Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure the PM will pull my 3000 lb bassboat just fine...My question is pulling it out of the water up a steep wet ramp with the front wheel drive. Anyone with some input or experience with this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same question. I've been waiting for my local dealer to have a van they'll let me test drive with a boat to try it out. I think it's going to depend on the particular ramp conditions... I'm worried about using semi-improved gravel ramps myself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just heard fwd is not the best thing at boat ramps...have no personal experience to go by...not thinking it will be a problem though...

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I would expect front wheel drive to be a lot better on a boat ramp. More traction on a dry surface vs rear wheels in the water on on a wet ramp? I don't have a boat so I'm only speculating tho.

·
Registered
625 Posts
20 years ago I spent time with friends waterskiing at the lakes in SoCal. I remember seeing Honda Accords pulling single and double jetski trailers out of the water. It got a bit iffy sometimes, but they managed. The PM towing a full boat seems like it would just be a scaled up version.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would go to your local boat ramp and talk to the workers there about what they see at pull out frenzy time.
when i had a 22 foot pontoon behind a GMC Safari RWD , it did great, and there was always staff out there to manage and keep people moving during the rush.
Id say go visit a few ramps and talk to the workers there for their views. It may help get you answers.
good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just returned from a fishing trip in Northern Minnesota.
Was in and out of a number of ramps, with a 16' Allumacraft, only once did I have any issue.
It was snowing and the ramp was slick. I did have the front wheels spinning, TC kicked in.
I might be more concerned with a 3k boat. I'd give it a try on a dry ramp first.

PM pulls my Allumacraft very well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I tow a 17 foot aluminum Bay Runner, no problem, easy towing, no problem on steep, wet, rough ramps. The tires are a little on the slick side, but no problems at all, can barely tell it's behind me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just returned from a fishing trip in Northern Minnesota.
Was in and out of a number of ramps, with a 16' Allumacraft, only once did I have any issue.
It was snowing and the ramp was slick. I did have the front wheels spinning, TC kicked in.
I might be more concerned with a 3k boat. I'd give it a try on a dry ramp first.

PM pulls my Allumacraft very well.
That's good to hear. Were all of the ramps you were using made of concrete, or were any gravel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
There were both improved (with concrete) and some not to improved with concrete slates. And some that were just gravel and whatever.
The PM did just fine! The only exception I had was when a ramp had broken concrete slates and it was snowing. Traction control kicked in but pulled it out anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my 2500 diesel did a mediocre job at pulling a 21' ski boat (roughly #3000 ) out of a wet mild concrete slope at altitude (sloans lake in Denver), we had a few failed attempts with 2 people and three dogs but once unloaded (minus one stubborn dog) it barely pulled it out in the tow/haul setting and spinning the tires. I plan to just have tow ropes if to have someone else help me out if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_VTwTVCl3Q if you want to watch the boring dash cam video with a dog sitting in a boat bing pulled out of the water

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anybody else with any experience? I'm thinking of getting a 22 ft center console, kinda just at the edge of the van towing capacity. I'm only worried about getting stuck on the ramp, I don't plan to tow long distances (and have usually trailered heavy loads with other vehicles so I'm comfortable with the slow and cautious!). I have the pentastar 136".

If I can't launch with the promaster, I may need to reconsider the boat purchase!

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Up to now I have always had a 4 WD pickup to launch a boat. My son had a 23' cuddy cabin w/Merc inboard and tandem wheeled trailer. It was heavy. I doubt any 2 WD vehicle could reliably tug it back out. FWD also works against you on a ramp and the tongue weight is lifting the front too. I am boat free and pickup free so I can't comment further.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
My wife's happiest day was when she bought her 22' sailboat - mine was when I saw the tail lights of the trailer, with the boat on it, going out the driveway for the last time.

Having said that, I always used an AWD Astro with no problem and my Sprinter once with no problem towing and launching.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Many years ago I saw a front wheel drive car with a trailer hitch on the front as well as the rear. At the launch site the trailer was unhitched and the car turned around and re hooked to the trailer. The driver then had full and easy control with easy visibility driving the trailer into the water for boat launch. the rig was parked that way. To haul the boat out the driver drove the empty trailer into the water just the right amount as he had full visibility. After loading the boat there was a great deal of trailer tongue weight over the front wheels. More importantly, the car (as is true with most vehicles) was geared lower in reverse so it pulled the boat out nice and easy. Once on the level the trailer was reattached to the rear of the car.

These new vans have a towing eye that screws through an opening in the front "bumper" to a strong point in the front sub-frame. Seems to me a welding shop could make a hitch ball arrangement to fit the same opening. Yes, it would be off center but I think it would still work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Any more stories here? I'd like to rent a 19' ski boat with my 2500 Diesel, but don't want to get stuck on the ramp.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Something with better traction than the stock style hwy tires would be a big help. I've got all terrains on mine and the traction is much better in all conditions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Launched & retrieved boats for many years towed behind SAAB cars, which were all FWD & never had an issue. IMO the idea that tongue weight reduces traction on FWD is more than compensated for by the fact that the entire weight of motor, tranny & differential is over the Front Wheels. FWD provides more traction than RWD in virtually every situation. And you can steer the power.

Where low tides are an issue I've seen many instances where RWD vehicles get in trouble b/c the drive wheels must be on the wet, slimy portion of ramps. Sometimes the typical pickup truck can't even get up the ramp with an empty trailer after launching!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have pulled it several times now and no issues at all pulling down the road or up several different ramps! Very satisfied with this performance and mileage towing which has averaged about 16-16.5 mpg.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Rember to setup the traction control...
If correctly setted, the traction control simulates a limited slip differential.
In Europe this feature in optional and you have to press a specific button.

In USA you have to press the standard TC button to activate it.
I don't remember the way to press it. please take a look to the manual...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts