62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
On the Contrary

In about 6 weeks, I leave East Texas and head east on my maiden voyage in my PM. I don't want to quickly drive the Interstates to join a crowd of tourists from one point to the next. The nicest thing about the PM is its high vantage point and large panoramic view! The PM begs to be driven off the Interstates to take full advantage of this view. First trip will be to the Smokey Mountains, then the Blue Ridge Parkway, all 470 miles of it at a speed limit of 45 mph and many stops between to camp, bike and hike. Figure it take me 3 days . . .

http://blueridgeparkway.indigofiles.com/directory_planner/Map_2010.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/blrimap-2.pdf

·
Registered
533 Posts
Trecilla , your trip sounds awesome! Traveling off the interstates and taking your time to see and enjoy the scenery is a grest way to see the country.

·
Super Moderator
9,014 Posts
In about 6 weeks, I leave East Texas and head east on my maiden voyage in my PM. I don't want to quickly drive the Interstates to join a crowd of tourists from one point to the next. The nicest thing about the PM is its high vantage point and large panoramic view! The PM begs to be driven off the Interstates to take full advantage of this view. First trip will be to the Smokey Mountains, then the Blue Ridge Parkway, all 470 miles of it at a speed limit of 45 mph and many stops between to camp, bike and hike. Figure it take me 3 days . . .

http://blueridgeparkway.indigofiles.com/directory_planner/Map_2010.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/blrimap-2.pdf
I did the Blue Rridge Parkway route a few years back in my Sprinter. I started in the middle of April and the campgrounds had just opened for the season. Woke up the first morning with a light snow from the night before on the ground and a lot of hungry deer looking for breakfast! It's a beautiful and easy drive, well worth it!

·
Super Moderator
9,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Lots of implant inquiries. I guess that explains some observations my wife says not to make!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, Sounds Great! We just picked up our 118" Low from the dealer on Sunday and are doing the engineering on now. Hopefully it will be ready for the road in three months. You have wetted my appetite for the road!

Jim Lofgren

2014 Just rescued from a life of boring deliveries!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,014 Posts
Lots of implant inquiries. I guess that explains some observations my wife says not to make!
Make sure if you're in AZ you keep your willie on a short leash (according to the map, that is) or the vasectomy guys might get you. Looks like NH is a lot safer, everyone just wants to get a passport for some reason - probably to visit Guy in Montreal!

NY and CO look a bit more laid back:)

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
KOV
And they say all my neighbors just want to make lots of little citizens as fast as possible?? Just another misinformation brought to you by "OMG the border is a problem News." Naw we know better!
Trecilla, you go girl. If you decide to tour down to Organ Pipe National Monument yell out and stop.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just under 9900 miles on my PM since the conversion with fewer than 100 interstate highway miles. I REALLY LIKE traveling the backroads and visiting all the small towns. My trip computer says I've managed to average a blazing 31mph so far - great fun!

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
The best road trip I ever took was all the dirt roads in New Zealand, both islands, in a 4x4 with a fold-out tent on the roof, and my ex and I averaged 23 mph during the five week tour. Lots of bumpy nerve-wracking scenic dirt roads! The most memorable road trips are the slowest, I agree Steve :)
I'll try to get the same averaged mph here in the good old USA for the next decade. And RDinNewHandAZ, will do a shout next time in AZ. I spent a summer in Tucson, wonderful state when the sand isn't blowing and the monsoons are over.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just got back from three weeks , flew into Vegas, rented motorcycle two days, rented Kia Sedona for the rest. Bought living/ camping supplies at goodwill and Walmart. Gave the supplies away to a homeless dude before leaving. Slept in van most nights, hotels for a few.
The best experiences were off the highways, (except NBA. NHL and MLB spring training games. )Hiking in death valley, and the grand canyon, and hiking to the remote hot springs in Deep Creek Arizona should not be missed . The coast road up from san Diego to LA was ok but too much traffic. San Diego was beautiful specially if you are into boating on the ocean.
We stealth camped in urban Vegas, Phoenix, and Hollywood and all the remote areas we could get close to our destination in the evening then have a good start on the day.
The front wheel drive Sedona handled all the high clearance 4*4 recommended roads we did in death valley. It has about the same ground clearance as a PM, but it has the spare tire that hangs down and it got grounded a few times. We actually got 'strafed' by an F16 while eating our oatmeal one morning at the foot of a 700 Ft sand dune .Our food cooked on a single burner propane was way healthier than any restaurant. For the cost of the rental van we more than made up for it with hotel cost savings, but the best reward was to have ultimate mobility.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just under 9900 miles on my PM since the conversion with fewer than 100 interstate highway miles. I REALLY LIKE traveling the backroads and visiting all the small towns. My trip computer says I've managed to average a blazing 31mph so far - great fun!

31MPG?!!! That's awesome, @Steve. Curious if you did any manual calculations to confirm the computer? Guessing light load. Anything else besides going slow that you think is giving you the MPGs? What's are you feeding it for gas?
:)PP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
31MPG?!!! That's awesome, @Steve. Curious if you did any manual calculations to confirm the computer? Guessing light load. Anything else besides going slow that you think is giving you the MPGs? What's are you feeding it for gas?
D'oh. Just noticed you said MPH, not MPG. Wishful thinking..

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
I think Steve was talking about his speed not his fuel mileage! He' probably getting 17 MPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts