Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been loving our converted Promaster for the last couple of years and have felt no need for a toilet. I am fine with a gatorade bottle and my wife a plastic ice cream container. A shovel and plastic bag for paper or the occasional gas station has been fine for #2. But, in the age of covid and a little more urban boondocking we have been thinking about a cassette toilet (the Thetfords look pretty good and one would fit perfectly under our bench seat). But I keep reading that no one likes to use them for #2 (we would want to ONLY use it for #2). What is the deal with this? Stinky? Difficult to empty? Are there better options? We don't want to have a fixed location, vented, composting one as we will probably leave any toilet at home during most trips.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,943 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
251 Posts
Depends and wet wipes are easier. We bought an Airhead after dealing with a Thetford. And had a spin fitting put on the pee tank and under mounted gray tank. Done with that portable crap.🙄

But I still poo in the forest every chance I get just to piss the bears off. Crouch and scoot thru the leaves like a dog on white carpet. Too cheap for single ply.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We don't want to have a fixed location, vented, composting one as we will probably leave any toilet at home during most trips.
I have a Nature's Head composting toilet and have set it up to be easily removable. There's a plug on the fan and I used silicone slide-on flexible hoses for the vent and intake. It takes just minutes. The bonus is that once you remove the urine container it's quite manageable and there's no liquids to worry about.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We use a C-head brand toilet and have been pleased with it. For just #2 you could use the same concept in your own bucket. Just some wood chips and a mixer. We don't vent and haven't had smell or moisture issues for the occasional use.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It was a bit expensive, and took some imagination to install, but we just completed our maiden voyage and it was very nice to poop and pee inside without odor, or any need to handle any waste or black water:

Use discount code JC202 for an additional free package of liners.

I hope to do a full write up of our install of the TinyJohn one of these days. In the meantime, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It was a bit expensive, and took some imagination to install, but we just completed our maiden voyage and it was very nice to poop and pee inside without odor, or any need to handle any waste or black water:

Use discount code JC202 for an additional free package of liners.

I hope to do a full write up of our install of the TinyJohn one of these days. In the meantime, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Wow! I thought my toilet was expensive...

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
251 Posts
I have a Nature's Head composting toilet and have set it up to be easily removable. There's a plug on the fan and I used silicone slide-on flexible hoses for the vent and intake. It takes just minutes. The bonus is that once you remove the urine container it's quite manageable and there's no liquids to worry about.
Could you elaborate on the flexible silicone slide-on hoses?

·
Registered
404 Posts
To prevent back drafting issues (Mainly from the Maxxair fans) I set mine up with an outside air source so it has two hoses. The hoses don't have any hose clamps on them, instead I found some silicone ends that were the right size to slide over the hoses. I can get some pictures tomorrow and post them here, but it basically all comes out without any tools.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do dry toilets really need the vent fan? I've seen a few brands without the fan and the claim is that you don't need a fan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have been loving our converted Promaster for the last couple of years and have felt no need for a toilet. I am fine with a gatorade bottle and my wife a plastic ice cream container. A shovel and plastic bag for paper or the occasional gas station has been fine for #2. But, in the age of covid and a little more urban boondocking we have been thinking about a cassette toilet (the Thetfords look pretty good and one would fit perfectly under our bench seat). But I keep reading that no one likes to use them for #2 (we would want to ONLY use it for #2). What is the deal with this? Stinky? Difficult to empty? Are there better options? We don't want to have a fixed location, vented, composting one as we will probably leave any toilet at home during most trips.
Check out the Laveo by Dry-Flush -

·
Super Moderator
9,236 Posts
My Thedford Curve works great no matter what you "dump" in it. The prices seem to be all over the place now tho ($150 - $300)! Supply & demand plus a new name. I paid $120 for mine in’17 but those days are long gone😩

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do dry toilets really need the vent fan? I've seen a few brands without the fan and the claim is that you don't need a fan.
At least in the case of the Nature's Head, IMO if you actually use it regularly and as intended then they do need the fan. The fan not only pulls out offensive odors, but its overlooked function is to dry out the contents of the solids bin. If the fan is not working they can get too wet and smell or even mold, they fill up far more quickly and can even develop bug issues. Used correctly with the fan running I can get nearly a month of full time use out of mine before I have to change the substrate.

·
Registered
2020 promasrer 136 HR
17 Posts
At least in the case of the Nature's Head, IMO if you actually use it regularly and as intended then they do need the fan. The fan not only pulls out offensive odors, but its overlooked function is to dry out the contents of the solids bin. If the fan is not working they can get too wet and smell or even mold, they fill up far more quickly and can even develop bug issues. Used correctly with the fan running I can get nearly a month of full time use out of mine before I have to change the substrate.
We were thinking of installing a composting toilet under our bed area (in garage) that we could slide out to use, and stow away when not needed. We would vent thru the floor (I like your idea of two vents, one intake, one outlet) with a fan. The toilet would be built like GaryB, a sealed "bench" that would serve as a step up to our bed at night. Do you think it would be possible to have the hoses long enough to be able to leave attached - say four feet. Would that allow enough air flow to keep the system working?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Hi,
You can build a very serviceable composting toilet for about $80 including a commercial urine separator.
The details on ours here: Our ProMaster Camper Van Conversion — Composting Toilet – Build A Green RV

It has worked really well for the 6 years we have used it. One of the best decisions we made on our conversion. No odor, trivial to empty, long time between emptying, no water supply, no freeze issues, customize to the space you have and integrate a magazine holder :)

Here is another kit for a composting toilet that Dennis found:

Gary

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
My Thedford Curve works great no matter what you "dump" in it. The prices seem to be all over the place now tho ($150 - $300)! Supply & demand plus a new name. I paid $120 for mine in’17 but those days are long gone😩
KOV, why would you want such a simple, elegant, home toilet-height solution?

It seems like it would be more fun to set up fans, get sawdust, connect hoses, spend lots more, or scoot thru the woods! 😈

The Curve... put in water, add batteries once a year, and GO (literally)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you think it would be possible to have the hoses long enough to be able to leave attached - say four feet. Would that allow enough air flow to keep the system working?
Thanks!
My hoses are over 6ft long as they are routed through to the rear and exit the floor behind the wheel well. So I don't see why you could not set it up that way.

Here's a few pics of how I enclosed the head. The plug is aftermarket, not the one that comes on the Nature's head and only one of the two hoses is easily visible in the pic, the other is grey and exits in the upper left corner. The silicone rubber ends were a bit longer and were cut down to fit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have the Thetford 345, we try to avoid #2 but with covid precautions that isn't always possible. The issue with #2 is some smell escapes every time you flush it afterwards, and obviously draining it becomes smelly. No other issues, though. We like how small and portable it is.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Pretty good video on the details of living with and using a cassette toilet

And similar for composting toilet:

Gary

1 - 20 of 70 Posts