Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what happens if I set my tires to the pressure I want and check them regularly like I have done on all the vehicles I have had for the last 50 years and just ignore the tpms warning. Will the feds show up at my door? Will my van's computer screw up? Just don't know much about the TPMS stuff. My wife's CRV has that system and has mostly just stayed off as I check the pressures regularly. I would want to lower my PSI on my ProMaster, that I am purchasing this spring, to pressures much more suited to a van that I am not going to be hauling anything except 4 or 5 hundred pounds of stuff to outfit my van. Can you just tape over the light or does it buzz or ring or something? I hear the dealer can reset the TPMS lower but would rather just turn the dang thing off. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,198 Posts
Tape will work wonders - no buzzer! I always keep mine at 62 psi. My light just came on when the temps dropped down to the low 20’s last night. I checked the pressure and they were all still at 62 psi, inc the spare, so who knows? When the temp drops into the 30’s or below air pressure tends to reduce itself on its own and strange things happen. The only problem is getting a state inspection if your state requires one.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tape will work wonders - no buzzer! I always keep mine at 62 psi. My light just came on when the temps dropped down to the low 20’s last night. I checked the pressure and they were all still at 62 psi, inc the spare, so who knows? When the temp drops into the 30’s or below air pressure tends to reduce itself on its own and strange things happen. The only problem is getting a state inspection if your state requires one.
Texas requires yearly inspections. Guess I'd just hafta take the tape off temporarily every year ;) and air up (overinflate) the tires to make the TPMS happy before goin' to the inspection station. Most likely when I make my purchase I will see if the dealer will tune that TPMS down a bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the light also and had to take the rear tires up to 70+ to get the light to go out so I'm guessing that the TPMS system is tracked by relative location to the wheel hub. Rotating tires should not affect it like it seems to do in my chevy cobalt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts