Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just got back from town and returning the jacks. . . .
Were they picky about checking the numbers?

My 6-ton look identical. I checked there are 2 small stickers, and neither number matches what is in the recall.

Then there is the immediate question of how to replace them.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Were they picky about checking the numbers?

My 6-ton look identical. I checked there are 2 small stickers, and neither number matches what is in the recall.

Then there is the immediate question of how to replace them.
He did check the numbers.

Yes -- do need to get replacements -- maybe not Harbor Freight this time :)

Gary

·
Registered
221 Posts
The affected units go back until 2013. Can't have had too many fail to not be noticed til now. Just covering liability I imagine. I've never had them care to check anything, may depend on location, but at least half the time they venture a guess as to what's wrong with something before I even try to explain why I want to return a thing. It takes a special skill to know the difference between a decent discount and straight dud there

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm kinda freaked out because just a couple of weekends ago my son and I were under the ProMaster 3500 wrenching around on the springs and axels while it was supported by HF stands that look identical to the HF ones in the recall. It does not help that the boss was "worried" about us being under there and I bragged that the stands were super safe -- pushing at the van (no one under it at the time of course) to demonstrate how solid it was.

I don't care if there is a recall on my exact part number or not -- my confidence in those stands is now at zero. They are going back for credit or disposal.

After searching all around locally, it seems like every available stand is identical to or a variant of that same ratcheting design.

I opted for a pair of serious-looking, professional-quality Esco 10499 stands. They have a sturdy build, a nice stance, and the center part is solid steel. I'm sure they will not be as convenient as the ratcheting design, but I really like the simplicity of the beefy pin.

Web: 3 Ton Performance Shorty Style Jack Stand
Manual: https://esco.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/10497_10498_10498_Instructions-18-small.pdf
Spec Sheet: http://esco.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/10497-10499ss.pdf

Amazon: Amazon.com: ESCO 10498 Jack Stand, 3 Ton Capacity: Industrial & Scientific
ASE Deals: ESCO 10499 "Shorty Style" Jack Stand | PAIR

·
Registered
505 Posts
Almost picked up a set of those H. F. jack stands a while ago and now glad I didn't. Currently have a pair similar in operation to those depicted above, with pins you have to remove, line up, insert, etc. The ratchet looks a LOT more convenient and adjustable, but safety first!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'm kinda freaked out because just a couple of weekends ago my son and I were under the ProMaster 3500 wrenching around on the springs and axels while it was supported by HF stands that look identical to the HF ones in the recall. It does not help that the boss was "worried" about us being under there and I bragged that the stands were super safe -- pushing at the van (no one under it at the time of course) to demonstrate how solid it was.

I don't care if there is a recall on my exact part number or not -- my confidence in those stands is now at zero. They are going back for credit or disposal.

After searching all around locally, it seems like every available stand is identical to or a variant of that same ratcheting design.

I opted for a pair of serious-looking, professional-quality Esco 10499 stands. They have a sturdy build, a nice stance, and the center part is solid steel. I'm sure they will not be as convenient as the ratcheting design, but I really like the simplicity of the beefy pin.
I feel the same way -- Harbor Freight stuff can be a good value, especially for tools you don't plan to use a lot, but I'm going to stay away from them for safety related stuff.

I like the ones you found -- will probably go the same way.
Amazon has some ones they call double pin jacks, but not clear to me exactly what that brings to the safety picture. Also like the good height range and good base on the Escos.
More money, but getting crushed under the van would ruin your whole day.

Gary

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Fwiw, no matter what stands I'm using on whatever vehicle, I always throw extra chunks of stacked 4x4 somewhere under the frame, leave the jack in place and if I have a wheel off, I'll lay that down and skooch under the frame somewhere.
Point is, it's never just the stands when I'm under the vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
. . . getting crushed under the van would ruin your whole day. . .
Agreed. Worse: having your kid crushed under the van could ruin the miserable remainder of your life :-(
. . . Point is, it's never just the stands when I'm under the vehicle.
Yes. At the minimum leaving the jack in. Also important: leave it in park, set parking brake, chock wheels.

The sh*t I got away with on the farm . . . jacking tractors, water-filled rear tractor wheels, splitting them, ratcheting cable "come-alongs" and those horrible widow-maker "HiLift" mechanical jacks.

It's a wonder I made it out with my life and all my limbs.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Right there with ya.
I figure if you make it to 40-50 with all your digits, you're way ahead of the game. Quit while you're ahead and don't take any more chances.
At least not the dumb ones like you would 20-30 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
Baxsie,
I went through those same experiences and have all my digits and limbs. However a neighbor lost a son jump starting a tractor and another lost and arm and lower leg trying to free up the pto driven chopper. Great young men who would have been you or me if their luck had been as good as ours. I work on the van and other vehicles using RnR’s system. At 68 I bought a real garage lift and installed with my son and installed it in his garage so I have a safer system and a companion.

·
Registered
327 Posts
. . . those same experiences . . .
My brother managed to run over himself with the tractor. He was in 4th grade and went to shut it down. For safety the rule was to always leave it in gear when they are parked. He tried to do it from the ground, standing in front of the wheel rear wheel. Four broken ribs and the tire scrubbed the side of his face so hard it about ripped his ear off. Dad flagged down a neighbor and they took him to the hospital in town. I still remember seeing the tractor from the house, hours later, nose down in the ditch, still running with one wheel spinning slowly in the air.

The next morning the tractor was out of the ditch and parked nearby. Good neighbors I suppose -- though no one ever admitted it.

On the eve of my prom, my buddy and I loaded 40 sacks of seed on the back end of a 2-wheel trailer -- behind the axel because that was easier -- and headed down the big hill. Me driving the tricycle gear Minneapolis Moline "R" and my buddy on the trailer. Of course it started oscillating and eventually dug a rim and flipped. No roll bar, no seat belt. Luckily, I was tossed in such a way that I was not under the tractor and also not run over by the trailer. The tractor was 180° upside down, all the tin smashed flat, valiantly trying to run until it coughed black smoke and died. Still have the faintest scar on my hip from where they scrubbed out the road rash.

Did not make it to prom that night.

Just lucky to be here.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
On the other hand I can back up my PM van about 25 miles per hour and back up a trailer and turn it into a parking slot first try. There are some things you get as well as the risk. You know how to load a trailer and work on the van on jacks and so many other things who's value you take for granted. Questions about mechanics, power, electricity, fluid mechanics, traction and so much more are familiar enough to me to make at least an attempt to answer them. Much of that came from my early life on the farm.

·
Super Moderator
8,009 Posts
RD - how many eegs make a dozen? Is there a difference between a bakers dozen and a farmers dozen? So many questions and so little time! Just asking for a friend.😏

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
How many hens for a 3 egg omelet each for two people every morning? (It’s not 6)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Is the hen house on swival that allows the over the driver hen house to swivel outside and does the slide out Jacuzzi get in the way.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 106 Posts