Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a "Service TPMS" message with a continuous (not blinking) illumination of the TPMS warning light?

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
I have had very bad service from the TPMS- it is a POS in my opinion. I have complained to the NHTSA as mine randomly shows the light and then goes off w/o changing the pressure. It doesn’t tell which tire is down even if it is working. Several dealers have looked at it and declared it fine. They say it will go off if I drive it. 6,000 miles later it might. I finally lowered my pressure to 60 as then the TPMS is than on all the time which is better than having it on and off for no reason. You know the story of the boy who called wolf, right?
Sorry I can’t really help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A few weeks ago I had my TPMS threshold lowered to 40 psi by the local dealer, but I left the actual tire pressures set to factory spec. Yesterday on my way to the tire store for rotate & balance the light came on steady (not blinking) and I found the RR tire visually quite low. I drove about a quarter mile to a convenience store with a pay-to-play compressor (4 quarters please) and inflated the tire one dollar's worth - 61.5 psi according to my digital gauge. I didn't check the pressure before inflating the tire but I'd guess it was about 10 psi. Back on the road the light was out, as we would all expect. Tire plugged by the pros at Les Schwab (a nail was the culprit), R & B completed, and all pressures set to spec. Tomorrow I will air down to 45 psi.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have had very bad service from the TPMS- it is a POS in my opinion. I have complained to the NHTSA as mine randomly shows the light and then goes off w/o changing the pressure. It doesn’t tell which tire is down even if it is working. Several dealers have looked at it and declared it fine. They say it will go off if I drive it. 6,000 miles later it might. I finally lowered my pressure to 60 as then the TPMS is than on all the time which is better than having it on and off for no reason. You know the story of the boy who called wolf, right?
Sorry I can’t really help.
Mine has done that periodically. Light comes on, I pull over, visually check, and also check with pressure guage including spare tire, all is good. Hit the road again, light goes out eventually. I do have to say though, the light has come on when I've had a flat. But I agree, the crying wolf gets annoying.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hi,

If you get nuisance TPMS lights, you might try having the dealer set the TPMS threshold to a lower pressure.

Most of us don't load ours PM's full gross weight, having the TPMS pressure set lower than the factory default is not a safety issue.

Apparently not all dealers will do this, but mine did it with no objections and for free.

Gary

·
Premium Member
7,775 Posts
Mine just went off! It came on May 8th as I was pulling out of my driveway in AZ. I ignored it just like the townspeople did the boy crying wolf when there was one. On May 27th I took the van to my inde. mechanic for State of NH safety inspection and he found the right rear down to about 30 psi. He plugged the tire and checked the rest and put them all at 60 psi. The light was on of course. Yesterday, after two months it went off! It should be on as 60 psi is below the threshold of the BCM I am told, but it is now off. The thing is useless and defective and dealers tell me it is fine!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just to close the loop on my TPMS adventure: I had the dealer reset the TPMS threshold to 40 psi but hadn't reduced the actual tire pressure before I got a puncture. The TPMS light alerted me to the problem and it went out after reinflating, as expected. See post 4 for details. Since then I have lowered the pressure to 45psi all around. Much reduced ride harshness and no TPMS light. So, in conclusion, I am quite pleased with the TPMS system. If that doesn't jinx it, nothing will.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can change the TPMS thresholds (and a lot more) using this stuff. Just ask Alexey (developer) to send you the updated APK for the Promaster if you don't see the option after downloading the app.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/AlfaOBD-com-AlfaOBD/dp/B00S715LCQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=alfa+obd+app&qid=1565189524&s=gateway&sr=8-1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Grade-Diagnostic-Performance/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=alfa+obd+app&qid=1565189524&s=gateway&sr=8-4[/ame]

*Use the yellow cable (Our vans don't use the other colors)
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Cablematic-Connector-Adapter-Alfa-Romeo-FiatECUScan/dp/B00FDX4ZQ4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?keywords=yellow+obd+harness&qid=1565189554&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0[/ame]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts