Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Tow/Haul Mode for a week. I was getting 14.6 mpg now getting 15.7 mpg. When going up hills don't have to give as much gas to get it to downshift. The shifting sequence seems to be a little different.I think I will be using this mode all the time. I will just have to remember to push button every time I start. This seems to be good for me because of the weight I carry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That doesn't surprise me. My ram 1500 actually gets better mileage if I keep it in 5th gear manually. I just have to remember to hit the button and often times forget. I think in 6th gear it lugs too much. I actually don't like the tranny on my 1500, but it works.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It surprises me not many folks have thought of this. Simple and easy, no harm done gas mileage tweek. It works like a charm

·
Registered
104 Posts
Other than the shift sequence, what else does using tow/haul mode do? Will it always give you better gas mileage or does it really only help when you have a heavy load in your Promaster?

·
Registered
473 Posts
It keeps the transmission from over working and generating too much heat when pulling heavy loads. Translation..............burnt transmission fluid.
It also down shifts sooner for any given speed, so it aids in engine braking on hills.
It also in these new computer controlled, drive by wire engines, keeps the engine in a favorable rpm with a bit less throttle opening for a given speed compared to the non tow/haul mode

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Promaster 3500 based Dynamax REV 24RB RV on level Interstate 10 in Florida 70 mph cruise gets 14 mpg in 6th, 12 mpg in 5th, 10 mpg in 4th; Instant. In D I average 12.5 mpg because it continually downshifts to 5th. When I tried TowHaul it seemed to stay in lower gear but I haven't tried it enough to get average mpg. When I drive close behind 18 wheel (not safe) or beside him with my rear even with his I get 16 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try "Manual Mode"

I haven't messed much with the Tow/Haul function. However, I do use the manual shift mode a lot.

I used this while driving in the snow and ice it worked great. And I use it in dry conditions as well. shifting up and down as needed at times. A computer / auto transmission can not analyze terrain and load requirements as well as a person.

Not yet anyway;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts