed myself, Businesslink 20% parts discount saw me pay $125 over the 2014 factory installed towing package option for both receiver & harness. It sure looks like the prices have gone up but that chassis model is much lower volume sales so of course they'd boosted the poor end users price to begin with - but the chassis item may be extra well shielded for weather/hazard exposure as the kit I used installed 97% inside the cargo shell and was only protected by black fleece cloth tape wire harness wrap at best.

The OEM harness pin/plug connector is made to snap into a bracket included on the factory receiver, you'd need to replicate that mounting bracket to use with other make/model of receiver hitches. See photo.

Interesting note on your P/N: Trailer Tow Wire Harness Kit, Cab Chassis & Cut Away Vans, Repositionable and 6` longer then 82213930AC, 7-way round with 4-way flat, Replaces part number 82214282.

I used 82213930AC, the AA/AB versions did not include a 12V source wire for electric brake controllers, and I see it is up to AF suffix now. The AC kit did not provide an extra inch of wiring, on final routing to the battery it just managed to reach, I'd have hated to try to use it on an extended length cargo box. ( http://moparonlineparts.com/docs/82213930AC.pdf )

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chassis model is much lower volume sales so of course they'd boosted the poor end users price
Yeah, the Mopar version for the van is about $100 less. The chassis cab version is made to work with different rear lights.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I got the curt kit than purchased the 7 pin and wired the brakes and AUX power myself. not very hard and seems to work well. Now the cheap curt hitch I got is another story!! POS! bent with a small rack with a box on it. waiting for the weather to break to install my draw-tite 75882 hitch.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just remember the Curt will not support trailer braking, and is only flat 4. If the OEM is 7 pin and supports power and braking to the towed trailer I might consider it.
I'm leaning toward OEM, partly for the 7-pin option. I don't need it now, but I probably will some day.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I just decided to take the plunge and buy the Mopar harness. The best price I could find was $291, on ebay. It seems overpriced, but I know it will work well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the trailer wire harness a couple of days ago. I was surprised how many plastic panels I had to remove to install the various wires and connections. The instructions that came with the harness were pretty good, but I think I spent a couple of hours on the job.

(I have been waiting to attach the side box to my bed until this wiring was in place. More pics of the bed soon. . . .)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I got a question once you go with the Factory wiring harness ... where would you mount the Brake controller ... in the van ??? or is it on the screen ?? Thank's !!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got a question once you go with the Factory wiring harness ... where would you mount the Brake controller ... in the van ??? or is it on the screen ??
The wire harness includes a wire for the brake controller, but I did not connect it yet. My trailer doesn't have brakes. The instructions route the wire up under the narrow plastic floor panel closest to the door. Apparently, you have to provide your own wire from that point, or perhaps Ram offers another kit to complete the connection to the vehicle brake system(?).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering if it would go to a Brake Controller ... or it was intergraded into that Screen ... if you have to install a brake controller where would you put it .. Don't see a Good Place for one... as I Look at my Van !!!!

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
430 Posts
My van is kinda optioned out in the dash, thinking under the steering column is about the only place, anyone else come up with a creative solution?
I routed the wires up under the steering column and left the wires a hair long. I set my controller just to the right of the steering column on the little shelf. I did not even hard mount it. The controller just sits there and I can unplug it and put it away when not in use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been looking at that shelf but the USB port is kinda blocked with the controller there. I feel the need to hard mount the controller. A time or three in my 40 plus years of towing trailers I have avoided a bad outcome by using the trailer brake lever on the controller to apply ONLY the trailer brakes while keeping some throttle on to stop a weaving trailer. I will re-explore that area for mount possibilities that let me at the USB port, though I tend to just leave a phone charging cable plugged into it all the time. Good news is I do have a cable extension and a plug on the controller. My 15 also had the AC style trailer setup so the blue wire is already to the battery box.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
430 Posts
gggGary, I use the USB port for a thumb drive with all my music. It stays in the USB port all the time. My Controller stays put pretty well and I am able to use the manual brake lever just fine, usually just to check the brakes and warm them up.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Here is the perfect thumb drive as it stays in all the time and does not protrude.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-016G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1507142341&sr=1-10&keywords=thumb%2Bdrive&th=1[/ame]
I don’t think that USB port charges anyway. Data only.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts