Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the tow / Haul mode is working? My transmission has been rebuilt three times with less than 2000 miles on it from new. I have several issues with it and I question if the tow haul is working as it doesn't change the shift points in my van like my other pickups do. What do you guys notice when you hit the button while driving?

·
Super Moderator
10,853 Posts
Obviously the cause of your transmission failure is something other than your transmission!

Reactions: PMF2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, of course it is. The dealer assembled it wrong and Chrysler is making the dealer repeatedly tear it down and try again. Every time I get it back they cause something else not to work. When I got it back it vibrated so bad in reverse that the van shakes where you cant see out of the mirrors. They replaced all the motor mounts, transmission mount and now are waiting on an updated mount. Chrysler and the dealer just cant seem to understand the problem could be solved with a new tranny...., the van was fine up to 1400 miles when it let go.Tow haul mode does nothing in my van, however only having it for two weeks and then it breaking down I did not have any time to really use the tow haul so I don't know if it is working or not. In my pickups it's obvious as it changes the shift points immediately when pressing the button. The dealer is telling me that you won't notice if its working or not. Can you believe it failed at two weeks old with 1400 miles second week in July and its Nov 4th and Its still at the dealer! I ended up buying another truck since I have a mobile glass business and need a vehicle. I'll never buy another Chrysler product ever simply because of their customer service and the way they are handling this.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the tow / Haul mode is working? My transmission has been rebuilt three times with less than 2000 miles on it from new. I have several issues with it and I question if the tow haul is working as it doesn't change the shift points in my van like my other pickups do. What do you guys notice when you hit the button while driving?
Definitely shifts later and holds at steady or light throttle with no upshift on my 16 diesel. Sorry to hear about your attempt to own a Promaster, went thru the same dealer incompetence on my first one. Happy now once FCA provided my replacement, virtually no issues in 50k of driving so far.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You didn't say gas or diesel. On the gasser, I doubt you'd notice much difference with the button on or off, other than the light. It holds shifts slightly longer, and it is more reluctant to go into lockup, so on the highway you might find it reving high than normal. It's subtle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Finally discovered the Tow-Haul mode!

I'm surprised how the Tow-Haul mode really helps driving our loaded 3500 gasser camper van. Should have tried it before!

It helps to maintain a constant speed on highways and significantly lowers the rev. on steep slopes because it prevents constant shifting. Great gas saver also. The only problem is that you have to engage it every time you start the engine. Is there a way to have the dealer program it by default?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
glass,
Gas or diesel? Build date?onsider going to the user CP and creating a signature to let us know a few particulars like:
Gas or diesel, model, model year, build date, length, HT or low, any significant history (transmission failed at 1400 miles) etc. Your general location.
Thanks to all who read this and cooperate. We appreciate it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I can't feel much of a difference in my 3500 gasser. But I also don't carry very much weight. My transmission was also rebuilt.

·
Registered
399 Posts
...It helps to maintain a constant speed on highways and significantly lowers the rev. on steep slopes because it prevents constant shifting...
Interesting comment. It seems to confirm what I have read about the 62TE's 4th prime gear and downshift programming. It's claimed the downshift is from 6th to an intermediate gear between 3rd and 4th. This would explain why many people in the past have complained that the revs go way up on a downshift. If you let it shift down in manual mode you are now climbing in a gear less than 4th. Tow/haul is probably holding you in 5th on grades where it has plenty of torque to avoid the downshift.

This is the description from a service manual I found online:
It has 6 forward speeds with a 7th forward gear used in a specific downshift sequence known as the �4th prime". Fourth prime ratio is 1.573:1 which is a ratio between third gear (2.284:1) and fourth gear (1:452:1). Refer to the Component Application Chart. Fourth prime is used for a smoother highway speed kickdown from sixth gear and to provide a better ratio for climbing grades under certain conditions. This transaxle has another technical first for Chrysler in that this transaxle introduces the "double-swap" shifts on the 2-3, 3-2 and 4-2 shifts. This occurs when two components are turned off while two different components are turned on. This clutch to clutch syncronization takes place within 40-70 milliseconds, producing a very smooth shift. To avoid a "Double-Swap" shift on a 6-4 downshift, the transaxle shifts into "4th Prime" instead of 4th gear, which requires only the OD clutch to be turned off and simultaneous application of the UD clutch.
I wonder what happens if you just tap it down a gear from 6th. Does it go to 5th or 4th prime?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Winnebago Trend RV with the gas engine and use the tow/haul mode most of the time because of the weight issue. I am at the maximum weight for the rear tires and also tow a Smart Car (1800#). My GVWR is rated at 9,350 pounds and my weight is 9,050 pounds loaded. On my recent 5K trip to Canada, I used the tow/haul mode driving between 55-65 mph and averaged 13.65 mpg for the whole trip. I notice a better shifting on grades and also use the manual downshifting to keep in the power range. Most times rpm's would jump to 4-5K rpm's on grades. I tried to keep rpm's below 4500 when climbing hills even though speed was about 45-55 mph.

Mike Logan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting comment. It seems to confirm what I have read about the 62TE's 4th prime gear and downshift programming. It's claimed the downshift is from 6th to an intermediate gear between 3rd and 4th. This would explain why many people in the past have complained that the revs go way up on a downshift. If you let it shift down in manual mode you are now climbing in a gear less than 4th. Tow/haul is probably holding you in 5th on grades where it has plenty of torque to avoid the downshift.

This is the description from a service manual I found online:

I wonder what happens if you just tap it down a gear from 6th. Does it go to 5th or 4th prime?
It goes to 5th.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
429 Posts
I wouldn't think a gearshift would have a "4th prime" - it either has a gear or it doesn't. What could be happening in an automatic is that the lock-up torque converter is being unlocked - that allows the engine to rev higher than it would otherwise, at the expense of churning the transmission fluid in the torque converter and heating it up (and of course losing energy to that heating). After a while (hopefully) the transmission controller will lock the torque converter and you stop making butter out of the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wouldn't think a gearshift would have a "4th prime" ...
The 62TE is not a clean sheet design. It's basically the old 4 spd automatic with an over/under drive on the output. Technically there are 8 forward ratios available (4x2). But, they overlap so they are not all useful. Based on the descriptions, a downshift from 6th to 4th is accomplished by a different combination of clutches than when upshifting through 4th. I have never seen complete documentation of the sequences. The computer controls the shift algorithm. Neither the gear selector or instrument panel tell you what gear you are actually in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Winnebago Trend- Tow/Haul Mode Gear Hunting

I am original owner of a 2017 Winnebago Trend. We live in flat Florida and on most highway trips, if I set cruise to say 70MPH it frequently downshifts out of 6th, gains speed and upshifts again. I have contacted Winnebago to see if this is normal. No response. I had it into 2 dealers and they had no constructive input. Tow Haul mode does not seem to help much. I have read most of the threads about this on the Forum. Seems like the coach is a little underpowered. I do not tow anything. But do have full tanks including water cause we dry camp sometimes. Any thoughts out there??? My question for the factory guys (and you all) is- would it be better just to lock the tranny into 5th at say 3000 or should I just let the tranny gear hunt?? I am told the transmission is adaptive meaning it learns your driving habit but this does not seem to help me. Any ideas??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is it OK to press the tow button while moving at 50 or 60 mph, or is it better to do this at a stop. Also what really is the ESC button for in lower center of dash. What does it do and when is best time to use it. I did read manual but I just dont get it.
RonRev

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
This is a common complaint about the PM - it hunts between 5th and 6th gear a lot. It's annoying, but it's probably a good thing as the computer is deciding where the best mileage is to be had and shifting accordingly. It will be more noticeable (more often) when heavy on big hills. Another common complaint, which you may already have, is that it downshifts going down big hills a lot, sometimes dropping to 4th and screaming it's head off. Again, normal. And it's simply a result of what FCA chose to do for shift programming.

This neatly segues into the next question: tow/haul. All the button does (doesn't matter when or if you press it) is up the shift points, delay lockup a bit, and downshift more aggressively. I noticed that when going downhill, the downshifting was noticeably more aggressive with tow/haul engaged.

If you are very heavy, or very hilly, you can manually lock out 6th gear by moving the shifter to 5th. Again, this engine will happily spin at 3000 all day long if you want it to and you are probably putting less stress on the trans to run in lower gears. No harm in experimenting with 5th and tow/haul. They have their place, but even if you didn't have those controls it wouldn't hurt the van.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well that was helpful info. Thanks. Never though of this gear hunting as a mileage efficiency tool. Makes sense. I know the unit has a tranny oil cooler so even at 3000 rpm constant in 5th - the tranny should stay in good temp range. Appreciate the feedback. Mark

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
429 Posts
That hunting must be a gasser thing - my diesel doesn't hunt at all, even going up a fair incline. It will downshift if needed, but that's it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a new Travato. Loaded up my whole race program this weekend and towed 2 motos. The tow/haul mode was VERY effective and a big difference. downshifts came much sooner, and it held the gears longer. It also did something I wouldn't have expected. When coasting downhill and gaining speed, it downshifted to provide some engine braking effect. I have never felt an auto trans do that, but it actually was kinda nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts