Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put any larger tool chests in their van? How was it with rattling and making noise? I'm considering placing a larger tool chest in my van, like in the link below, but im concerned about hearing the metal and slides rattling. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone put any larger tool chests in their van? How was it with rattling and making noise? I'm considering placing a larger tool chest in my van, like in the link below, but im concerned about hearing the metal and slides rattling. Anyone have experience with this?

I'd be more concerned about it killing me. Tool boxes are heavy. Something like that would need to be securely bolted down to the floor and wall.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Those are loud and rattly and the tools bounce around just rolling it on the ground.
I'm sure it would be a nightmare in a van.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The main complaint (regret) I've read about is how shallow the drawers are. It's going to rattle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not concerned about the weight, it would obviously be strapped or bolted down. im only concerned about noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have quality cabinets Craftmans Pro tool cabinets in my van. Yes sometimes they rattle. I put magnets on the back of the draws which fixed most of it,

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
It sound like you would use it for "tools of the dog trainer trade" - not necessarily socket wrenches, and heavy duty metal tools.... maybe a different type of cabinet would be better for your tools and be less prone to noise.

Like, maybe a wooden drawer cabinet? Plastic tubs in a shelf unit with a door? It could be lined with cloth/foam/etc. I put a towel in the bottom of my kitchen cabinet drawers, and there is no "tool" noise.

Looking forward to pics!

·
Registered
508 Posts
It sound like you would use it for "tools of the dog trainer trade" - not necessarily socket wrenches, and heavy duty metal tools.... maybe a different type of cabinet would be better for your tools and be less prone to noise.

Like, maybe a wooden drawer cabinet? Plastic tubs in a shelf unit with a door? It could be lined with cloth/foam/etc. I put a towel in the bottom of my kitchen cabinet drawers, and there is no "tool" noise.

Looking forward to pics!
I like what Proeddie suggested.

We have a lot of our camping items in plastic tubs (with no doors even) and no rattle - no issues at all really;
IMG_1687.JPG

·
Registered
508 Posts
RV8R,

do you have a wood strip or some other way to keep the 'drawers' from sliding out in a quick turn situation?

That looks good, and very flexible!
No actually. We have no retainer at all.

We have about 20,000 miles on these bins (some of it on twisty turny highways), and never had a bin come off the cabinet. This has surprised us as we thought of many ways to retain the bins and found out we don't need to.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/trofast-toy-storage-series-19027/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-D3sYP15QIVghh9Ch1WvQo0EAAYASAAEgIZvvD_BwE

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used a mechanic’s tool chest for my kitchen cabinet and it has worked well for me. The drawers came with rubber liners and are not too noisy. I like having the key lock all eight drawers at once, and I don’t mind that a few of the drawers are shallow, it keeps me from losing stuff at the bottom.
Andy

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used a mechanic’s tool chest for my kitchen cabinet and it has worked well for me. The drawers came with rubber liners and are not too noisy. I like having the key lock all eight drawers at once, and I don’t mind that a few of the drawers are shallow, it keeps me from losing stuff at the bottom.
Andy
Mind sharing how you mounted your tool chest? I'm planning for something similar. Shallow drawers will hold cuttery and cooking utensils, deeper ones for pots, ect... Plus like the locking option for electronics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No actually. We have no retainer at all.

We have about 20,000 miles on these bins (some of it on twisty turny highways), and never had a bin come off the cabinet. This has surprised us as we thought of many ways to retain the bins and found out we don't need to.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/trofast-toy-storage-series-19027/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-D3sYP15QIVghh9Ch1WvQo0EAAYASAAEgIZvvD_BwE
We have Ikea drawers in our build. One set on each side of the sink beneath the counter. I ran shock cord about 2" inside each outer edge up and down. You just push tehm aside with your hands as you pull the drawer out. Or you can pull it out about a third of the way just stretching it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We have Ikea drawers in our build. One set on each side of the sink beneath the counter. I ran shock cord about 2" inside each outer edge up and down. You just push tehm aside with your hands as you pull the drawer out. Or you can pull it out about a third of the way just stretching it.
great idea - thanks 👍

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have a rolling cabinet like the bottom half secured with ratchet staps inside the sliding door .But the whole thing would be a bit much there.Ive driven with this 6K miles and on rough roads .You can line drawers with the grippy rubber stuff .I think your trying to do it cheaper but the stuff made for high roof vans might be better from vantech is made for these vans especialy if you like to go all the way to the roof.But look at homak stuff

1 - 20 of 33 Posts