Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting my Thetford Curve cassette toilet into it's own compartment under the bench seat. I've had cassette toilets before, and while they are pretty leakproof, changes in pressure/temperature can cause the occasional drip from the flush mechanism. We only use it for #1 .

It will be housed in a standard cabinet carcass box, part of the larger bench assembly. I'm looking for tips on how to waterproof/make this compartment easy to clean. I don't want the raw painted wood exposed to any drops of urine-something more wipeable and non-porous would be better.

Any tips/ideas how to best create this wipeable/waterproof box lining? Some sort or spray on or brush on (coating, paint, resin) or a mat (coin mat, waterproof rubber lining)?

Open to all ideas, thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
While not the most aesthetic stuff in the world, this gray PVC shower liner for tile showers might work.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HEC426[/ame]

They usually have a cut-to-fit box of it in Lowes and Home Depot. It goes together with the usual PVC solvents and they sell special corner pieces to simplify sealing folds in the corners.

I've seen treatments in various marine forums running the gamut from house paint and varnish to epoxy and this other coating that's made to soak into the wood. The name escapes me right now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any tips/ideas how to best create this wipeable/waterproof box lining? Some sort or spray on or brush on (coating, paint, resin) or a mat (coin mat, waterproof rubber lining)?

Open to all ideas, thanks!
Go to Home Depot and pick up a gallon of RedGard https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-RedGard-1-Gal-Waterproofing-and-Crack-Prevention-Membrane-LQWAF1/100169081 and get a roll of waterproofing membrane fabric to strengthen the corners. I used this product = https://www.amazon.com/Laticrete-Waterproofing-Membrane-Fabric-Roll/dp/B003D0GODG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521685960&sr=8-1&keywords=Laticrete+Waterproofing+Membrane+Fabric&dpID=51eDSCpOlKL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Paint on a couple of coats of RedGard and when it drys you'll have a waterproof box that's very easy to clean up if you have any "spills".

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
How about a simple cement mixing tray/pan. That would hold lots and I think a Curve would fit in it.

Wondering about leaking... hasn't happened on mine. If I fill the water tank too high, it will spill out (due to sloshing while driving) the filler cap because it just sits in place... no seal or gasket. Keep saying I need to find the right size O ring.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I built a similar "wet bath" area under a bench seat that I put a composting toilet in. I coated all surfaces in epoxy. I "coved" the corners with epoxy thickened with wood flour (dust collected from my belt sander). After it cured I sanded the cove smooth and painted the inside. Then I coated it in epoxy. I put a small drain Hole in the corner that I made out of a boat cockpit drain.

It will easily be waterproof enough for an occasional one-minute quick shower. I've built kayaks out of wood which were coated in epoxy and fiberglass that have spent days being in the water all day, getting rained on, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts