Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an appointment at the end of the day with the dealer to get my check engine light looked at.
The last few days my PM was slow to start, that is, foot on brake, trans in N, key in, turn key, wait for glow plugs, turn to start, then 1 2 3 4 5 then it starts. This delay was getting longer so I recorded the start up to show them what was going on, and in case it it fixed itself before I got there. Glad I did. This last time instead of starting, lights out, the dash went dark, nothing.
All accessories work, lights door locks everything, can even hear the transmission prime itself. The battery seem to have a full charge. But nothing to get it started. Just in case it was a computer problem, I unplugged the battery, waited a while, then plugged it back in, just like my cell phone. But that didn't work.

Tow truck ride! Ironically being towed by Mitsubishi fuso Cantor with the same motor.

I'll let you know what happens.

2345 miles on the odometer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bummer.

Diesel or gas?
Gas doesn't "wait for glow plugs." I sighed with relief when i read those words.
Yep, diesel. I just figured out how to put that in a signature.

Official report today, computer won't communicate. I think that was obvious when I dropped it off, let's see what tomorrow brings. I'm just glad it was still broke when I brought it in. Its easier to fix that way. When it's intermittent, they just look at you and think you're crazy.

Does anyone know if the gas and diesel use the same computer?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved

My PM is back! I only have 2000 miles on it and wow did I miss it!

The cause of my problems were loose ground wires. Yes more than one. They went through the whole van checking and tightening. There is a big difference when it starts, no more lag between turning the key and the starter taking off. They also said it is possible that the codes from the CEL were related, its not showing any now and runs great. Only time will tell. But for now, no yellow lights and it starts right up! Time to go to work and make it pay for it self.:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
That's great to hear.

I also can't stop smiling thinking about the wee lil' 118" with a diesel. Love it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good news ! The Diesel is such a great engine, I also miss driving my van when its parked for several days in between trips! This Diesel is the perfect engine for the Promaster .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unsolved then solved again

I thought I would give an update to my no cranking problem.

One thing I failed to mention last time that got me the tow truck ride, was that there was a blown fuse, circuit f03 a 20 amp fuse. This was replaced along with cleaning ground connector G0132m2 and G019M2. If you ever want to disable a pro master diesel, this fuse is the one the pull. It is a large fuse on top of the battery under the floor panel. They thought perhaps the grounding situation cause an overload to blow that fuse. After having this done, I have no longer experienced any check engine lights and the motor is running good. However.....

I still experience problems cranking the engine. Sometimes it would fire up no problem, others would be a long delay from turning the key to having the engine crank. Finally it was getting quite bad, was worried about being stuck somewhere. I had time to take it in and they traced it to a bad starter. The starter solenoid was getting signal every time, but the starter wasn't turning over. Of course however, the starter was on backorder, but one showed up three days later broken in shipping. Another unit was to be overnighted but that took four more days. In total I was in a loaner vehicle for 14 days for a bad starter, the job that actually took 15 minutes to replace.

All that being said though, happy to have my van back, the great gas mileage, all the room even though it's a wee little 118 and the strong diesel. I finally figured out how to fix the jacked up rear end, a pallet of tile will fix that.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
No start this morning

Went to start my 2014 diesel this morning and all I get is a click. Tried boosting but no luck. Sounds like a defective solenoid on the starter maybe. I will have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. Just hope it will be a quick fix.
Just bought it a few months ago. Has 2500 km on it. Maybe as it's a 2014, while sitting in the yards for theses years, condensation got in somewhere !?:(

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Got my Promaster back from the dealer with a brand new battery ! They brought it in first thing in the morning and was fixed in no time! Talking about service ! I will know were to go if anything else happens.
Glad to be back on the road.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts
I have a no start all dash lights went out, no headlights, power windows. Four ways, markers and interior lights work also locks work. Battery checked at 12.6v all fuses in the battery box read 12+v. All the large fuses were pulled and looked good that's all I could do with flashlight in hand. It's sitting at a stop sign a mile from home. Good night

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
That's a bummer! Hope you get running again as fast as I did. Good luck! Let us know what went wrong !

·
Registered
227 Posts
My van has been having issues with the transmission jumping out of gear. This happened in the past requiring a restart before going back into gear. The trans finally failed and was rebuilt. Since the rebuild it has still jumped out of gear but would go back into gear after shifting to N them back to D or M. This past Friday I had a jump out episode but it required a restart before it would go back into gear. Friday night I had yet another episode of jump out of gear and it would not go back, message center said gear unavailable. I did manage to get off the interstate. I shut the van down for a restart but now nothing, no start no attempt to start nothing. I had read this post before I left on this trip. I checked all the fuses that I believed are related to starting all were good. I removed the negative battery cable and left it off for several minutes hoping for a reset of sorts but still nothing. I had it towed to the closest dealer that services promaster. I got a call from them today telling me the tech had a death in his family and would be off for 2 weeks and that they were already 2 weeks behind. They said I should expect at least 4 weeks before it even gets into a service bay for evaluation. I live about 4 1/2 hours away. I posted this here since besides the ongoing trans issues, I now have the no start issue. Mines the same as the other fellows lights and such are not affected. I not sure if my 2 problems are related. Oh yeah its a diesel with 125,000 miles

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,376 Posts
101 no start

If your van will not crank or a delayed start CLEAN YOUR BATTERY POST AND TERMINALS. Make them shine, even though they may look clean there is corrosion. If there is enough corrosion at the battery, jumping at the engine jump portal may not work. Your manual says to inspect and or clean at every oil change.

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
If your van will not crank or a delayed start CLEAN YOUR BATTERY POST AND TERMINALS. Make them shine, even though they may look clean there is corrosion. If there is enough corrosion at the battery, jumping at the engine jump portal may not work. Your manual says to inspect and or clean at every oil change.
Did that cure your issue in post 11 above? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
so did that cure your van? mine is still at dealer 3 weeks so far. they say it needs the trans control computor and may be 2 more weeks before they can work on it. I had the trans computor replace a couple months ago over it jumping out of 6 gear. It did not solve that problem. I was told to drive it, I did till it stopped going. This has been ongoing since the end of May. Its tough to make a living when your delivery truck is broken.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts