Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I'm disappointed.

There is a lot to like about the PM and I had done the research and was ready to pull the trigger. I like the FWD. I like the gasser Pentastar/ 6spd drivetrain. Heck, even the homely mug was starting to grow on me.

I test drove the first one to arrive in our area. It had a cargo partition that restricted the seat adjustment and was way to cramped for me to get comfortable in. So I waited a few weeks until one showed up without the partition.

I test drove that one a few days ago. It wasn't much better.

I wouldn't want to drive that thing 30 miles. No way in the world could I stand a 300 mile day.

It is ergonomically the worst rig I have ever driven. Period.

For reference sake, I'm 6'4", weigh 275 lbs, and wear 32" inseam pants.

Well Sergio, you messed up and blew the sale. You forgot to take care of the guy writing the check. :mad:

Good luck to the rest of you guys. I'm out. Waitin' on the Ford . . .

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Sorry DennisV to hear this, that's to bad this is not good for big people.
But you do what you have to do, no use on buying something and being
uncomfortable,I would do the same thing also.
Good luck to you and the Transit. It should work out for you.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Did not having the partition help any at all?

It wouldn't be the first vehicle seating position I've modified. Even cars, I've unbolted seats and modified them. When I want something, I find a away.

If you could move the seat, would it work?

Dam short people :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Without the partition there is room for someone taller than I, at 6'
The thing I noticed vs the e series and gm vans is my knee was not rubbing the doghouse, and my left foot was not on the wheel well hump. I just sat in it, no drive so maybe would find some annoyances with more seat time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
sure it was designed for little Italian and French guys by little Italian and French guys... They forgot America is land of the huge...

why do you think the small truck segment died off, guys too big to get in and out of Ford Rangers. Good luck on the Transit, keep us posted, I'm sure theres a few of us interested in both.

·
Registered
363 Posts
seems like they just rebadge the Ducato as a PM and decided to sell it to us rather than tailoring the cabin to suit american's. I guess they care more about the Sprinter than the PM at this point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The problem I think are the seats that RAM choose for U.S., infact european, australian, ... FIAT Ducato have differents seats that are thiner.
In northen Italy people is taller and in Europe is sold in The Netherlands, country with population that is taller than north americans.

In Italy for goods transport the cargo partition it is installed always since therea norm that impose it for safety reasons, so it is not the partition the problem. The problem are the seats, that probably are from another kind of vehicle.

Is there another seat option?
Here You find australian seats (same as in Europe) scroll down till you find in interiors section.

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
That guy does look about 6'2 to me. It looks like he can't reach steering wheel comfortably if he leans back.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Did not having the partition help any at all?

.....cut.....
I just compared two PMs side-by-side and the partition does make a big difference in leg room. With the partition I had the seat adjusted all the way back and I could reach the pedals just right. My inseam is 32 inches.

With no partition and the seat adjusted all the way back, I could not reach the pedals at all. I'd guess a difference of at least 2 inches in reach.

I will state that I couldn't figure out the difference with the seats. The base appeared bolted to the same position on the floor. With both seats all the way back there was the same amount of seat track showing in front, yet I could reach pedals in one and not even close in the other. The distance from my right knee to dash was significantly different too so I'm pretty sure that my body was sitting further back; although I can't say why.

I wish I would have had a tape measure with me to see if the seats themselves are different in length. That's the only thing I forgot to look at while comparing the two.

And to be clear, in order to get the seat all the way back on its track on the van with partition, I had to lean it forward way more than I'd want for comfort. Fortunately I'm not interested in a van with partition so it's not an issue for me. Other design details were, but not the seat position itself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just compared two PMs side-by-side and the partition does make a big difference in leg room. With the partition I had the seat adjusted all the way back and I could reach the pedals just right. My inseam is 32 inches.

With no partition and the seat adjusted all the way back, I could not reach the pedals at all. I'd guess a difference of at least 2 inches in reach.

I will state that I couldn't figure out the difference with the seats. The base appeared bolted to the same position on the floor. With both seats all the way back there was the same amount of seat track showing in front, yet I could reach pedals in one and not even close in the other. The distance from my right knee to dash was significantly different too so I'm pretty sure that my body was sitting further back; although I can't say why.

I wish I would have had a tape measure with me to see if the seats themselves are different in length. That's the only thing I forgot to look at while comparing the two.

And to be clear, in order to get the seat all the way back on its track on the van with partition, I had to lean it forward way more than I'd want for comfort. Fortunately I'm not interested in a van with partition so it's not an issue for me. Other design details were, but not the seat position itself.
care to elaborate on the 'other details' ?

·
Registered
363 Posts

I guess you won't be getting a ProMaster? Maybe a Sprinter instead? unless you have something that you're already using.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
care to elaborate on the 'other details' ?
First, they were all white work vans. Very plain. I want it as a camping/travel vehicle and the interiors of the dozen or so vans there were too utilitarian. Nothing wrong with that for work but not what I'm after. I need something closer to my Honda Odyssey in level of luxury appointments. The PMs' door panels were too bare and map pockets too large and crude for a personal van.

Step-in is quite high. My wife would have a problem getting in without a running board. And the grab handle above door instead of A pillar is too high for her to reach.

With three-person front seating there is too little room to go through to rear. Even with two buckets room between seats is less than I had hoped for. This is probably to add to side impact safety. Seats are far from doors.

I was quite impressed with cargo area, but must see a higher-end van before I'd consider one at this time. I'm hoping Winnebago and others will upgrade interior.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm 6' and once I got used to sitting taller in the seat it is more like driving a semi I drove a 379 Peterbuilt and the sitting position is similar. I put 3 to 4 hundred miles a day when I'm on the road. I feel a lot more comfortable than the E250 that I used to drive. I bet though much pass 6'2" and it might be tuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 6'2 and when I first sat in it with a partition I was so disappointed. I started to leave the dealership. Then I found one in back without a partition move seat back and adjusted backrest and wow what a difference that made. My only problem was the steering wheel not being able to tilt it back made me have to lean up more than I wanted to and left foot still in a crowded space. I just might still can make do with this setup. My question is I would like the suspension seat and was wondering if it sets up any higher and is less mobile as in sliding back as the regular seat.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
24 Participants
bulldogneon
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing