Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is a new one. My key was getting kind of tricky to remove but I didn't think much about it. Well, It failed to start last Friday and had to be towed. The battery was fine and the started clicked but no turnover. I had it into the dealer the day before for it's first oil change and they did a TSB update to the power control module which I figured caused the problem. The service manager called me to say the key is now stuck in the ignition so I guess the update is not the fault. Anyway, moral of the story is that if your key is fussy being removed it may lead to a tow. Still don't have the van back. I will update with the resolution.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it is anything like the VW Eurovan, they have a $5 plastic part between the actual lock and the switch that breaks quite often. Causes all sorts of "no start" problems so most longtime owners know to keep a spare on hand.
But it could be something completely different...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
So here is a new one. My key was getting kind of tricky to remove but I didn't think much about it. Well, It failed to start last Friday and had to be towed. The battery was fine and the started clicked but no turnover. I had it into the dealer the day before for it's first oil change and they did a TSB update to the power control module which I figured caused the problem. The service manager called me to say the key is now stuck in the ignition so I guess the update is not the fault. Anyway, moral of the story is that if your key is fussy being removed it may lead to a tow. Still don't have the van back. I will update with the resolution.
This is possibly due to a battery failure. Did you try to jump it before you had it towed? The clicking sound is a good sign that the starter was trying to engage, but it didn't have enough juice.

This would also explain why the key was stuck. A lot of late model vehicles have an electronic shift interlink. This is the actuator that prevents the key from turning fully to the off position where it will release from the lock cylinder, until the shifter is fully in the park position. On vehicles that have the electronic interlink, the key gets stuck in the ignition when the battery is down or dead.

Call the dealer and tell them to test the battery. Put a strong jump box on it or a high amp charger, and see if it will release the key and/or start.

·
Registered
810 Posts
When I purchased my 2014 1 36 inch low, in December, on the dealer's lot, we tried to start it and the battery was dead. And the key would not come out. The dealer had to bring the jump box over and jump it to get it started, then after about 5 minutes of it running, we were able to turn the ignition off and take the key out. But when the battery was dead, that key would not come out.

·
Registered
810 Posts
PS, if you turn the lights on, after, you turn the key off and pull it out, they will stay on and drain your battery. If you turn the lights on while it is running and then turn the key off while it's running, the lights will go out after a short. Of time. Do not turn the lights on with no key in the ignition and leave them on otherwise it will drain your battery

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, I agree try to charge/jump start battery to at least remove the key although it still may not start. When I bought my 2015 Promaster diesel that was sitting on the dealers lot for 8 months it was doing the same thing (clicking, even with battery jump starting it just would not turn over).. Dealer put brand new battery and started right up and 1700 miles/100 starts later its doing just fine!
Short story is some of these vans sit for several months if not 1-2 years without or very little running/charging them, they maybe get started a couple times to move around the lot but that hurts the battery even more as the starting drains it and the 1min it takes to move it does NOT charge it back up. Nothing worse on a battery then having it sit for extended periods!
Also even if a charge/jump start get it going you need a new battery. I would not be surprised if more promasters start having battery problems later on before the battery warranty is up especially the 2014s that were sitting on lots so long before they sold!
OP, what's your build date? and what date did you purchase it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
PS, if you turn the lights on, after, you turn the key off and pull it out, they will stay on and drain your battery. If you turn the lights on while it is running and then turn the key off while it's running, the lights will go out after a short. Of time. Do not turn the lights on with no key in the ignition and leave them on otherwise it will drain your battery
Wow, something new I learned today! I did not know that. Jimmbomb thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
97 Posts

Why would you turn the lights on when your not driving? Just saying! :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Why would you turn the lights on when your not driving? Just saying! :)
I think he means that this turns the parking lights on. It's the only way to turn them on with out the head lights.

·
Registered
810 Posts
When the dealer got my van started, that's when we noticed that the lights were on. And that's what drained the battery.
Now granted, they were only the parking Lights, but it managed to drain the battery has no one noticed that they were on.
When I got it home, I did the test.
A lot of times, I would park my vehicles and turn the lights on and use them to see around the cars at night, cannot do this with the Promaster though as the ignition has to be on for the headlights to work

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after a month at the dealer my Van is ready to be picked up. The delay was due to a busy shop and then having to track down bad grounds and "connections". I've lost a lot of build days but an ready to make the push to "finish". In the mean time I have put 2200 miles on the loaner car, a fun to drive Avenger.

·
Registered
99 Posts
An entire month for a key stuck in the ignition? :eek: I would have been fuming if it had taken more than a couple days to fix a problem like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I let my 5 year old grand daughter play in the drivers seat cuz I thought nothing could be turned on that would drain the battery after the key was removed.... Same thing happened.. that next morning the battery was almost dead, starter clicked and key was stuck because of the weak battery. Strange that you cant turn on only the running lights while its on but can while its off. More PM weirdness.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
An entire month for a key stuck in the ignition? :eek: I would have been fuming if it had taken more than a couple days to fix a problem like that.
Couldn't agree more.

The "chasing down grounds," sounds like bull to me. If the battery was down, it was the issue. Incidentally, it is a super simple mod to bypass that. Were I to find myself in that situation I would bypass it until they were ready to go on it.

You would just have to be careful not shut it off and walk away when it is not in park.

·
Registered
167 Posts
AnyBody made a "Fake-key" ? which allowed to open a door but NO to START engine.

I did have had on my old Sprinter-van = Fake-key opens a door; Real-key in a SECRET place inside a van.
2nd Fake-key duck-taped to a bottom of a van.

Once I forgot keys = untapped spear keys from a bottom and got inside....

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Any LEGITIMATE locksmith can make you a mechanical key like that. Just take your key in to them and have them dupe it. Or better yet, find one that can code cut one. Just give them the mechanical code that is on the card that came with your van.

If you have any problems finding someone local, you can pm or e-mail me your code, or send me a closeup picture of the blade of your key, and I will cut one and send it to you.

Incidentally, I agree with you 100%. A well hidden transponder key on the inside of the van, and a hideaway mechanical underneath is the way to go. I always recommend to my customers to wire the key in an inconspicuous spot. (think mechanics safety wire) Duct tape might be a little harder to keep inconspicuous.

-t

·
Registered
4 Posts
after you turn off your van, use the turn signal lever and pull it as if you were going to flash the high beam lights, when you do this, it will bring up a timer on the EVIC, you can select how long you want the lights to stay on from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts