Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time for a nap, a real nap. I did sleep from 9am to noon today--prior I'd been up since yesterday at 3pm.
Got off this morning and tackled some 'easy' projects for Hiyo Silver.
Opened the box from Vantech, matched up with the 1byone Omni-directional antenna and mounted it, did the same with the Weboost trucker's antenna.
Then drilled a hole in the rear break light camera housing and began fishing the coax from the dish in side, and then the cable from the Weboost...then reassembled the housing.
Me up on the ladder for too long in the Sun on 3 hours sleep.
Inside a friendly electrician was working as I worked.
His goals were two fold, one remove the Battery Doc and sub out the Projecta IDC25, and to add a four gang outlet that will only be juiced up when connected to shore power.
Either Seapro or ProEddie told me to do this sometime ago when our electrical build began.
On the trip to Florida we saw the merit of this sage advice.
So enough for the day.
Tomorrow I'll run the cables to their respective amplifiers.

·
Registered
578 Posts
So I've got the OEM camera protuberance. If it's hollow enough maybe 2 little side lights and 2 rear by the screws or 2 bigger down facing under the screws . Put them on a lighted switch at the "D" pillar. As far as removing the assy, nuts and studs inside or the big phillips outside ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That housing is huge compared to the housing containing my rear backup camera and I could easily put those two lights
in my housing and then some. I don't know what is in the OEM rear brake light housing but if it is like my generic housing should be no problem at all. Don't cuss me though if I'm wrong.
Probably take just two minutes to unscrew and see how much space is inside.
The passage into the van is also huge regardless of housing. I'd think one could get 6 or more coaxial cables through it no problem.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Protuberance update. It seemed like a good place to put a few extra "camp" lights . Took the 2 nuts off from the inside , Protu came off , camera cable and lite wires kept it from falling. 2 more nuts that attach to the phillips screws and still wont come apart . Looking inside were little cavities . Not practical to run more lights in there. Was afraid to start prying .
Dang it !

·
Registered
217 Posts
So I've got the OEM camera protuberance. If it's hollow enough maybe 2 little side lights and 2 rear by the screws or 2 bigger down facing under the screws . Put them on a lighted switch at the "D" pillar. As far as removing the assy, nuts and studs inside or the big phillips outside ?
Did you install these? I'm curious where you picked these up and how you like them?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Haven't messed with the protrub yet . Thinking about ways to make it a "stealth vent outlet" also . Maybe a 2" extension between the protrub and body , complicated project .
The LED lights I've been using are commonly used for big rig trucks , E-Bay and Amazon . They're a bit bright inside the van , easily fixed by frosting them with a scotch brite pad .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the lights you were going to install in the bottom of the rear camera housing. I found some that are basically tag lights but I think they may block the door. I'll have to measure the gap between the door and the housing.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I added an amber light below the license plate bracket to light up the rear are and step while camping. Thread here:

Outside Back-of-Van Nightlight with links to the ones I used, and a picture of light coverage. They worked out perfectly for us. I used the same lights in place of the OEM cargo lights inside to illuminate the doorways when entering the van... I used amber to keep the area bug-free. Not for general lighting insode, just to light the way while camping!

A slightly different version of the lights shown above... pretty bright for a small light. They would fit in the rear camera/clearance light housing. Switch on the rear D pillar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts