Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
100 yrs ago, I tried my hand at furniture, fancy shelves, even tried designing a few odd shaped speaker cabinets. It was a hobby and done in my spare time in the little halfassed shop I set up in my basement. I think that was a little before the Kreg deal came out. If I had continued spending that amount of time with wood working, I'm absolutely sure that I would have gotten one a long time ago.
Me asking about it now just made me realize how long it's been since I've done any type finish carpentry beyond a small repair.
I do miss it.
Hoping to sort out the new house mess and have a pole barn up in the next year or 2 so I can finally have a real shop.
I'm sure my wife would appreciate me having a place to go, too.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Picked up the HF jig.
Looks like it's a flat shoulder in the counter sink and the screws are standard pan heads that I can probably find anywhere.
Should be fun to use.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
I have the Kreg mini tool/screws. I nailed my cabinet boxes together with a brad nailer and am letting the glue (which is stronger than the wood) hold eerything together. 5 years and so far so good!

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
About 15 years ago, I made a tall chest of salvaged kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. Because the doors were nice plywood I might want to use later for something else, I fastened the carcass with just pocket screws—no glue. Five large drawers hold heavy stuff like screws and nails. The carcass has not budged. That said, I would not trust pocket-screw-only joints subjected to the vibration in the van, but they would probably be fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I do a lot of drilling often in steel or stainless steel. Being a hack, I often break my most used bits (1/4 inch, for instance). Or ruin the tip by hitting a spot of hard weld, or getting in a hurry and galling stainless.

Then you have the quandary, buy some individual bits at a high individual price, or a new set?

So I stumbled across some "Super Tool" carbide - tipped jobber drills:

I have tried it out, and so far, I love it. My guess is that these are for "real" machine work, not intended for an aging farm boy rolling around in the gravel under a ProMaster.

I wish that they offered a small set.

All the sizes here:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about this.
I was going to use glue and nailer because I didn't have the joint jig.
I will probably use a combination of both methods.
And I usually glue everything. Regardless of the fastener.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They make 3 and 5 packs of bits, same size as each other, and I've now found out why. They might be your go-to. I always replace the whole bit set. If I've broken one, I've dulled or broken all it's near sizes too and it's way more cost effective

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes,the Milwaukee cobalts are good bits. Haven't tried on stainless but they go through steel pretty good.

Also, using the great stuff pro gun at the moment. First time I've every used expanding foam and not hated it.
A must have if you use great stuff.
And don't be like me, remember to wear gloves.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
What makes Kreg screws special is their design and quality. They are self-drilling and tapered, so they (almost) never split the wood. I bought my first Kreg jig (R3, 2-holer) at the beginning of this van conversion project, based on member recommendations here. What a game changer! I even used the simple generic cabinet plans that came with it. The best part is being able to glue and assemble continuously without clamping or waiting for glue to cure. And it feels more sure-fire accurate than other methods. A Kreg-style C-clamp really speeds things up. I use a welder's vise-grip C-clamp with swivel pads.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts