Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've towed a 5 x 10 enclosed box trailer with two motorcycles in it, total towed weight about 2000 lbs, with no trailer brakes (not required here at this trailer GVWR) and it was fine although the van required noticeably more pedal pressure to stop, and fuel consumption went up. I'd want trailer brakes if it were much more than that, and at 3000 lbs they are probably required anyhow.

Gas or diesel? The gas engine will probably want to be driven in 5th gear to avoid constant shifting between 5 and 6 (easier on the transmission). I haven't driven the diesel version but all accounts are that it handles trailer towing more easily than the gas one does.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I tow a 2500- 3000 lb bassboat without brakes and it tows like a dream...Of course you feel it back there but no problems at all. I leave mine in drive with the tow button pushed...pretty flat terrain around here though. Gas engine.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
365 Posts
I have towed my dual axle car carrier (about #4000 with the car) several times in the last year. For short local hauls, no problems whatsoever. From Toledo to Detroit up I-75, not so much fun. I was bucking a headwind and going 70 MPH to keep from getting run over. ;)Even with the Tow/Haul mode selected, the trans was in 5th most of the time, and sometimes down into 4th. Got about 10-11 MPG on that trip.:( Did I mention that I-75 is about as smooth as a washboard ?
2016 LWB HighRoof window, gas.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Adrian who used to post here hauled a big enclosed utility trailer to races for his son’s budding motorcycle racing experience. His diesel did it easily with a combined weight of over 9,000+ combined with perhaps 4000 lbs. loaded trailer. He was happy but eventually needed to scale up the trailer and went to a bigger haul rig. If yours is a diesel it will do your trailer fine with few downshifts and with great mileage- perhaps 20 mpg or near.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the double axle version of the one you want and think my max gross trailer is 4700 lbs and it does pull it but its no diesel pick up. i only towed it once so far and it wasn't to bad and did the job. My promaster is the 3.6 gas. All i tell people is make sure you get a factory hitch or one of the ones that bolts to the frame. the first hitch i got was the curt hitch that's rated the same as the others but just bolts to the van where the bumper does and i wouldn't trust it to tow just 1000lbs. mine bent the first time i hooked my trailer to it. Get a good hitch and go for it. should pull it just fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the Curt trailer hitch tip. I did see the Curt design and was wondering Hmmmm that does not look good.......
Who makes the factory hitch for Dodge? I want to look at their design.

·
Registered
468 Posts
not sure who makes theirs but here it a picture of the better hitch by draw-tite. you have to be careful cause draw-tite makes a cheaper one 2. I jumped the gun without much research cause they all had the same rating within a 100 lbs. The curt hitch I first got is a total piece of crap and actually bent. The draw-tite is much better. Nand I cant speak for the factory hitch but I'm sure its really good too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Curt makes two hitches for the promaster. I have the 13170 and have been pleased. The other one seems lightweight.

Charger7022 has had a bad experience I understand but I have had Curt on my last 5 vehicles and all have done everything I asked of them including a few overweight pulls- it happens.
Reese has a #44706 hitch for up to 7500# trailer which should be more than enough.

·
Registered
468 Posts
not trying to bash Curt as a whole but that's the one I have RD and it actually bent with my trailer and with my swing away hitch box which is under 250# (cause my wife helps me put it on), it bounced like nothing I have ever seen, its just a bad design and other companies make the same style. the tongue weight of the trailer is 345LBS. it would be fine with a trailer under 2000lbs but I honestly don't feel comfortable with it. right now its still on the van as I have not installed the draw tight due to having surgery on my arm 6 weeks ago, ill see if I can get a picture of the slight bend.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here is the picture and as you can see it has a slight bend to it and here is the only picture of the swing away hitch box that my wife helps me put on with it loaded with that cook top an empty 5 gallon water jug propane tank,our canopy which consists of a tarp,3 aluminum poles and rope and 4 camp chairs. cant be more than 250lbs (as I don't think my wife could dead lift 100lbs ) with the box it bounce's like crazy and it was rock soilid on my truck and its solid on my wifes xterra. (sorry the box is upside down it does that sometimes.)

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Draw-tite hitch has a 6000 capacity. I like the 4 bolt points better. I would say this is the stronger hitch.
As the Curt has a 5000 weight capacity.
I will get the Draw-tite.
Both are powercoated.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
not trying to bash Curt as a whole but that's the one I have RD and it actually bent with my trailer and with my swing Cut....., ill see if I can get a picture of the slight bend.
Good advice. Thanks.
I didn’t doubt you either I just knew there were two and wanted to be sure the heavier one was what we were taking about. I remember you posting up a while back (right?) and at the time thought you had the lighter one. I’ll be more careful about it from now on. I have a HD M/C rack I was thinking of using with a 250cc or a bit bigger dirt bike but I am NOT going to now! The Curt doesn’t have much fulcrum distance from the front to back attachment so I can see why it could bend now too. I think the one for my Suzuki GV is probably more rugged as it has long braces to bolt into the rear of the frame, and that tiny car has a real frame! I have a small utility trailer and it handles that fine, about 2000 lbs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts