Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Bumping this thread a year later.

This vest is my new favorite tool. I do not like tool belts and this works even when I'm crawling around inside a cabinet. I keep some core tools in it and add what I need for the current project.

I'm getting a lot more use out of my oscillating spindle sander than I expected. It is great for smoothing all the aluminum channel I'm using. Also getting good use from my good mechanical pencil and this tiny precision square. I've gone mostly metric in my measuring, so a combo square is good.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The tool I love the most is my Leatherman Surge. I use it daily. The only time it's not on my belt is when I'm sleeping or wearing sweats. Even if I leave the house in sweats, it comes with. It's a part of the keys/wallet pile.
Hard to really "hate" any tools, but something I really dislike and find disappointing are the Ridgid and newer Ryobi (bright green) cordless circ saws. The older style dark blue Ryobi circ saw is a much better design and cuts much better. Thankfully I still had one to add to my collection of newer Ryobi cordless tools.
The cordless multi tool is pretty handy and I was tickled pink when I learned they made cordless grinders. Even better when I learned the Ryobi grinder was only $40!! It's a life saver for sharpening bush hog blades in the field with no drama, when there's no access to power.
Actually, I love all my cordless Ryobi tools. Love my Bosch corded jigsaw too.
Bought A DeWalt compound sliding mitre saw with a stand for $400, two Black Fridays ago. Great saw and great price. Used it to build 2 porch decks and cut a bunch of baseboard so far. That saw will probably see a lot of miles in it's life. Picked up a cheap Ryobi table saw with stand also. It works ok, but not high end.
I have access to a drill press and band saw at work, but some things I would like to get when the new house is done and when/if I can get a pole barn up, are a nice table saw, drill press, scroll saw and I need a new router.
And if I can dream, I wouldn't mind an E45 Bobcat excavator. That would be a close 2nd to the Leatherman as my favorite tool.

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
Thanks RnR! I am using a Wave now but carried a Pulse for years. I like that the wave lets me open a blade one handed when I need it to cut my other hand free. As a youth I loved the show “Paladin” and the attributes of the character. He was a sophisticated man of means who was well educated but was wiling to work for those who needed his special skills. Often without remuneration when his client could not pay.

I am not the man Richard Boone played but I carry my leatherman always as you do and try to meet the ideals his character had. See: Have Gun – Will Travel - Wikipedia

·
Super Moderator
8,009 Posts
Now ask RD how his Leatherman saved him in the desert (but only if you want to read the whole story in the “Leatherman News" ...

·
Registered
631 Posts
sounds like great story

I found my multi-tool in after Xmas clearance sale....has a screwdriver bit accessories that is hard to find.....still looking for one for brother....can find them on web but not at discount

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
Now ask RD how his Leatherman saved him in the desert (but only if you want to read the whole story in the “Leatherman News" ...
Probably saved the lives of 4 of us, or the embarrassment and cost of a huge search team rescue. That is IF they found us. And yes I did post it on the Leatherman site but by now it must be in the long lost archive.
After that experience I don’t quibble about cost. I buy the best quality multi-tool which as a 25 year guarantee that will get you a new tool or a repair if yours breaks. Tim Leatherman is THE man IMHO! Saved my life once saved my asp many times. Buy quality, carry, you don’t know when it will be needed. I don’t have any ownership or relationship to the company.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hi,
I got a Makita track saw about a year ago and find I use it more and more -- quick to set up on large sheets and nice clean and straight cuts
Great for making cabinets, bed pedestals etc. for van conversions.

I have an old, heavy Grizzly table saw that I love, but sometimes its just easier to use the tracks saw instead of wrestling a big sheet of plywood onto the table saw.

Gary

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hi RNR,

I've had one for about 10 years, and use it fairly often.
I started with this small one: https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-KHC-MICRO-Classic-Frame-Clamp/dp/B086MNGF3J/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=kreg&qid=1589564741&sr=8-3

Later invested in a fancier one, but they both work fine. The fancier one just makes it a little faster to setup joints.

Pretty widely available -- our local Ace hardware carries them.

You have to use their special screws, so that's a bit of a pain if you already have an inventory of screws.

I almost always use glue plus the Kreg screws -- I think this makes for much stronger/stiffer joints.

Gary

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish I saw this thread sooner. I'm glad it got revived.

The jobmax line it super versatile and I wish I found it sooner. Some ingenuity, simple jigs, and all the newish drill attachments make it so you can pretty much do anything with a drill, circular saw, and jig saw.

My trusty framing hammer is by far my favorite tool though. Not as versatile as the Leatherman, but an absolutely awe-inspiring 'reset button'.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Bumping this thread a year later.

This vest is my new favorite tool. I do not like tool belts and this works even when I'm crawling around inside a cabinet. I keep some core tools in it and add what I need for the current project.

I'm getting a lot more use out of my oscillating spindle sander than I expected. It is great for smoothing all the aluminum channel I'm using. Also getting good use from my good mechanical pencil and this tiny precision square. I've gone mostly metric in my measuring, so a combo square is good.

is that a SLICC?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone have the the Kreg joint jig thingy?
Where did you find it and about how much do they cost?
I have the mini, home depot shows it for $14. Works great, but the larger/bigger versions are probably quicker/easier to use. The mini is just a single jig and drill bit, nothing more. Been using it a lot for my van cabinets. Like GaryBIS said, the screws are pricey, but they're good quality. Buy them in bulk on amazon only in the size you need.

·
Super Moderator
8,009 Posts
Actually H F has a version that’s even better for under $50 inc screws. The Kreg screws are the best but the HF jig beats theirs - who woulda thunk?

41 - 60 of 106 Posts