Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

thanks for the great forum!

I know there is a tire section but there does not seam to be to much activity down there.

I'm looking at replacing my aging savanna with a PM 1500 HR 138WB but there seams to be a issue with the OEM tire euro spec and the fact that there does not seam to be any replacement north American tire that has the same load rating in that size.

I run winter tires up here in Ontario Canada and the OEM tires the Continental
VancoFourSeason has poor ratings from the sprinter forums on ice and snow I would love to get your experience/take on this issue.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
9,043 Posts
sprinters suck in the snow! The front drive Promaster should be and has been reported as being excellent in the snow.

I wouldn't worry about tires for the Promaster there are more than enough options out there, even in snowy Canada;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put Michelin all-terrain tires on my Promaster 1500 low roof, 136 wb for both off road and winter driving and they ride great. Very happy with them. Drove down to Big Bend National Park from Albuquerque and the ride was great. Feel much better having these tires on rather than the originals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even though you can't necessarily get a tire with the same load rating, that's not necessarily a problem.

Just determine your max load and find some tires capable of handling that load with some margin to spare. I would think that "E" load rated tires are going to be adequate for 99% of the folks here in North America.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Potatobread, some of us don't plan to use the van to haul heavy loads. The tires won't see anymore weight than an SUV or pickup truck. Some just calculate it out and know they don't need the stock tires.

GuyT is not a heavy user. He's got less weight than a standard pickup truck. It's his windsurf toy hauler.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Potatobread, some of us don't plan to use the van to haul heavy loads. The tires won't see anymore weight than an SUV or pickup truck. Some just calculate it out and know they don't need the stock tires.

GuyT is not a heavy user. He's got less weight than a standard pickup truck. It's his windsurf toy hauler.
Let's do some math. My PM weights 5200lbs empty. Most of that weight is on the front axle approx 70% or 3640lbs, If Guyt is the same he is already over weight on the tires that are rated at 1804lbs each and he has not even stepped in his PM or any gear. Putting P metric tires on a PM could lead to some serious liability issues. Simply put they are not designed for tricks or vans.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
not a big deal, you must not value your life or anyone elses either.
just because they're free doesn't make it right.
By the way, potatobread, what I meant by "not a big deal" is that I will replace the tires and won't feel too bad about it, since I didn't pay for them. I do value my life and other's too, I am not that stupid.

Still suprizing that a Chrysler dealer would put tires that are not fitted for the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts