Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody get the TPMI recall yet?

The reason I am asking this is because my PM seams to be affected (TPMS light illuminates because the sensors cannot be located) but in this article, they say that is affects U.S. Promasters that are all in the U.S., maybe implying that the ones sold in Canada aren't. Well, it seams mine jump over the border.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/30/fca-recalling-33k-vans-suvs-tire-pressure/

"Affected are an estimated 23,053 Ram ProMaster full-size vans from model-year 2014. All are in the U.S"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haven't got a recall notice but my TPMS light came on yesterday; So I stopped and checked the tires and pressure is fine. Guessing I'm affected. :-(

·
Registered
886 Posts
Are you sure it's not the polar vortex making your light come on. Mine came on with this artic weather. More air pressure fixed it. I was only 5 psi low. With 65 and 70 psi in tires I think a cold front can drop pressure more than we are used to.

·
Registered
604 Posts
they say that is affects U.S. Promasters that are all in the U.S., maybe implying that the ones sold in Canada aren't. Well, it seams mine jump over the border. [/QUOTE¨

Dang! Even Canadians are having problems with things sneaking across the Borders! :D

I did get a notice from Ram about the recall. It basically said that they'd notify me when parts were available.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure it's not the polar vortex making your light come on. Mine came on with this artic weather. More air pressure fixed it. I was only 5 psi low. With 65 and 70 psi in tires I think a cold front can drop pressure more than we are used to.
Na, I get the "TPMS sensors cannot be located" warning 99% of the time. The 1% it was ok was when I took it to the dealer ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same here yellow warning light on all the time - check tire pressure, but pressure is fine.

Will hopefully have it fixed at first oil change.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I phoned Chrysler Canada yesterday, they haven't issued the recall yet and don't know what serial numbers are affected.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's out, but it's not labeled as a "Recall". It's a "Campaign":

You can check at www.moparownerconnect.com if you are affected.

Don't have much hope that the dealer will be able to fix it, but at least, he will acknowledge that the problem exists outside my head. ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's out, but it's not labeled as a "Recall". It's a "Campaign":

You can check at www.moparownerconnect.com if you are affected.

Don't have much hope that the dealer will be able to fix it, but at least, he will acknowledge that the problem exists outside my head. ;)

Interesting... Mine, here in the US, is considered a Recall not a campaign. Still listed as P62 like yours. The explanation says new software will need to be installed.

"THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) CONTROL MODULE MAY HAVE A CONTROLLER AREA NETWORK (CAN) BUS CABLE TO THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) CONTROL MODULE THAT MAY ACT AS AN ANTENNA. THE CAN BUS CABLE MAY COLLECT MORE REAR TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR (TPS) SIGNAL ENERGY THAN EXPECTED. BY DESIGN, THE FRONT-TO-REAR TPS SIGNAL STRENGTH MUST VARY BY AT LEAST 4DB. DUE TO THE ADDITIONAL SIGNAL STRENGTH INPUT FROM THE REAR TPS, THE SIGNAL STRENGTH DIFFERENCE FROM THE FRONT-TO-REAR SENSORS MAY BE LESS THAN 4DB. INCORRECT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING COULD CAUSE THE VEHICLE OPERATOR TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE WITHOUT KNOWING OF A LOW TIRE PRESSURE CONDITION. DRIVING A VEHICLE WITH A LOW TIRE PRESSURE CONDITION COULD CAUSE TIRE FAILURE AND/OR A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING."

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting... Mine, here in the US, is considered a Recall not a campaign. Still listed as P62 like yours.
Searched on the web the difference between a "recall" and a "campaign". Here's what I found:

"In terms of severity of safety risk, a customer service campaign is the least problematic; a TSB is reported to NHTSA but not necessarily to car owners and typically cover a new car quirk; a recall is a safety defect that must be fixed and customers must be notified."

So basically, the TPMI problem is not as dramatic on this side of the border. Another good thing about Canada, is that we never get lemons, the proof is we don't have a "lemon law" ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Are Canadians getting their head rests replaced? Our are they good enough for Canadians? :D

I got my second recall notice on the headrest yesterday. First notice said not available yet. Second one said come get it.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, I am not doing too well with the recalls so far, Dwight. None fixed so far. I don't see the point of sending a recall if they can't fix it.

Still waiting for the door locks to be fixed too. I think I'll go to the dealer this week, just to complain. My wife says I am pretty good at it ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just received the headrest recall notice a few days ago (here in Fla). Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have the replacements. No use going in if they don't have the new ones.

·
Registered
604 Posts
So basically, the TPMI problem is not as dramatic on this side of the border. Another good thing about Canada, is that we never get lemons, the proof is we don't have a "lemon law" ;)
Ha!
The difference is in "attitude"! When I was in the Air Force I served in a combined US/CA unit. I was always impressed by the easy-going-nature of the Canadians. Nothing seemed to ruffle-their-feathers like it did us Americans.

I guess that works with vehicle problems too? ;);)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just received the headrest recall notice a few days ago (here in Fla). Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they have the replacements. No use going in if they don't have the new ones.
Curious what they tell you...

I called mine this morning. They said they don't have the headrest, I have to bring van in for inspection, then they order headrest. They said, not all headrests get replaced, sometimes only one needs replacing. Sounds odd to me. I wonder of that's true.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha!
The difference is in "attitude"! When I was in the Air Force I served in a combined US/CA unit. I was always impressed by the easy-going-nature of the Canadians. Nothing seemed to ruffle-their-feathers like it did us Americans.

I guess that works with vehicle problems too? ;);)
Well, I guess there weren't any French-Canadians on that unit, because we are surely not that way. Take me for example: I stopped going on local forums (windsurfing) because every time I get involved in a topic, it ends up in a major argument. :laugh:Even got temporary banned a few times by the moderators.

That's what I love about this forum: discussions are always polite, nobody jumps off the wall if someone thinks differently, just a bunch of real nice people. It even cools me down ;)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts