Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My driving is about 50% pavement, 48% dirt roads and maybe 2% off road. I've been very happy with my 245/70R16 E rated Cooper Discoverer AT3s (They also make a 225/75) and as long as they end up wearing ok (I only have about 10k on them so far) I will be buying them again. They are just a smidge louder than the stock Nexens, but have significantly better performance on loose dirt. Their snow performance has been good, but I'm a bit spoiled as I used to run full winter tires, and that they are not.

If you're not in a hurry, Discount Tire Direct runs a $100 off coupon on Ebay every few months. I managed to get the tires shipped, installed and balanced for under $500 last time around.
I have the same model/year. My WB is 136”. I’m thinking of upsizing to Cooper Discovery lt245/75r16. Have you had any problem with the clearance in the wheel wells?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the same model/year. My WB is 136”. I’m thinking of upsizing to Cooper Discovery lt245/75r16. Have you had any problem with the clearance in the wheel wells?
Sorry for the late response, I have not been on here in a while. I have no clearance issues, but I have the 245/70R16, the 245/75R16 is slightly taller. As far as I know Cooper is one of the only ones making the 245/70 in a 10 ply tire. That's part of the reason I chose it as it was slightly bigger than stock, but not big enough to cause any issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We put the Michelin agilis on our '17 136HT a month ago and so far, noticeably quieter than the nexens. Have driven in downpours and high crosswinds and always had great contact with the road, even at highway speeds. No hydroplaning at all.
With the nexens it always felt like I was fighting them in turns - not the Michelins, they're smooth. Worth the extra money, IMO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, any recommendations?
My experience with tires from another thread:

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was just looking at these. Did you purchase them? And if so how are they working out?
I too am interested to know if you purchased the Agilis Cross Climate tires? I'm looking to replace my Nexan Roadian tires and I'm looking for tires that ride quietly and don't negatively affect fuel mileage. These will be summer tires as I have Blizzaks for the winter, which BTW increase fuel consumption by about 15% or more.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just chiming back in. I don't know if I can still recommend the Yokohama Geolander A/T's. They now have about 25,000 miles on them and they have been less than stellar this winter. In the summer and general on road they are great, quite and pretty good fuel wise for a snowflake rated AT, but this winter in the snow they have not been confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I sound like a broken record, but the "snowflake" rating is pretty meaningless unless it's an actual snow tire.
Anything claiming to be an "ALL" terrain or "ALL" weather is going to be mediocre at everything.
Weather, terrain and driving conditions are all vastly different and anything that is going to be stellar at any one thing is going to be designed specifically for that one thing.
My recommendation will always be to have an actual snow tire for snow and an all weather tire for the other 3 seasons.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh, I agree completely. I didn't buy the Geolander for their snow capabilities. I was merely pointing out that for a snowflake rated tire they actual do well in the other areas of sound, dry handling, and efficiency. If you want a snow tire you need a snow tire.

Overall a great tire and the first two seasons they did fine for what they are in the winter. They are just no longer acceptable for snow. Still great at everything else and waaaaay better than the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yeah, I'm usually knocking the tire companies (not the consumer) for their designations. The "mud & snow" designation kills me. The difference in the type of tread design needed and even diving technique is at opposite ends of the spectrum.
It makes me wonder who's in charge of passing these designations and snowflake ratings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ShaunB, I was ready to do with the Agilis Michelin’s, but learned that Discount Tire was seeing it unavailable in various sizes, which they interpreted as a sign that Michelin would be changing that tire out.

I opted for Cooper Dicoverer AT3. Decent warranty, good price. They look great, but definitely have a growl noise on the road. I haven’t tested them on the forest roads yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
opted for Cooper Dicoverer AT3. Decent warranty, good price. They look great, but definitely have a growl noise on the road. I haven’t tested them on the forest roads yet.
They are much better than the OEM tires, have had them in mud, sand and rocky creek beds. I do air them down to 30 on sand. I do not notice any noise on the highway but I am running 55 psi all around. I have the 245/70R16 so the diameter is almost the same as the factory ones.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've had a few sets. All in 245/75-16 all AT or MT. Cooper Discoverer S/T, Goodyear M/T Kevlar, BFG KOAs, and now my favorite so far Falken Wildpeak A/Tat3w. The Falkens are really quiet for a true A/T tire, they also have the snowflake in the mountain symbol so they are a legal traction tire. And they look good, I'd recommend them where as most of my other choices are a little too serious for normal people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put geolander all weather tires, we live on the coast so hardly any snow but travel in spring and fall and are required to have mountain snowflake at those times, we live on our boat so having 2 sets of tires is a hassle. Happy so far

21 - 37 of 37 Posts