Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, not too late if I kiss my deposit goodbye. Placed an order today for a 1500 136" high roof gasser. Thanks to everyone here for the info they have provided.

Paid a little under invoice, seemed a good deal. So 90% MSRP on van, 85% MSRP on options (you people do know about holdback, right?). In the end, really wanted my graphite color choice, so why not factory order and then get the other things I would have had to aftermarket anyway.

Why not, the 4 month wait, that's why not. But since my vehicles are kept 10 years+, I figured invest to get as close as I can to what I want now.

Moving forward, assuming no dealer trickery, next steps would be outfitting to match my current Econoline setup but better. House battery, large inverter, fold-up bunk, shelving, rear step, thermal insulation, partition curtain, along with a tri-camera setup.

And speaking of my Econoline, I am somewhat determined to better match its 35 gal. fuel capacity. I don't see why I can't find a shallow 8-15 gallon fuel tank to mount on the underside and plumb vent and fill lines to the existing tank.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
Ah.... the wait! I've only done it a few times in my car purchases...but it's worth it for the Graphite - that's what I have.

I was lucky. I found a Graphite back in 2014 when they were almost all white. It was 2 states and about 3 hours away, but worth the trip. The price was better than local deals too!

There's an expanded gas tank thread on the forum... search should find it.

ed

·
Registered
625 Posts
I realize its a personal thing, but I still don't get why folks want such a fuel capacity. 24 gallons should be far more travel time than your legs or bladder should have to deal with. Stop, move around, and refuel; you and your body.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My 2 cents. Good point Zyzzyx . But lets say the dash is screaming "get gas now". And there's a station up ahead, the only one for hours in any direction. The price is 4.99 a gal. Less than an hour away is a metropolis with 40+ stations having a "price war" and giving out Green Stamps. $2.49 . Just flip a switch and the electric pump tops off the main from the auxiliary. Dash calms down and you have buyers choice.
I just looked up a "fuel cell" on Summit . 9" deep 25" x 25" . 22 gallons . Put your own IN OUT VENT holes/fittings. Hummm ???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was 2 states and about 3 hours away,
You must be in the historic part of the country. Hereabouts you're not going to hit your third state in a mere 3 hours, maybe not even your second state. Okay, I guess if you were at Four Corners...

And yes, Graphite has a certain charm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...I still don't get why folks want such a fuel capacity.
I've gone coast to coast about a dozen times, 10 times in the 35 gal. Econoline, then 4 times in a 24 gal. SUV. I did not enjoy stopping for fuel every 200 miles in the SUV versus every 600 miles in the Econoline. Heading East I'd delay refueling as prices get less, heading West I'd do the reverse. Skip whole states with higher fuel taxes. With the SUV I was a mere mortal, stopping all the time. Twice in the SUV I nearly had to coast into a station on fumes when I misjudged the last 1/4's consumption and how remote the area turned out to be.

Driving from the mountains to the coast, and back, and on a half tank is something I've gotten use to. Just handy for me. Nice to drive to Burning Man and back with still plenty of fuel after a six hour exit line and not have to worry nor have to wait behind everyone else at the one podunk fuel station.

Had I never had such a large fuel tank, I would have never missed its advantages, at least for me. But hey, I'm an outlier, my two cars are a bike and cargo van :)

Yes, good to stop and stretch, just easier and more enjoyable at a rest stop. I put a fold down bunk in the back of the van so if I got the least bit road weary during the day, I wouldn't hesitate to visit the next rest stop and take a nap. But that's a different thread than a large fuel capacity...

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you know where you are going, it takes about 5 minutes on gas buddy to scout out your likely fuel stops and best prices, it is not really that hard. Only issue would be if you want to do a bunch of driving in back country without coming in for fuel. That is what portable fuel cans are for - get 5 or 10 gallons and carry it when you know you are going to need it. Fuel stations with the actual price are available with just a little trying, it is pretty simple.

Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've gone coast to coast about a dozen times, 10 times in the 35 gal. Econoline, then 4 times in a 24 gal. SUV. I did not enjoy stopping for fuel every 200 miles in the SUV versus every 600 miles in the Econoline. Heading East I'd delay refueling as prices get less, heading West I'd do the reverse. Skip whole states with higher fuel taxes. With the SUV I was a mere mortal, stopping all the time. Twice in the SUV I nearly had to coast into a station on fumes when I misjudged the last 1/4's consumption and how remote the area turned out to be.
I agree - I hated my 2000 F150 for its abysmal gas mileage and seemingly tiny tank.

I have a 136 gas lowroof and get 19 to 21 mpg. That gives it a range of about 500 miles. And we do plan our gas stops to avoid high tax states.

On another note I thought I heard that NJ was hiking their gas tax by 30 cents. That's ok - I can make it to Virginia on my treks south.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I too would like the extra tank capacity. with an on board porta potty and having all our food and drinks on board it would be nice to not have to stop every 400 miles on a trip. Plus when you stop for gas and the wife and kids go inside to the bathroom its usually disgusting and its a 20 dollar bill in junk food and pop so that's a $20 dollar savings every time we don't stop lol. Give me 1000 miles!!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
For the Fiat Ducato there is a larger fuel tank that can be ordered as option (4G9 option). Capacity is 125 liter (33 U.S.A. gallons) instead of standard 90 liter one.
Maybe is an option decicated to RV manufacturers in U.S.A. or maybe didn't add it for Ram Promaster?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts