Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
194 Posts
I've been planning on buying a dry toilet (natures head or cheaper version) for my build, mainly because (1) running electric for a fan is simpler than water (it's right next to my electric area), and (2) I don't know how/want to deal with black water. Of course separating liquids seems a bit fussy and annoying. Sitting, or aiming VERY carefully to pee. Making sure no1 and no2 don't happen simultaneously, and what about high fluid no2?
Nature’s Head user here:
  • There is nothing fussy about separating - empty pee bottle every couple of days (bushes or toilet), and empty solids when it gets difficult to churn. For me that’s about 4 weeks full time use. Remove top of toilet, trash bag over container, invert and dump into bag. Takes about 3 minutes, no smell.
  • Yes to sitting down - always!
  • There is no problem in no. 1 and no. 2 happening simultaneously, It’s so well designed that it always gets separated, things go where they are supposed to. The NH has a trap door for the solids container that you can keep closed when only peeing, but you can open it any time while sitting on it.
  • “High fluid no. 2”: thankfully hasn’t happened to me yet, but I’ve been told that you can add a little more composting medium if the mix gets too wet.

Reactions: GaryBIS

·
Registered
2019 136wh hr ProMaster
75 Posts
I'm in the "not to poop" camp. Just don't like the idea of pooping in my van. I'm a backpacker so going natural in the woods is natural. Plus regular facilities such for traveling or any car camper would use. I do recognize that emergencies will occur so I did picked up a basic folding toilet and ordered some of those odorless bags MsNomer suggested. We'll see how this works out when I hit the road in May then adjust as needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My build being dubbed the "Frayed Shoestring Build," there's no room in the budget for a fancy pot.

However, I'll be full time on the road in another month, through to mid-April, and there is no.way. that I'll be using a public toilet. Covid #'s are spiking like mad, and I don't see it changing in the next few months.

When in nature I use a doggy bag and dispose as I would with my dog's poop, but I won't always have that option.

So, I'm going to get as inexpensive as I can folding potty seat with the pail, line the pail with disposable bag, and toss in a scoop of litter before tying off and disposing asap.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,939 Posts
TJ, that plan has worked just fine for me for more than five years. A 5-quart pail from Sherwin Williams is plenty big for one person. I have never had a failure with the Glad "Guaranteed Strong" 13-gallon bags without strings. If I’m not going to have a toilet to dump in, I put the paper elsewhere and empty on the ground, so no litter to mess with.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
A 5-quart pail from Sherwin Williams is plenty big for one person.
You can even buy toilet seats for buckets! And a company called Reliance makes several variations on the bucket toilet. Most home improvement stores (HD, etc) sell 5-gal buckets, but free is also possible. Commercial/institutional kitchens, bakeries, etc, recycle them on a regular basis.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We bought a Dometic 975 (5-gallon) for $148. Although that was one of our more expensive purchases, it was well worth it for those of us who need to answer the call of nature in the middle of the night. Used it only for peeing on our recent first trip in the van - no smell. Doesn't need batteries to flush. Easy to empty, and it slides out quite easily from the frame that TallFather built to hold it that doubles as a seat as well as the "upright" for the foot of the bed that slides out (to make a queen bed). The frame for the fridge is the other "upright."

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
633 Posts
After reading through these options, ideas, solutions I got inspired. As we all know, a flush beats a full house any day of the week. You just have to make sure you're moving when you push the button. ;-)

Ok - wife didn't like the toilet in the new house so this is it on the way to that big restroom in the sky, or, maybe the storage unit until we figure out how to 'move' it on later.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ive been using the laveo dry flush for the past 3 years. It DOES NOT work as advertised. It rarely if ever completely "flushes" with one flush. If there is any toilet paper in the bowl there is no way it flushes. Typically takes at least 2 flushes to get rid of the brown stuff in the "bowl" and prevent an absolutely horrid stench. That is extremely expensive. I really wanted to love this toilet and love the idea of the "sausage bag" but the design execution is very poor. Dont take my word for it, read the reviews on home depot's website Home Depot has been selling the laveo dry flush longer than any other retailer.

One last story about the dry flush: Earlier this summer I used the dry flush on a typical weekend camping trip, came home and parked the van for a week and then noticed it stank really really bad. I opened the lid to the dry flush and saw some brown coming up the bag twist which is typical because the twist often squeezes the brown out the top of the twist into the bowl, but then I saw something moving, looked a little closer and noticed that the bag was infested with maggots. The twist in the bag is'nt tight at all and maggots had infested the bag, there were hundreds or thousands of slimy white maggots, the stench was unbelievable. I think that was the last time I used it. My skin is getting itchy writing this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This looks incredibly wasteful, does it not? A bag for every flush? I pee like 5-8 times a day. I looked up refill cartridges and they cost $1.60 per flush.
Depends on how you intend to use it. In my case, this would be primarily only for #2 and rarely for #1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive been using the laveo dry flush for the past 3 years. It DOES NOT work as advertised. It rarely if ever completely "flushes" with one flush. If there is any toilet paper in the bowl there is no way it flushes. Typically takes at least 2 flushes to get rid of the brown stuff in the "bowl" and prevent an absolutely horrid stench. That is extremely expensive. I really wanted to love this toilet and love the idea of the "sausage bag" but the design execution is very poor. Dont take my word for it, read the reviews on home depot's website Home Depot has been selling the laveo dry flush longer than any other retailer.

One last story about the dry flush: Earlier this summer I used the dry flush on a typical weekend camping trip, came home and parked the van for a week and then noticed it stank really really bad. I opened the lid to the dry flush and saw some brown coming up the bag twist which is typical because the twist often squeezes the brown out the top of the twist into the bowl, but then I saw something moving, looked a little closer and noticed that the bag was infested with maggots. The twist in the bag is'nt tight at all and maggots had infested the bag, there were hundreds or thousands of slimy white maggots, the stench was unbelievable. I think that was the last time I used it. My skin is getting itchy writing this.
Well, you'll see my evaluation next year! I did read that it helps to add a little kitty litter at times and also two flushes might be needed. I don't think the expense will bother me as I compare to the convenience and intended use.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Well, you'll see my evaluation next year! I did read that it helps to add a little kitty litter at times and also two flushes might be needed. I don't think the expense will bother me as I compare to the convenience and intended use.
If you're willing to pay so much id look at the incinerating toilets, they might be cheaper per flush, might be a better value with less headache. I use kitty litter and a dessicant gel too and only use it for number 2.

If only 2 flushes per number 2 were the only issue with the laveo. It has other issues, a partial list:
-the flush switch it came with with super sensitive. Id drive over a bump and it would "flush", at $1.50 per bump or whatever. I replaced its switch with a better one:

-the "bag cartiridge" constantly falls out of the shaped slot it sits in rendering the flushing function non-functional. Its a design flaw. Hard to describe if you havent seen the toilet.

The laveo is a great idea and I want to love it and for it to work too but its just not ready for prime time.

I havent gotten around to it yet but id like to experiment with a 5 gallon bucket toilet and this "poly tubing bag":

Its basically an endless bag so you could tie a knot in the end, use it in the bucket and then somehow tie it off between flushes. Perhaps with a zip ties in between "flushes".

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
^^^^^Make a deposit, take a deep breath hold it in, reach down and push the air out and zip tie it, your a brave man :)

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
No, I don't quite understand it. If you go out for a week and return home for a month can you remove the portion you used and start fresh for the next trip?

Some reading done, answer is no, sound great but as you stated not ready for prime time.

IMO I would have to have a setup where the used sections are removed.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,939 Posts
Afox, I can pretty much guarantee you will be disappointed with the Poly tubing idea. Regular poly does NOT contain strong odor very well. I don’t like to contemplate the smell from your proposed contraption.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts