Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pre-COVID, I had a Reliance portable bag toilet for emergency poops and never used it once in 20K miles of travel. We also had pee bottles for during-the-night use. My wife was able to use a Nalgene without any of the special urine diverters they sell for women (like shewee or others). There were plenty of toilets in the world back then.

Post-COVID, with a lot of closed public toilets, I installed a separating toilet similar to Gary's -- a pee bottle and a poop bag, in a wooden box that doubles as a seat. The main difference is that I don't have an exhaust fan. It does not have a stirrer like a Nature's head.

I use 50/50 white vinegar/water to spray down the pee side after use. After pooping, I cover it with handfuls of dry pet litter (cedar, whatever) in generous quantities -- enough to dry it out. I sit down to pee on it, otherwise it would be a mess.

After more than a couple of days, the pee will stink -- needs to be emptied in 2-3 days. I think part of this is the vinegar and I'm considering other spray down options. As long as the poop is covered up well, it doesn't smell, at least for the longest period of time I've had it in there (like 5 days). Of course it smells until you cover it.

Kildwick (the mfrs of my toilet) and Chead (another "composting" toilet) both say that you should try it without a fan first to see how it goes for you.

Bottom line with any solution for handling human waste (porta potty, dessicating, composting, etc.) is that it's what you want to tolerate. I like this over a porta potty because no chemicals and no "beef stew" when I empty it. The poop is in a bag that I just tie up and throw away, and I dump the urine down a toilet. But you might prefer the porta potty chemicals because they cut down on odor.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the single use bag toilets. This can get spendy but apparently they have a magic poo powder that turns the liquids into jelly, then you bag it up and throw it away. I never used mine but here's a video from someone using the high end of this type of toilet and likes it:

·
Registered
403 Posts
After more than a couple of days, the pee will stink -- needs to be emptied in 2-3 days. I think part of this is the vinegar and I'm considering other spray down options.
This problem has a surprisingly easy fix. Sugar! When you empty your urine tank add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the tank before putting it back. I have no idea how it works, but that repulsive stale urine smell will no longer be an issue.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,939 Posts
I will certainly be trying the sugar. I can normally change out the bag every day, but when the weather is hot, I need to tie the bag between uses.

i had the same issue as OP—COVID required me to address No. 2. I found it surprisingly easy with the bags I linked to. I drape a grocery bag on the rear portion of the seat, effectively making a separating toilet. The grocery bag with contents, including No. 2 paper, goes into the BOS bag, which in addition to being odor-proof is quite sturdy. It goes into the trash—no worse than a soiled diaper.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
245 Posts
Pre-COVID, I had a Reliance portable bag toilet for emergency poops and never used it once in 20K miles of travel. We also had pee bottles for during-the-night use. My wife was able to use a Nalgene without any of the special urine diverters they sell for women (like shewee or others). There were plenty of toilets in the world back then.

Post-COVID, with a lot of closed public toilets, I installed a separating toilet similar to Gary's -- a pee bottle and a poop bag, in a wooden box that doubles as a seat. The main difference is that I don't have an exhaust fan. It does not have a stirrer like a Nature's head.

I use 50/50 white vinegar/water to spray down the pee side after use. After pooping, I cover it with handfuls of dry pet litter (cedar, whatever) in generous quantities -- enough to dry it out. I sit down to pee on it, otherwise it would be a mess.

After more than a couple of days, the pee will stink -- needs to be emptied in 2-3 days. I think part of this is the vinegar and I'm considering other spray down options. As long as the poop is covered up well, it doesn't smell, at least for the longest period of time I've had it in there (like 5 days). Of course it smells until you cover it.

Kildwick (the mfrs of my toilet) and Chead (another "composting" toilet) both say that you should try it without a fan first to see how it goes for you.

Bottom line with any solution for handling human waste (porta potty, dessicating, composting, etc.) is that it's what you want to tolerate. I like this over a porta potty because no chemicals and no "beef stew" when I empty it. The poop is in a bag that I just tie up and throw away, and I dump the urine down a toilet. But you might prefer the porta potty chemicals because they cut down on odor.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the single use bag toilets. This can get spendy but apparently they have a magic poo powder that turns the liquids into jelly, then you bag it up and throw it away. I never used mine but here's a video from someone using the high end of this type of toilet and likes it:

You can make your own bags way cheaper. Pick up some hydrogel Crystal's at an agricultural supply. Nursery supplies also have it.

This is the consumer version:
Amazon also has it in bulk bags of 3# for less.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
This looks incredibly wasteful, does it not? A bag for every flush? I pee like 5-8 times a day. I looked up refill cartridges and they cost $1.60 per flush.
I guess you wouldn't have to flush for every pee, but then it would just sit there smelling up the place.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,939 Posts
Interesting. That Laveo video lit my lightbulb. When there’s a delay emptying, instead of tying off the bag, I may be able to just turn the bucket, thus putting a twist in the bag. I’ll be trying that.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
This looks incredibly wasteful, does it not? A bag for every flush? I pee like 5-8 times a day. I looked up refill cartridges and they cost $1.60 per flush.
Yes, it's incredibly wasteful.

Unfortunately, the thought of someone else f'ing up the composting toilet doesn't seem like an option I want. Nor does the chemical smell of a cassette + cleanup duty (yes, I said duty he he he).

TBH - I would never go for this if I wasn't letting someone else using the van.

Here's what clinched it for me: Laveo in Van Build

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
194 Posts
This problem has a surprisingly easy fix. Sugar! When you empty your urine tank add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the tank before putting it back. I have no idea how it works, but that repulsive stale urine smell will no longer be an issue.
Full timing with my Nature’s Head for 2 years in my Airstream now. I used to spray the urine diverter with a water vinegar mixture, but couldn’t bare the smell of the vinegar any more. Sugar in the urine bottle didn’t do much for me either.
I now use a spray bottle with water, a drop of soap and 15 -20 drops of essential oils (I’m partial to citrus, but anything works) to spray down the urine diverter after use. The pee does not smell for at least a couple of days, and I don’t really see any reason to hold on to my pee for any longer than that, even though my urine bottle holds 2 gallons.

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
I’ll just keep pushing the button on my Curve and dump it every 5 to 7 days thank you. New batteries every year.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
194 Posts
I have a Nature's Head composting toilet and have set it up to be easily removable. There's a plug on the fan and I used silicone slide-on flexible hoses for the vent and intake. It takes just minutes. The bonus is that once you remove the urine container it's quite manageable and there's no liquids to worry about.
I have been using the NH for 2 years now in my Airstream. I don’t see the need to put a hose on the fresh air intake, as it uses the air around the toilet. Is your toilet in an airtight box?

I plan on building a DIY C-head clone with ventilation and stirring mechanism for my van, and plan on having fresh air pulled through the toilet inside a drawer, which will have air intake holes to the inside of the van.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have been using the NH for 2 years now in my Airstream. I don’t see the need to put a hose on the fresh air intake, as it uses the air around the toilet. Is your toilet in an airtight box?
It's not 100% air tight, but now it's fairly close. Before I added the air intake the box wasn't built so air tight and when my Maxx Air was set on exhaust at high speeds it overpowered the NH's fan, reversed the air flow and pulled air though the toilet and into the van. That may not happen in something as large as an Airstream where there's plenty of air, but it was a problem in my van.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
245 Posts
I’ll just keep pushing the button on my Curve and dump it every 5 to 7 days thank you. New batteries every year.
And I will just keep pooping in the woods, off the trail of course. I thought I had roids from scooting across the pine needles, but another poster suggested it may be poison ivy.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
633 Posts
Luckily (in this case at least) my sense of smell is mostly gone due to a bad concussion from a rock climbing accident over 50 years ago. I still enjoy food but my sense of taste is greatly diminished, or as my wife says - I don't smell too good and have no taste. Due to this 'condition' my Thetford Campa Potti ($75 last year at Walmart) seems to be just fine.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
194 Posts
It's not 100% air tight, but now it's fairly close. Before I added the air intake the box wasn't built so air tight and when my Maxx Air was set on exhaust at high speeds it overpowered the NH's fan, reversed the air flow and pulled air though the toilet and into the van. That may not happen in something as large as an Airstream where there's plenty of air, but it was a problem in my van.
That makes sense, I will take your experience in consideration 👍

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
With the Curve, I always hit the flush button after using the toilet. That puts a layer of water at the bottom of the bowl, just like a home toilet. The water will not allow any smell to escape (again, just like a home toilet.
The seal between the flush gate and bowl will not allow that 3/4" of water to leak into the bottom for a very long time. During the non-winter months, the toilet fresh water is always filled, and ready to GO.
Very casual use in the summer may mean the waste tank doesn't get dumped for many weeks or more.... the toilet doesn't care, and neither do I. No smell.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
We've had a Thetford Curve for a couple years, and we regularly use it for #2. Our routine involves Walex Bio-72268, plenty of water, and dumping about every other day into a toilet at rest areas, campgrounds, etc. Using enough water keeps the #2 covered and (usually) odorless. I could dump a little less often, but I also like to keep the weight down. I shake it vigorously (with the cap on!) before dumping and between rinses. A 1 gal jug of water is perfect for 3 rinses. It is way less messy dumping into toilets than into those tiny holes in the ground at dump stations. We've been real happy with it, but every RV toilet system will take some getting used to.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been planning on buying a dry toilet (natures head or cheaper version) for my build, mainly because (1) running electric for a fan is simpler than water (it's right next to my electric area), and (2) I don't know how/want to deal with black water. Of course separating liquids seems a bit fussy and annoying. Sitting, or aiming VERY carefully to pee. Making sure no1 and no2 don't happen simultaneously, and what about high fluid no2?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts