Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to get some new rims and tires and have some questions about the tpms system.

If I get new sensors installed in my new wheels is a dealer visit needed to get them to connect with the vans computer?

Can I have the stock TPMS sensors pulled from my steel wheels and installed in my aftermarket rims?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
New sensors meaning you will buy new sensors? Why would you do that? Just put the same sensors in the new rim and nothing else needs to be done. Will work fine.

What rims are you going with? There are about two or three wheels that you have to choose from that fit. Maybe more now. I haven't checked in awhile.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply jostalli,

the price of having my oem sensors taken out of my stock wheels may be more than having a new set put in when I order wheels. on Maui there is not much choice for tire shops and they can get away with charging a lot! also if i keep the stock ones I would have two sets of wheels ready to go.

As for which rims, I was disappointed by the lack of choice for bolt on replacement wheels and will be using an aftermarket Porsche cayenne wheel with the center bore custom milled. If you must post about the reduced load capacity go ahead but My Van isn't used for heavy loads.

I am currently trying to decide between 205/55 18x8 et53 or 235/45/20x9 et53

Can we keep this thread to talking about the TPMS sensors? I find it very hard to search through the forums when the threads get off topic

·
Registered
604 Posts
I purchased a second set of tires (winter) and had them put on the original rims, with same TMPS sensors. No relearning was nessarsary. Ten miles down the road the TMPS light went out and all was well.

I then bought a second set of OEM steel wheels and summer tires, with new TMPS sensors. The tire shop programed/set/learned the new sensors to the system. $25 charge.

My understanding is every time I swap wheels and tires they will need the same process. I'll find out for sure around October when winters on its way...

One potential problem could be if your sensors won't fit your new wheels? As in the thickness won't work on the valve stem. No actual experience with that, just thinkin' that could be an issue? A tire shop could answer that pretty easy I'd imagine...

The other issue would be tire pressure. TMPS sensors are set for a small range of correct tire pressures. When the pressure drops a certain amount they send a signal. Your new tires probably won't need the 65 or 75 psi your PMs OEM tires require so if they're only filled to say, 45 psi, they'd always be signaling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased a second set of tires (winter) and had them put on the original rims, with same TMPS sensors. No relearning was nessarsary. Ten miles down the road the TMPS light went out and all was well.

I then bought a second set of OEM steel wheels and summer tires, with new TMPS sensors. The tire shop programed/set/learned the new sensors to the system. $25 charge.

My understanding is every time I swap wheels and tires they will need the same process. I'll find out for sure around October when winters on its way...

One potential problem could be if your sensors won't fit your new wheels? As in the thickness won't work on the valve stem. No actual experience with that, just thinkin' that could be an issue? A tire shop could answer that pretty easy I'd imagine...

The other issue would be tire pressure. TMPS sensors are set for a small range of correct tire pressures. When the pressure drops a certain amount they send a signal. Your new tires probably won't need the 65 or 75 psi your PMs OEM tires require so if they're only filled to say, 45 psi, they'd always be signaling.
Great info thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought new tires for my 2009 DTS and they asked if I wanted new sensors. At $30 each I said NO. A few weeks later one sensor started reading erratic. Tire Mart told me the battery lasts about 6 years so I should have changed them? Or check pressure with a manual gage on the bad one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
ps I worked for 3 different battery companies including Delco when there was one and Energizer NiMh when there was one. I used to take offence when someone blamed the battery but sometimes it is the battery. When I worked in warranty analysis lab at Delco 95% of batteries replaced under warranty were no defect but after 6 years they would more likely be bad.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Received a new 2500 PM several weeks ago. As initial use is empty, I lowered tire pressure to 62 pounds and at the same time replaced the cheap plastic valve protective caps. TPMS has not reset after several weeks. It is possible the replacement caps are metal -- aluminum. Does the "radio signal" come out the center of the valve and could metal caps affect the monitoring system?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Received a new 2500 PM several weeks ago. As initial use is empty, I lowered tire pressure to 62 pounds and at the same time replaced the cheap plastic valve protective caps. TPMS has not reset after several weeks. It is possible the replacement caps are metal -- aluminum. Does the "radio signal" come out the center of the valve and could metal caps affect the monitoring system?
Can't say I've ever heard of metal valve caps causing problems.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
192 Posts
I recently learned a little bit about how the tire pressure monitoring system works on my 3500 Hi EXT van. With only 120 miles on the clock I drove to Asheville to pick up Polyiso insulation board when I noticed the TPMS light stayed on. Walked around the van and all tires looked good so I continued the 100 mile round trip. That afternoon it was about 75F and checking all the tires I found ~ 66 psi in all of them. My door sticker says 65F, 80R and when I brought the fronts up to 67 and rears/spare up to 80 the warning light stayed on.

I had read about problems with programming of the TPMS on early PMs so I called the dealer (Egolf in Brevard, NC) to have them check out the system. The next morning about 8:30a (about 60F) the technician (Mark) checked air in all the tires and added a few psi to what he said was 67 in the front and 82 in the rear. The TPMS warning light immediately went off (engine idling).

I then checked with my digital gage and got within one psi of Mark's reading. Mark told me that each wheel housing has a receiver and that the rears checked for 80psi and the fronts for 65psi. According to Mark the pressure in the spare is not monitored. The only difference we could determine from the previous afternoon was the cooler morning temperature. I mentioned to Mark that my Nexen 225/75 CT8 HL E tires specified a max pressure of 80psi and he agreed that was more than needed in my lightly loaded 3500 van. The max tire load specified at 80psi is 2,680, which doubled comes to slightly over the rear axle rating of 5,291 lbs. I believe they switched to the E tires on the 2015s versus the 2014's European C type which had a max load rating around 3,200lbs. (Egolf did not charge me although I suppose they could have).

The next morning (about 60F) I set all tires to 70psi and have since driven over a hundred miles without the warning light coming on.

My tentative conclusions from this exercise:

1. The TPMS system is set to warn if tire pressures are just slightly lower than 65psi (good feature in my opinion).

2. The system appears to check for 65psi in all tires, not 80 in the rears.

3. The system may take temperature into account and require a higher pressure at higher temperatures (not sure about this).

4. The van rides well at 70psi and I will only increase the rear pressures if my total weight goes over about 8,000 lbs.

Bill

Reactions: klroman

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Good luck with this. Mine has been on twice. No air added second time and it goes off after a couple of days. Fronts at 65 and rears at 72. It doesn't seem to be a temperature dependent thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,689 Posts
I run about 60 psi in my fronts and 65 psi in the rears and have no problems at all with the TPMS light coming on. I know it's lower than the door sticker says but it gives a better ride and 72 psi in the rears is way overkill (IMHO) for my usage.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Years ago, before we "needed" pressure warning systems, I simply looked at my tires when I filled up the tank and checked the pressure every month or so. I'm pretty sure this system worked fine until I learned that I needed a warning system ;)

Mine is often signaling a pressure issue, after checking my tires a few times and not finding a problem, I now ignore it :)

I run about 60 psi in my fronts and 65 psi in the rears and have no problems at all with the TPMS light coming on. I know it's lower than the door sticker says but it gives a better ride and 72 psi in the rears is way overkill (IMHO) for my usage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased OEM steel wheels and winter tires for my van. Not planning on putting tire pressure monitors in. Winter is pretty short here and I am sure I can endure a warning light for a few months. They were going to be about $350 installed and the rims and tires were already more than expected.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just put on my winter tires yesterday.
4 new steel rims from the dealer for $52.CND each. They were cheaper then the aftermarket ($80.).
4 new sensors # 5154876AB for $ 51. CND each ( about same price as the rims !)
4 tires Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2 $116. CND each (see picture! should be good for canadian weather !?)
I was concerned about programming the new sensors, but as soon as I started driving, light went out. So I stopped at the dealer, and the service guy told me that the new sensors program them selves automatically on all Ram's since around year model 2008, and that when I put the summer tires back on they will reprogram by them selves.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Nice choice ProRam! You can't get much better than Nokian's when it comes to selecting winter tires. I think you'll be quite happy with how your PM will handle during the winter.

Good to here the swap-over goes easy. I'm about to do my first tire swap myself, at home. Last winter, when I bought my winter tires and wheels, I was told the sensors would need to be "taught/programmed" each time I swapped wheel and tires sets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts