Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm in the Portland OR area and am interested in having the black grille instead of the silver I have. Lemme know! Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm. I might just do that. Figured it might not wear well. I was just in Italy and man it would be cool to have the Fiat grill! Only Fiat van in Oregon. But then I'd have to do the '500 in the back of the Ducato' trick and take a photo. ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got the dealer to swap my "premium" silver grille for a black one when I purchased. My PM is white. In my eyes the front looks so much better all black with the small chrome bits at the fogs and ram's head. Its not really black though; might not be able to match with plastidip.

I wonder how close white plastidip is to Promaster white ...

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I got the dealer to swap my "premium" silver grille for a black one when I purchased. My PM is white. In my eyes the front looks so much better all black with the small chrome bits at the fogs and ram's head. Its not really black though; might not be able to match with plastidip.

I wonder how close white plastidip is to Promaster white ...
The "black" grille is not really black but it is a very close match to the rest of the trim so I did not plastidip it black.

The white plastidip does NOT match the Chrysler white on our Promaster. I plastidipped the front two bumper pieces white. I wouldn't recommend white anyway as it gets dirty and scuffed with no good way to completely clean it.

My overall opinion of Plastidip is that it's OK for wheels but not a reliable or permanent solution for a vehicle paint job. Someone got too close during a parallel park and rubbed my front bumper. The Plastidip now has a 4" tear and looks bad. I could attempt to repair using the methods shown on dipyourcar.com but it's already pretty dirty and scuffed so I'll just pull it all off.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I ordered the exterior appearance package mostly for the fog lights, but am wondering how the silver/chrome grill will look with the silver van.

I've already been thinking of doing Plastidip on the wheels (contemplating having fun with blue or purple for something different). Will wait to see the grill in person before I start thinking too much about coloring the center section.

But... interesting idea, check with the dealer about swapping out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I ordered the exterior appearance package mostly for the fog lights, but am wondering how the silver/chrome grill will look with the silver van.
Ditto on fogs/Premium pkg. If the silver is the same as body color it should look good - will emphasize the vertical more, where all black emphasizes width. If its two different silvers, maybe not so great. I've seen pix with the silver on silver. Couldn't see any difference from the photos. Looked good, but visually taller.

When throwing the idea at my dealer I mentioned "and someone gets a free upgrade to the premium grille". They seemed to like that. I imagine the swap took a total of 10-15 minutes. Actually the dealer was very willing to work with me on my wants even before we discussed price. I also wanted to swap my double pass. seat for the single. They took the vans in, swapped the seats, but discovered the airbag interlock connector issue for the middle seat and I'm sure saw liability concerns there. So no-go on the seat swap, but they did give it a try.

I also have DRLs on my PM. So several lighting combinations avail. I like to use the fogs without headlights in the early evening. This turns on the clearance lights and park lights as well. Looks VERY sharp! Using all lights I'm sure its a bit intimidating when pulling up behind a compact car in traffic ... not that I want to intimidate or cause retinal damage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys. Anyone in the Portland area interested in a trade of their black/standard grille for my silver? 4k mi, so it's in nice shape still.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ordered the exterior appearance package. Does anyone know if it comes with the silver or the chrome grill? Thanks.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I ordered the exterior appearance package. Does anyone know if it comes with the silver or the chrome grill? Thanks.
Depends on when you ordered it. The Exterior Appearance Package (EAP) was $195 for a while, which was a silver grill and fog lights.

Now the price shows as $345, with the same description of silver grill and fog lights. Some of the 2016 window stickers I have seen the description as fog lights and chrome at the same $345, even though a chrome grill isn't mentioned on the build your own site.

Did you get a copy of your order? Was it $195 or $345?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends on when you ordered it. The Exterior Appearance Package (EAP) was $195 for a while, which was a silver grill and fog lights.

Now the price shows as $345, with the same description of silver grill and fog lights. Some of the 2016 window stickers I have seen the description as fog lights and chrome at the same $345, even though a chrome grill isn't mentioned on the build your own site.

Did you get a copy of your order? Was it $195 or $345?
Thanks. It was $345. Bummed that I may end up with the chrome. I told the salesman to request the silver on the order. They're saying it will be 4-6 months before the van arrives. Seems long.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks. It was $345. Bummed that I may end up with the chrome.
Not necessarily. You may end up paying the higher price, but still just get the silver. I've seen a few with the silver grille and the $345 price on the window sticker. It sucks either way though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just FYI for those of you switching out to Fiat livery, be careful associating your truck as Fiat derived. Fiat still have very a bad reputation in the US and consequently terrible resale. I know since I bought a Fiat 500 Pop and liked it so much I got an Abarth. However, on both trades, market value tanked well below 50% after two years of ownership. I realize that Fiat has dramatically improved their quality as well as Chrysler's but most people do not know that Chrysler is now using Fiat designs, engines and electronics on many of their cars now. I think a lot of people would feel differently knowing their Dodge has Fiat guts.

I know many of you use these for personal haulers and will probably keep your PMs until the wheels fall off so it probably doesn't make a difference.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I kept all the Ram and Promaster badges and they can go with the van or if it makes a $1,000 difference I'll gladly replace them myself. Having a "Fiat" van makes me smile especially when I park next to a 500 and find the owner looking over my van when I return. I have now had two friends tell me they called the Fiat dealership to find out more about the new Fiat Van! That really makes me LOL. Financially it could be worse as KOV has his badged as a Citroën Jumper! He even got a Citroën grill from Europe. Talk about ruining your resale (chuckle)! The only thing worse might have been a Peugeot Boxer; is there such a thing as negative resale value?

·
Super Moderator
10,201 Posts
Well, RD, as a matter of fact I've grown tired of the Citroen Promaster and just ordered one of these new models from the factory to replace it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hm. I might just do that. Figured it might not wear well. I was just in Italy and man it would be cool to have the Fiat grill! Only Fiat van in Oregon. But then I'd have to do the '500 in the back of the Ducato' trick and take a photo. ;)
Not so fast, More Fiats in Oregon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts