Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that by being under 20' I could park just about anywhere, and then I see this. How common is this? Is this vicious signage? Or is it only where it is needed?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm near DC, and I'm sure I've seen similar signs along the streets down town and in other historic areas in VA, MD, and PA. I see it mostly in areas where pedestrian traffic is the norm mostly out of necessity because the streets are so narrow and for safety reasons. Vehicle traffic or pedestrians do have a difficult time seeing around these larger than normal vehicles.

I saw this...interesting.
http://www.independent.com/news/2017/feb/16/santa-barbara-city-hall-rock-hard-place-RVs/

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
****. Last spring we traveled through the south and out to Key West and we were so happy to be able to park on the street in New Orleans and in Key West with our 136". Our van fit nicely in both places and we saw no signage to prohibit us. If these size restrictions become popular as a means to restrict “undesirables” we will not be able to visit. BTW we spent a bunch of money in both cities- that will go away too. Our only crime would be that our van is too tall. As a builder I stopped installing 7 ft. tall garage doors and went to 8 ft. as so many full sized pickup trucks will barely go in or with anything on top won’t. That’s 84 inches, too tall for these rules.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I'm near DC, and I'm sure I've seen similar signs along the streets down town and in other historic areas in VA, MD, and PA. I see it mostly in areas where pedestrian traffic is the norm mostly out of necessity because the streets are so narrow and for safety reasons. Vehicle traffic or pedestrians do have a difficult time seeing around these larger than normal vehicles. I saw this...interesting.
http://www.independent.com/news/2017/feb/16/santa-barbara-city-hall-rock-hard-place-RVs/
When RVs are outlawed, only us outlaws will have RVs. The Hole-in-the-Roof Gang?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Up at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix there is a lot for “High Profile Vehicles.” My grandson wanted to know it that was where the limousines and the important people park.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I can understand issues with vehicles greater than 20' taking up lots of space, but will they really go after a high-top 136" WB? Are there any examples of this?

Mike

·
Registered
212 Posts
I guess it depends on the signage - in this instance a high or low roof 136"wb would be too tall and maybe too wide.(??) I can't see the picture in Skaggydog's post on my work computer, and can't recall the restrictions from when I saw it last night.

Did you see the news article in post #3 - going after Sprinter Vans/RVs? I found that with a quick search to see how common it is - one of the first articles and from this year. If it's not common now, it might be in the future for some communities.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Just to be clear... some posts mention special Oversized Lots. In lots of locations, these are provided for high vehicles that won't fit in a parking garage.... seems like some people are thinking about us!

In Hartford CT, the Civic Center (used for RV shows, flower shows, car shows, etc.) has special parking for vehicles that won't fit in the parking garage. It is combined with handicapped parking and there is never a space available for the RV show. So, you can't drive your RV to the RV show!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I was just in Provincetown MA on the end of the cape. I tried parking in a lot near the wharves. I pull up and the attendant says “We don't take campers." I answer I am not camping I just want a place to park my regular sized van. He says “Back out we don’t take campers!” WTF? I asked a policeman what the deal was and he said they had people living in their vans in the lot for the $10 a day parking fee. Fair enough but why not enforce a “no staying in your vehicle” parking for everybody? So you don’t get the idea a stealth van could park, there were NO vans in the lot when I checked!

For post #14 , no response of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We purchased a PM for the express purpose of having a wheelchair lift installed to provide my wife mobility in her medically required power-chair. I pity the fool that tries to stop us from parking anywhere we physically fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts