Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Curt 13170 hitch a couple of weeks ago from Summit. They gave a extended ship date of 3/11. Got an email that Curt will not supply the hitch . Ordered one on Ebay. And same story. What gives? The other hitch they offer looks a bit "feeble" .
You'all have any recommendations . Max towing I plan will be about 4500#s of car and trailer to the track. I was told PM might be challenged.
Thanks for your inputs!!!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Reactions: KNDLKSTMS

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And I see a 13170 on a PM today in the service drive. It looked perfect. I was thinking of U bolting a little step to the square tube to ease entry into the rear door. Dang-it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey , and if anybody has pictures of their hitch showing how low/high ,deep etc. that would be a big help. I was looking at the factory hitch that replaces the bumper beam (clever) . Factory was up in there high and tight.
Thank you mucho in advance !!!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The hitch I reccomended in post #2 is a bit more spendy than the Curt but much higher capacity and you would be within 200 lbs. of the Curt’s capacity. Not a good idea in my book.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish you luck!!! I hope not but be ready for disapointment. I'll watch your progress closly.Both orders I made were at $ 120.00 .
I'm spooked that Curt would discontinue a popular product???

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
We did have one member here who bent his with a rack add on that hitch. Mine has seemed fine but I tow a 2000 GVW trailer.
You won’t bend the one I referred you to and Amazon has it too. Or don’t, up to you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wish you luck!!! I hope not but be ready for disapointment. I'll watch your progress closly.Both orders I made were at $ 120.00 .
Thanks...Yeah, I was worried about that too. They are popular and I wasn't going to buy one until later in the year when I have more than just a floor in my PM. I'll let you know when/if it ships. I got an email saying it should arribe between "Thursday, March 16 - Tuesday, March 21."

·
Registered
212 Posts
We did have one member here who bent his with a rack add on that hitch. Mine has seemed fine but I tow a 2000 GVW trailer.
You won’t bend the one I referred you to and Amazon has it too. Or don’t, up to you.
Must have been Charger that bent his...i see his review on Amazon. Hopefully I don't have any issues...I plan to use a rack for firewood.

"Bycharger7022on September 11, 2016
Verified Purchase
If you plan to tow any more than 2000lbs I would opt for a different hitch like the draw tite which bolts to the frame not just sandwiched between the bumper. I have a 4600Lb ultralite travel trailer. and this hitch flexes and is now slightly bent way more than I would like to feel safe towing my trailer again, not to mention I have a small cargo carrier maybe 175lbs loaded and that thing bounces all over the place cause this hitch flexes so much. I'm going to purchase the draw tite and toss this thing in the scrap pile. I couldn't sleep if I tried selling it to someone else."

·
Registered
468 Posts
yeah guys don't waste your money its kinda crappy I would not recommend it with any type of rack or box but seems ok with my small aluminum trailer and 1000 lb side x side maybe 1400 lbs total. Any more than that I honestly don't feel safe. it bent with my hitch box like I stated before and it flexes a ton with my 4200 lb travel trailer, I just don't feel safe at all honestly . you can get the draw tite 75882 on ebay for $180 and seems to be worth it and way stronger. I have it just waiting for the weather to break to install it. Maybe this is the reason they are not available. Somewhere I posted pictures showing how mine was bent. If anyone is interest PM me and I can take more pictures and email them to you I hate posting pictures on here.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Must have been Charger that bent his...i see his review on Amazon. Hopefully I don't have any issues...I plan to use a rack for firewood.

"Bycharger7022on September 11, 2016
Verified Purchase
If you plan to tow any more than 2000lbs I would opt for a different hitch like the draw tite which bolts to the frame not just sandwiched between the bumper. I have a 4600Lb ultralite travel trailer. and this hitch flexes and is now slightly bent way more than I would like to feel safe towing my trailer again, not to mention I have a small cargo carrier maybe 175lbs loaded and that thing bounces all over the place cause this hitch flexes so much. I'm going to purchase the draw tite and toss this thing in the scrap pile. I couldn't sleep if I tried selling it to someone else."

It should be fine under 100lbs but if you go far and have anything more the rack will bounce all over the place. My truck box setup cant be more than 200lbs cause my wife who is 5'1 helps me put it on the hitch with it loaded and on our first trip to the outer banks it bent and I was nervous coming home so I took everything out of the box and put it in the van. And like I already stated I tried it one time with my 4200lb trailer and I will never attempt it again.

if you ordered from amazon I would send it back and get the draw tite from ebay.

·
Registered
212 Posts
....and I requested to cancel the order from Amazon. My luck it will probably ship now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
if it was sold and shipped by amazon they will take it back free of charge and usually pay for shipping

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
W O W . Talk about a close call !!! Thank you all for averting disasters . And I was going to tow to the MAX . PopeAng I think we will have to go big. These "sandwich" hitches with 6 bolts in tension spook me for anything big like real towing.
RDin etc, suggested a big draw tite. Thanks RDin etc. The tubular center just won't work for me though. Curt has a big dude with square main tube. The charm of these is that they bolt to the rails back in there. Bolts in shear.
PopeAng I see there are many choises in the $200.00 range. I hate to spend big but I hate to waste even more.
Again THANK YOU boys 'n girls for saving our butts !!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just pulled the trigger on a big Curt # 13207 . They say exposed main tube, I don't think I'll be doing any "trials" driving . $ 195. on ebay. Should be fine.
And thanks una mas PM forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had issue also with the Curt, a lot of flex when using a Motorcycle carrier. Never bent, but for me not worth the risk so I replaced it with a Drawtite 75882 from Amazon. Definitely no flex now with the hauler, but if your just using one for a step, bycycle rack or light load the Curt or similar saves money.

Attachments

Reactions: PMF and KNDLKSTMS
1 - 20 of 85 Posts