1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually more like:

"Use chassis grounds instead of a black wire between major components? "

I'm ready to hook my Aux battery to my House battery via a Wizard isolator. The van battery has a big ground wire from the (-) post to a chassis bolt.

Seems like some people have run a black wire from the van battery (-) to the aux battery (-). Others have simply connected the house battery (-) to a good ground on the chassis.

Pros? Cons? Other thoughts?

I've had the house battery hooked up for a while now but it's time to put some permanent wires in place.

I just bought an RV charger/converter to install too. It has a (+), a (-), and a ground screw... not sure why. Thinking about hooking up the (fused) reds and chassis grounding the blacks (all with heavy duty wires)

Hmmmmmmm?>:D

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,223 Posts
I did both on the house battery, the ground is connected to the chassis and the - side of the starting battery. The + of both batteries is also connected but with a switching relay/isolator which I keep in the off position as the solar panels charge the house battery with no trouble. I ran a separate ground wire from each circuit back to the house battery just for extra security although, realistically, I probably didn't have to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did both on the house battery, the ground is connected to the chassis and the - side of the starting battery. The + of both batteries is also connected but with a switching relay/isolator which I keep in the off position as the solar panels charge the house battery with no trouble. I ran a separate ground wire from each circuit back to the house battery just for extra security although, realistically, I probably didn't have to.
I just finished a build with a single wire to the vehicle battery through a Battery Doctor isolator. I did make sure that I had a good chassis ground at the rear of the van, however. I used a copper bar bolted to both the wheel well flange and the rear quarter inner flange. It is bolted and lock washered in place and the paint has been removed on both ends. I used No Ox to keep the contact surfaces clean and brass 1/4-20 bolts make all of the ground connections. Everything in the back of the van, is grounded to that bus bar. I haven't seen any issues but will keep all informed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am on my second DIY camper. On both I have grounded the house battery to the chassis at a point where I have removed paint and used a heavy bolt and wire size the same as used on the positive side of the house battery. All 12 volt circuit grounds including inverter end on a bus bar which is grounded at the same point. I have had no problems.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Info!

I think I'm gonna try the red to red and black to chassis thing.

For LED lighting I'm thinking about fused 12+ to the lights and switch 'em to ground to turn 'em on, just like the ol' door pins did on cars or yesteryear!

I'm going to put a big ground bolt at the back of the van and try a few things to see how it works....

Ed

.... as soon as I finish the wall with pocket doors behind the couches. That's been a tough one, but it seems to be working well. 80% done!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts