Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TPMS light came on indicating that I needed to inflate my tires to the proper PSI. I did so. However, the TPMS light remains on. Do I need to take some action to turn it off, or will it turn it self off after the passage of time? Perhaps I still need to add more air? Anyone? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
It took about a half hour for mine to go out. There is a recall where they reprogram the computer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did the tpms recall today. Not that it mattered or anything. The light came back on after 5 miles. Ran back to the dealer, they looked again and said they didn't think they got it cleared correctly. They cleared it again and 15-20 miles later, it is back on.
I talked to the service agent (not the actual tech) and he started going into frequencies given off by cell phones messing with the can bus (whatever that is aside from the method used to transmit data?) frequencies taking the tpms system off line...
So, with this information, which I think is total garbage have questions:
1) is your tpms light on?
2) what kind of cell phone do you have?
3) who is your carrier?
Me: light is on, iPhone 4 & 5, AT&T is my carrier.
Anyone heard anything regarding this or are these guys full of **it?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I did the tpms recall today. Not that it mattered or anything. The light came back on after 5 miles. Ran back to the dealer, they looked again and said they didn't think they got it cleared correctly. They cleared it again and 15-20 miles later, it is back on.
I talked to the service agent (not the actual tech) and he started going into frequencies given off by cell phones messing with the can bus (whatever that is aside from the method used to transmit data?) frequencies taking the tpms system off line...
So, with this information, which I think is total garbage have questions:
1) is your tpms light on?
2) what kind of cell phone do you have?
3) who is your carrier?
Me: light is on, iPhone 4 & 5, AT&T is my carrier.
Anyone heard anything regarding this or are these guys full of **it?
1) Lights come on a few of times. First time or two I checked the pressure, which was always good. Next couple I just ignored it and it went out by itself.
2) iPhone 4S
3) At&T

The TMPS sensors work on 433MHz. It is possible that something with that frequency would interfere with the reception of the signals. This wikipedia page; (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies)
doesn't show anything in the 400MHz range. Not that something still could interfere? Sounds like a questionable explanation though as most TMPS systems transmit at either 315 MHz or 433.92 MHz. That would mean there'd be a lot of other vehicles with the same problems...

·
Registered
887 Posts
My TPMS works fine with AT&T and iPhone 6.

BTW, Italians love their Blackberry's. (My company is owned by Italian's who force Blackberry's down our throats, but not mine >:D).

·
Registered
55 Posts
couldn't get mine out either, then I noticed on the door sticker the front and rear tire pressure was different, put to factory specs, its out

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine came on, I took it to a local tire shop. He used a scanner to read the information from each tire, then added air to all the tires that needed it. The light went out right away. He informed me if he didn't use the scanner, it would take about 20 to 25 miles of driving before the system turned the light out on its own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine came on, I took it to a local tire shop. He used a scanner to read the information from each tire, then added air to all the tires that needed it. The light went out right away. He informed me if he didn't use the scanner, it would take about 20 to 25 miles of driving before the system turned the light out on its own.
Mine was on when I took delivery from dealership they said they added air drive 10-15 miles it should go off I drove 100 miles back home still was on a week later I put the proper tire pressure front and rear per sticker in the door them light went off right away when I got into van to drive home so it doesn't take any driving it resets sitting in the parking lot just needs proper air pressure!

Reactions: SewerRatz

·
Registered
141 Posts
My tire pressure light is on too. I noticed that the front and rears have different ratings for pressures (per door plate). (65 PSI front and 80 PSI rear) At what pressure does the light come on? What is the pressure the light activates?

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Variation may play a part. Mine are all at 65 and the light is currently on. It has been on-off for the life of the van. If I get them all to 70 it will go off for sure.
I just went out and set them all for 68. We’ll see if that fixes it. The TPMS system has been checked with a portable sensor a technician use on each tire. He declared it OK and the light would go off soon. It did the next day but has been on about 1/4 the time since new. What good is a system that cry's wolf. I might someday have a deflating tire but I certainly won’t actually believe it. Perhaps I could report the system to NHTSA? How do you do that?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Variation may play a part. Mine are all at 65 and the light is currently on. It has been on-off for the life of the van. If I get them all to 70 it will go off for sure.

Our light is currently on, too. In fact, our light was on when we bought the van! And, like yours, it goes on and off when it feels like it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
According to tire manufacturers load/pressure charts, my scale-verified load of 2000 lbs on each wheel requires 62 lbs air pressure. I run 65 psi in all 4 tires, and my TPMS light is always on. I ignore it and check regularly with a tire guage. With 4000 lbs on rear axle, ride and handling not good at 80 psi. (2016 Promaster 136WB Sportsmobile Class B).

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Could this be simply caused by one bad sensor in the tire? They do have a battery in them don't they? Perhaps that's the problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this same issue with our van. Light came on while driving home from the dealer. Took it to our local tire place. They checked all 4 tires. All were correct pressure. 65 front, 80 rear. Light stayed on. Then took it back again. All 4 tires were the still the same. I asked them to check the spare tire. It was low. They filled it up and the low pressure light went off. They say it takes 15 miles of driving for light to go off. I think ours took less mileage.

Hope this helps. I recommend checking spare tire pressure in all vehicles regularly. We had a flat in our Subaru and pulled out a very low spare tire. Were able to make it to a gas station to fill it up, but it was scary.

Reactions: Winston

·
Registered
108 Posts
Took mine to Tireman maumee ohio. They check tires and rotated. But couldn't get computer to hook up and remove lite. They said it should go off within first 1/2 hour of driving. Sure enough it did.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Temperature dropped and light turned on in mine. It's new with less than 400 miles on it... Visually tires look ok, so next time I drive by the dealer I'll ask them to check all 5.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts