Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a simple Craftsman rolling 4 drawer chest I got on sale. I was going to take drawers out and put noico soundproofing on interior walls of chest but couldn't figure out how to remove them so I just took rubber shelve material and laid it inside of drawers. It has a butcher block insert for top (not in photo) which has the same lip on bottom so I attached 2x4 braces on floor fitted it so that the chest fits snugly on top of 2x4s using VHB tape between chest and braces and then screwed bottom lip to wood. There is a lock bar that I placed foam tape on to reduced rattling that secures the doors when traveling.

I use the chest for light weight storage of backpacking stove, slider and back door screens and curtains and usb cigarette sockets for my simple solar/electric system.

I got the idea of using tool chests from watch The Singletrack Sampler (Alex's van build) http://bit.ly/2ovQ8hP (click on leave YouTube site to his personal site and you will get links back to build) on YouTube. There's a great series of videos by Alex and 2 of his friends chronicling his build. They did a great job . He used soundproofing in his chest and later even put in a sink and water system using the chest. Worth a view on YouTube.

There is an occasional rattle from the chest but rare as the van's ride is very smooth on good pavement. Only happens on rough road and I really don't think you'd notice it that much. I did install noico soundproofing and 3m thinsulate in my build so quiet is important to me. Only wish I hadn't used VHB tape on install because I'm thinking about replacing current tool chest with a larger version.

Enjoy your build. And remember that there's always a good use for a tool chest if it doesn't work out in your build.
Good Luck.
Mark

BECD9563-FC75-4939-B7E3-A95653B60E30_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone put any larger tool chests in their van? How was it with rattling and making noise? I'm considering placing a larger tool chest in my van, like in the link below, but im concerned about hearing the metal and slides rattling. Anyone have experience with this?

Here is what I see happening. Even with rubber mats in the drawers, everytime you hit the brakes all of the tools will come crashing to the side of the van facing forward. You are also going to have to find a way to bolt the tool chest to the floor and find a way to keep it from topling over on a sharp turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone put any larger tool chests in their van? How was it with rattling and making noise? I'm considering placing a larger tool chest in my van, like in the link below, but im concerned about hearing the metal and slides rattling. Anyone have experience with this?

I have I built a full work van

·
Registered
106 Posts
The cheaper cabinets have very cheap drawer hardware. The roller sliders won't hold up well. Hand tools WILL rattle around and stuff will get tossed about inside them and can jam the drawers due to gaps and overlaps at the rears of the drawers. That said, the new Harbor Freight cabinets are pretty well made and a good value. I have helped my son assemble a few and I have one set up for my welding machines and I like it a lot. I am old enough that two roll aways in the shop are 1983 Sears vintage that my wife bought for me when we were newly weds and I have a good USA made one I got off Craigslist that was a former crash cart in a hospital. Good bargain at just $100. The used market on these can be quite good.
Year ago I had a friend who tried to transport a large tool cabinet in a trailer and even tied down it moved enough to wreck the sides of the trailer. He had to buy the trailer owner a new trailer! It was quite a F up. So these things are heavy loaded and need to be secure very well. Not just for traveling but take into consideration minor collision effects as well.
For general purpose tools to carry on a journey, I use cheap canvas tool bags and just throw them where ever in the van. I use a sharpy marker to tell me generally what is in each bag. Like one bag for tie down stuff. One for tire repairs. Etc.

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Beautiful set of cabinets!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I source lateral filing cabinets from my Habitat for Humanity ReStore, 2,3,4,5 drawers for $15-$40, lots of bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
I don't speak fluent KOV just yet, but I think he meant the van tipping over.
Trust my long experience- you will never really speak (or understand fully) KOV speak. Many of us have tried and failed. OTOH we have the clear, clean and focused forum largely due to his consistent speak. I guess that is a thank you.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts