Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought this thing at HARBOR FREIGHT on sale...$119 i think it was...

it worked awesome, it literally took about 5 minutes to extract the oil, while i changed the filter...whole event took 10 mins max...
i'm a topside convert!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are the drain bolt and filter easily accessible ? Wondering why you wanted to go from the top?
On my Subaru wagon someone epoxied the drain bolt in, so I didn't want to mess with it. I bought a hand pump from west marine and that worked well to do a change from the top.

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
once you get old and lazy you have no desire to crawl under a vehicle anymore...plus the filter is SUPER easy to access and its mounted topside...plus its a very clean way of changing your oil!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Did you have any trouble getting all 6 qts out?

I tried the topsider once. It was hard to feel where the bottom of the oil pan was for me. I could shove 20 ft of hose on there and never get a good feel for the bottom.

Anyway, I pumped where it felt like the bottom and only pulled 4 qts.

Since my oil change place told me they'd put my oil in for $25, I'm doing that right now.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I'm old and lazy but I have no problem reaching under the Promaster to remove the drain plug to insure all the old oil and crap gets drained out!:eek:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1- my promaster is a little more difficult to get under due to the front spoiler and the sidepipes

2- the oil sucky thing, comes with a bunch of presized tubes...the one that fit the promasters dip stick was very close in length to the actual dip stick...so i assume it got most, but not every ounce, as it took 5 quarts to refill it

·
Registered
810 Posts
I like the lazy way..
lay down on a peice of cardboard and slide under a bit.
Laying down fits me well.
getting up is tough. So is forgetting the ratchet after youve layed down..
jeeezzz

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
But the hot oil running down your arm feels extra good on a cold winters day!

·
Registered
35 Posts
To make things easier I replaced the drain plug with a valve (http://www.qwikvalve.com). Piece of cake now, no dropping the drain plug in the oil or getting part of your hand doused with hot oil! I did this on my sprinter and it worked great. The PM is the easiest oil change I have ever done over the last 40+ years of changing oil on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
One 13mm wrench, one rag, one piece of cardboard, and that drain plug is out in about 30 seconds with complete drainage and minimal effort. I see no reason on this vehicle to re-invent that process. No ramps, no floor jack, only your arm needs to go under the truck. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm old and lazy but I have no problem reaching under the Promaster to remove the drain plug to insure all the old oil and crap gets drained out!:eek:
Not to mention the fact it's a good excuse to look things over. Checking for leaks, stray grease, torn boots, and loose components is a good way to avoid being stranded or gouged on the price of an emergency repair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The PM is listed, I plugged in Ram, 2014, 2500 in the vehicle search boxes and had no problem, they have one valve, F106 that comes in three different versions to chose from plus a couple of accessories. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I have photos of just about everything but the oil drain plug. You really can't miss it tho there is no drain plug on the auto tranny so it's hard to remove the wrong one.

Here is a thread I wrote about how I change the filter and more important the replacement plug you should order to replace the crappy OEM one. I've done 9 oil changes so far and the only real problem was getting the original drain plug out without destroying it!

It takes a M14-1.50 size plug (very common) and you can get them at any auto parts store for about $6-$8! I happened to get the Dorman 090-115.1 from Amazon for $6 but they have gone up to $8 now I see.

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=332938&postcount=4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts