Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting out my build on my 2018 Promaster 2500 136 and am wondering what the pros/cons are with Tongue and Groove vs Shiplap on the walls.

I am also going to paint the boards white. Any tips on paint? I'd prefer a primer/paint combo, but am wondering if it's better to use a separate primer?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
It will look like the inside of a painted sauna?
Both are fine but I prefer tongue and grove as the pieces fit together AND are held in alignment where shiplap lets the joint curl open. Use thin material like 5/8" not the usual 3/4”. Remember it’s not a house and you don’t want it to weigh as much as one.

I’d use sheet goods and make a cardboard template so they fit nice an snug, but you didn’t ask that did you?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am also going to paint the boards white. Any tips on paint? I'd prefer a primer/paint combo, but am wondering if it's better to use a separate primer?
While it does depend on the specific product you are going to paint with, it's almost always better to use a dedicated primer under your paint. It will provide a better finish and hold to the wood better long term. One primer I like using is Bullseye Bin Primer as it seals in any knots or other areas. It's very easy to sand to smooth out before you put on the top coats. I've used it a bunch for house trim projects. That said, there are many products out there that will work just fine.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/primer-sealers/b-i-n-advanced-synthetic-shellac-primer-white

·
Registered
511 Posts
Some canvases I make....piece of plywood covered with bullseye primer covered with canvass covered with gesso....bullseye2...primer& sealer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will look like the inside of a painted sauna?
Both are fine but I prefer tongue and grove as the pieces fit together AND are held in alignment where shiplap lets the joint curl open. Use thin material like 5/8" not the usual 3/4”. Remember it’s not a house and you don’t want it to weigh as much as one.

I’d use sheet goods and make a cardboard template so they fit nice an snug, but you didn’t ask that did you?
Thanks so much for the advice! I have been considering 1/4" tongue and groove. I don't feel like it'll look like a painted sauna. See pic for reference (not my van).

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
Painting the back sides helps prevent mold growth; colour doesn't matter. Paint stores/departments often sell mis-mixed paints for around $10/gal. Look for bath and kitchen paints, which have mold retardants as an added bonus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm starting out my build on my 2018 Promaster 2500 136 and am wondering what the pros/cons are with Tongue and Groove vs Shiplap on the walls.

Thanks!

make it easy on yourself and order prestained/painted from a material supplier that would supply a home. I am not sure what part of Idaho your in, however Lakeside Lumber in PDX/Tualatin Oregon supplies the material and paints/stains it in a bath machine with your preference of color/product. All 4 sides are done so optimum coverage. T&G versus ship lap make no difference. Might be easier to hide imperfect gaps between wood with T&G V Groove versus using a square/mitered Groove. Just order ahead, I think it a 3 week wait time once order is placed.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Probably because the groove holds the bottom edge of the panel in place where Shiplap has a floating edge that you would need to nail or screw in to hold it in place. Since we are in a van it bangs and squeeks when driving (can confirm).

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
As someone who has worked with wood for close to 60 years I’m well aware of the reason T & G is far preferable to shiplapped. creid is correct in the previous post, there is nothing to hold one side of the shiplapped unless it’s faced nailed. That’s fine on a barn but in living quarters it’s second rate quality. T & G locks itself in on both side and the nails can be hidden. T & G also does not tend to cup as shiplapped does. They both need to be sealed on all 4 sides but shiplapped is still prone to cup and/or never fit tightly. The only real advantage to shiplapped is easier removal if necessary and lower cost typically.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
See post #2 ? Please read the thread so we don’t have to repeat again.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I understand the superiority of T&G joinery but I have a lot of experience installing shiplap and prefer the look of it over T&G. Shiplap is in. You see it in almost every new home.

(I say this while a client just requested T&G for his van ceiling. I do what I'm told.)

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
I had a job recently tearing up a bunch of Bamboo flooring. The stuff looks terrible in my mind and I guess the owner agreed. We put down a nice 3/4 oak in a traditional stain. Good things come around crap lasts way beyond style.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts