Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In March, I wanted to do a 10K mi tire rotation [20K mi on my van], and the local dealer only charges $20, which made it seem silly for me to do it myself. After it was done, I asked the service rep which rotation pattern was used. He told me rearward cross. FCA recommends forward cross.

Anyway, with almost another 10K miles driven, and preparing for a long trip, I wanted to rotate the tires again, but having little confidence in the dealership, wanted to do it myself. For jollies, I called the dealership again and asked what pattern they use. First the service rep said "front to back", then when I questioned that, he said "whatever is in the manual", keep in mind the last time they didn't follow the manual. And when I got the vehicle home in March, I checked the tire pressure, and found they didn't reset for proper pressure front vs rear. So, not much confidence in them.

Anyway, with no clear idea which way they actually rotated the tires last time, I didn't want to put the tires back in the same locations they were in before the last rotation. I took the middle ground and did a simple same side front to rear swap, and next time will go with a forward cross pattern, as called for in the manual. It seems so simple for a dealership to do a correct tire rotation. If they screw something like that up, how do they do with important issues? Rant over.

I know some members here don't rotate at all, but I don't feel very secure taking that approach.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
543 Posts
FYI: American's Tire (not the same as American Tire Depot) offer free tire rotation and repairs, even if you don't buy the tires from them. I don't think they advertise it but I never got charge for it and they air the tire the correct pressure ;) . Also great experience at Les Schwab tire, they change out the spare and patch the flat tire for free recently during our trip. Plus most of the time it done within 45min, faster than dealership.

Reactions: MtBiker

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI: American's Tire (not the same as American Tire Depot) offer free tire rotation and repairs, even if you don't buy the tires from them. I don't think they advertise it but I never got charge for it and they air the tire the correct pressure ;) . Also great experience at Les Schwab tire, they change out the spare and patch the flat tire for free recently during our trip. Plus most of the time it done within 45min, faster than dealership.
Great info. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
For consistency, I always specify in writing the rotation pattern I want. I get funny looks, like it's the first time anyone's ever done that, but they do it. Getting them to rehang the spare properly can also be a problem. I always check for the yellow dot before I leave.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,370 Posts
I still rotate my tires myself every 5-6K miles. I use a hydraulic floor jack, the emergency jack in the van, and jack stands. It takes me about 45 minutes and in the warm season I work up a good sweat.

You’ve got to keep your core strength up as you age and it’s great exercise, I get to practice using the tools in the van, plus I know it’s done how I want it.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,338 Posts
Hi,
So, a question to the tire rotation experts.

I don't rotate, and I just replace tires in pairs -- if the front tires get down to little tread, I replace them. If the back tires get down to little tread I replace them.
I've been using the same tire make and model, so this makes the above policy easier as all of the tires remain the same make and model, but it seems like it would work even if switching brands as all the tires on one axle would be same make/model.

So, would I really get more mileage by rotating the tires regularly? Any numbers to support this (either way)?

Gary

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hi,
So, a question to the tire rotation experts.

I don't rotate, and I just replace tires in pairs -- if the front tires get down to little tread, I replace them. If the back tires get down to little tread I replace them.
I've been using the same tire make and model, so this makes the above policy easier as all of the tires remain the same make and model, but it seems like it would work even if switching brands as all the tires on one axle would be same make/model.

So, would I really get more mileage by rotating the tires regularly? Any numbers to support this (either way)?

Gary
I started a 5-tire rotation on our new van just to get some mileage out of the new-tire spare. But I'll eventually have to buy 4 new tires at once and keep one of the old ones as spare. On other cars, I've always done just want you do. Replace two at a time. That's easier on the wallet, too.

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
126 Posts
For consistency, I always specify in writing the rotation pattern I want. I get funny looks, like it's the first time anyone's ever done that, but they do it. Getting them to rehang the spare properly can also be a problem. I always check for the yellow dot before I leave.
What do you mean about checking the yellow dot on the spare?

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
402 Posts
What do you mean about checking the yellow dot on the spare?
SteveSS is referring to the yellow dot that shows when the spare tire holder is properly locked in.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

I also do a 5-tire rotation myself about every 6K miles, along with an oil change. The nearest dealer is a half hour (one way) , and I can have the entire job done in less than an hour. I don't put a lot of miles on the van, so the oil change is more time related than mileage.

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
126 Posts
SteveSS is referring to the yellow dot that shows when the spare tire holder is properly locked in.
View attachment 77976

I also do a 5-tire rotation myself about every 6K miles, along with an oil change. The nearest dealer is a half hour (one way) , and I can have the entire job done in less than an hour. I don't put a lot of miles on the van, so the oil change is more time related than mileage.
Hum, I didn't know that about the yellow dot thanks. I will check mine out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
FCA, back when they were called that, gave me 2 years of oil changes and tire rotations because my van was late from the factory. I know they rotate the tires -- who knows what pattern -- because the TPMS has come on a couple of times shortly after a dealer visit, since they don't adjust the tire pressure.

One day shortly after a tire rotation and oil change, I found the oil cap in the area between the windshield wipers and the hood. I had driven for a little while with it there -- it's hard to see because it's black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts