Ram Promaster Forum banner

To pop up or awning? Weigh in.

8K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  baitbegger44## 
#1 ·
With longer days on the horizon, shade is on my mind. Of the many decisions made and directions gone this one vexes me. Awning or pop-up? I just cannot decide. It seems that each camp has their pro/con. What says the community? My sportsmobile neighbor is anti, having one on his first van but going with a pop-up on his current. Power or manual, DIY or bought, what route did you go? If so why? Pros? Cons? Appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
#19 ·
Oddly enough we've decided to make the back door our main entry to the camper van, and so are leaning toward some sort of tailgate awning like this: https://www.amazon.com/Leader-Accessories-Tailgate-Waterproof-Adjustable/dp/B072KM8P2P/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1519602038&sr=8-7&keywords=Awnings+For+Vans

I bet that doesn't help answer your question one bit, sorry! I thought I'd throw it out there just get the ball rolling.

Wow. That is pretty darn cool! If hadn't already bought a new 13' pop up canopy this last Fall, I'd be all over that! The main problem I see with stand alone pop ups is they dump rain all around them. And they aren't tall enough to go over the rear doors to dump water on the van roof. So you have to set them to one side. I am considering building an awning by fastening fabric to a PVC pipe. Roll it up for storage to lay on the van floor. Say 6 to 8' long. Put some brackets on the roof to hold the pipe ends. Just put grommets at the outer corners of the fabric and use poles with lines and stakes to secure it.

#3 ·
I hate the setup and put-away part of camping. That’s why I have a van- drive to the camping spot, shut off the van, done, now relax. I own a pop-up and would only give it room and set it up if I were camping at an event or sale. My awning is a triangle tarp which takes 2 minutes to set up by one person and folds to almost no space. It makes enough shade or raincover for two or three.

#5 · (Edited)
Gazebo!

Benefits:

Shade
No bugs
Place to hang light
2 minute setup and breakdown, one person... I didn't believe it until I set mine up!
Not attached.. leave it at the camping area
Room for 4-6 people
Stores in bag that's less than 6' long... fits under my bed
Not waterproof, but pretty close
Side covers available

About $159... Amazon

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-25500-Portable-Gazebo-Person/dp/B01CCT9G3I[/ame]

(add 5 side panels and you could take group showers!)

#9 ·
Hat...

Benefits:

Shade (OK)
No bugs (NOPE!)
Place to hang light (NOPE)
2 minute setup and breakdown, one person... I didn't believe it until I set mine up! (HAT is FASTER)
Not attached.. leave it at the camping area (HAT travels well)
Room for 4-6 people (NOPE)
Stores in bag that's less than 6' long... fits under my bed (HAT is more compact)
Not waterproof, but pretty close (OK)
Side covers available (NOPE)
Group showers? (MAYBE, but not much privacy!)

#13 ·
I really like my fiamma awning. It's a manual setup and does require 2 people. It only takes a couple of minutes to set up/break down and it is really stout once the legs are staked. It makes the whole entrance to the van more pleasant. drier and cooler. plus a place to sit or cook under cover is essential sometimes.

#14 ·
I like my Rhino Rack Fox wing awning for the full side-rear coverage. Only issue is setup time, takes 15-20 mins if I put on the extensions and walls so I only use it when I'm camped for 2 days or more. Day trips or overnight stops EZ-up it is for me.

Don't remember who, but there is a memeber here out of Idaho I believe that makes some pretty cool awnings that look easy to put up. Maybe do a search, see what "Pops up" ?

#18 ·
#16 ·
Any legless is likely to get lifted and flipped back in a good wind, or weighed down in heavy rain or snow. That said, my new rig is coming with a legless (carefree) awning. It has a wind sensor and auto retract. People say that the wind will still flip it though, and suggest not fully deploying it when there is wind.

Honestly, I wish it came with an older leg type awning. If the wind destroys it, I will replace with a fiamma with legs.

#21 ·
I like a large umbrella. It's very light, easy to set up by one person, and can go anywhere on campsite, not just next to van.

Our 9-footer provides plenty of shade for two, and can be cranked down in seconds at night, if windy, or if leaving site unattended. Cranks back up in seconds also. I've seen some newer 11-footers I'd like even better for a new van.

Awnings aren't that useful for us because we travel around a lot during the day, or are away from van cycling, hiking, etc. Another thing that bothered me about an awning on our Class C is when sun comes in under awning leaving "zero" shade next to van; granted this happened more often in early morning or late afternoon.

The thing I like best about awnings is that it keeps rain out of camper as you go in and out, but even that has limits for us because we tend to stay inside if it's raining.

#22 ·
My thought is one should camp a bit and get a feel for what they really want especially if they are thinking a $1000 awning. Friends of ours sit in the camper’s shade, right up next to the side. They too tend to be out and about in the middle of the day and there is shade on some side at cocktail time they tell me! They do carry a simple blue tarp for prolonged rain and camping. $12 total cost? Once you have tried it the powered roll out awning may be the right answer.

#23 ·
I agree with RD that maybe DIY should be tried before spending a bunch of money on something permanently affixed.

My DIY tarp was relatively cheap and it goes up quickly. It is the bones of our outdoor shower. One time we used it for several days in the rain. It meant we could cook outside to preserve battery capacity--no solar, no shore power, nowhere to go, plus it made for an enjoyable experience. One time we tried to use it, the wind was too strong for us to deploy it. However, a permanent awning probably would have had trouble that day, too.

#26 ·
...the rivnuts were there.....it was a delivery van before and must of had something up there....bottom of one rivnut still there...did not modify holes....just took assorted bolts out there....found one that worked....took it to l_owes and tried in their gizmo to find correct size....I have 6 eye hooks now 3 on each size

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.