Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share in case it is helpful my towing experiences. I've installed an aftermarket Draw Tite hitch rated @ 6000#/750# tongue weight as well as a 7-pin harness with a brake controller. I haven't towed a lot (or I would have bought something else) but have done a few hundred miles on the highway through the mountains. One towed item was a dual-axle dump trailer with a box that was 8' tall (plus 2' off the ground) by 6' wide mostly square to the wind. I estimate a 5000# load. The other has been a dual-axle trailer with a 22' power boat with surge braking, so perhaps 4,500#.

The PM towed fine. I did always use the tow/haul selection (had to remember after every start up though the one time I forgot on the flat I really didn't notice anything different). With the dump trailer, even empty at 3500# the fuel economy went waaaaay down. I got as low as 1/2 usual around the flat town (though my usual is pretty high due to how I drive). No problems with pulling down the back end, nothing close to bottoming out, I did have a light load inside though. Handling was fine, no surprises, it really wanted to tow for me. I should note I baby my vehicles--rather have it for 20 years than arrive 20 minutes earlier--so I kept the speed around 55 and let it go as low as 40 in the mountains though I am sure 55 would have been doable if I didn't care about high revs in 3rd gear (let this happen at least once with the boat before I caught it and went back to my usual puttering).

Again, I can't say I'd get this vehicle for frequent towing, but for what I did it was a champ and I was quite happy. A 6000# load--the max rated--would not scare me given my experience though I still would be prudent with it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I tow a 4500# travel trailer with my 2500 159 HT and it does well but I find myself deep into the gas pedal trying to pull hills. But since I had an 05 ram 2500 Cummins diesel for towing my jeep and 5th wheel years ago. everything I have towed with since than that's a gas vehicle just sucks for towing in my eyes. Those big diesel motors really get the job done when towing.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I wanted to share in case it is helpful my towing experiences. .....cut....
Thanks for information.

It would also help if you can estimate the van's weight in order to get an idea of the Gross Combined Weight. If van was nearly empty it should be around 5,000 pounds, making total combined about 10,000 pounds; which is within ProMaster's GCWR.

For what it's worth, being able to tow a small trailer behind a built-out PM Class B camper van is of interest to many. When you need extra room to take grandkids camping, or doing a very long trip, you "could" pull a small base camp. Hymer was marketing that idea at Tampa RV show for their extensive line of PM Class Bs. They now also make a line of very light Euro trailers they said some buyers were purchasing together as a packaged deal. Although with van around 9,000 pounds loaded, it doesn't take much to reach 11,500 pounds combined rating for PM.

·
Registered
552 Posts
A 6000# load--the max rated--would not scare me given my experience though I still would be prudent with it.

Just to clarify for others reading this thread, the max towing load allowed by the PM is 5,100#. The hitch was rated for more, but the vehicle is still limited to 5,100#.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
488 Posts
I tow my 3500# TT behind my 2500 159" hitop with a couple of dirt bikes in the cargo area of my van. Not bad. Handles well and mileage is just a hair over 14mpg if you keep the speed down (60-63mph). Brakes are the best part. Far better than my F150 or my 1/2 ton Suburban.
I take my time uphill and don't try to kill the motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would also help if you can estimate the van's weight in order to get an idea of the Gross Combined Weight.
With the dump trailer load I didn't have a load on board, perhaps 750# over empty (with me being the heaviest single item).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify for others reading this thread, the max towing load allowed by the PM is 5,100#.
You're right. Somehow I got into my head the rounded up number of 6000#, matching of course the hitch rating (ball at 7500#). I use trailer brakes (brake controller on the dump trailer and surge on the boat trailer) which way ups the safety factor in my mind.

(Athletes always round distances up and times down, don't know about weights though.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting, my new PM sounds like it's working hard going up moderate hills empty. Bought it with the intention of adding a hitch but was wondering if it was really tow worthy..... I heard it's the same engine and transmission as the Chrysler mini-vans???

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also towed a 4500# travel trailer with my 2500 159 HT and it does well, but few friends said to me that you should avoid this cause of the heavy load, so i decided to get a Ram truck than i have got Ram 1500 truck 2015 model now i am using that for Long Distance Towing services with heavy load.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The PM van has the 3.6 pentastar and transmission “simiiar” to a chrysler mini-van. So what is the problem? 5,000 lbs towing is not a big deal. Put the transmission in “Tow-Haul” mode and go for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts