Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How has everyone's tires held up?

I have 17k on the factory continentals. I've never rotated them at any point. The fronts are very worn, side wall cracking and have chunks missing from the center treads on almost every leading edge. I was informed that there would be no warranty due to lack of proper maintenance. Apparently they need to have been rotated 3 times at this point. I'll try to snap a few pics Monday while at work but figured I'd ask here what you all thought.

I know that they should be rotated but I've owned many vehicles over the years and haven't ever experienced this type of tire wear before. I got 65k out of my factory tires on my then new Silverado 2500 tires only rotating them front to rear at approx 40k They just wore out but didn't lose pieces!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
887 Posts
There is a guy on this forum who rotated with oil changes and has 110,000 miles on them and still good.

I used to be a guy who never bothered rotating tires on my truck because I use a great tire that can take it. Michelin LTX.

my current GMC came with crap Goodyears that have never been good on any truck I've owned. Well this truck I rotated the Goodyears at every other oil change in hopes they wouldn't scalp the edges and turn to ****. To my surprise I'm getting 55,000 from them.

I will be rotating at oil changes with this van.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I wonder if he has the conti tire. I will be lucky to get 30k. I'm going to swap front to rear to get what I can out of them. The dealer quoted almost 600 for 2 new conti. I'll go to the Michelin ltx as well. I've had great luck with those tires on my Express SRW 12'Box truck.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would figure the primary difference in tire life is how they're driven. I've seen some folks that even if they drive 'slow' around town, they take the turns hard. That'll knock tire life down quick.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The dealer quoted almost 600 for 2 new conti.
Ouch! :eek: That's pricey! Tirerack.com has the stock tires for $230 each. Reviews seem to be 50/50 on them from what I've read.

I'll probably go to the Michelin ltx2's when mine are worn out. Lots of positive comments everywhere I look on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do drive with "spirit" but seems like the missing pieces are a defective tire IMO. Can't even get them to have a conti rep look at them. I have to handle it myself. Not holding out any hope. Pretty disappointed. I've done the oil changes(2) at the dealer when the oil life monitor came on and neither time was a tire rotation mentioned. I know it's my responsibility. I only looked at tires after the last trip to the dealer to fix multiple nagging issues resulted in a 6 day stay and nothing was fixed that I brought it In for lol. I had the electrical recall done(didn't know about it) an oil change and a sticker. 6 days.

Brought it in that time for squeaky bushings in rear, squeaky brakes, side door that doesn't open sometimes and is hard to close, something rattling in front end, what sounds like a failing wheel bearing in front oh and I failed inspection because when the independent garage plugged into the obd2 port the engine threw engine light and got a rejection due to a communication bus issue.

So I looked hard at truck before I brought it back, found tires going, oil pan leaking, trans pan leaking, low coolant level. They had it for 4 days fixed leaky stuff, greased the side door, swapped rear bushings, tested radiator supposedly tested fine and couldn't duplicate the rest of the issues. Frustration to say the least..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Again, I'm not a PM owner, just shopping and reading here to check out potential problems/fix's before hand.
You might want to check on any issues of mix, unmatched wheel combos if you decide to replace 2 worn tires with any type different than remaining stock tires.
Our Sprinter I had similar problem after appox. 6 years that side exposed to sun the most the tires were heavily cracked and chunks falling off thread edges.
Sprinters are real fussy about tires with onboard systems: ABS, transmission shift, etc. We just went ahead and replaced all 4 and have gotten about another 5 years so far out of this set. But, we have few miles on our tires, just age and exposure to sun/heat.
"Good Luck!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll rotate them then replace all 4 when service life is over.

I have a ProMaster 1500 so looking to use a E rated tire. I know they are lower rated than the factory tire but I have E tires on my other box truck and t has a higher gvw at 9500 so assuming it's good to go.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just had my winter tires mounted today. Purchased a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WB965's. LT225/75r16's, E rated. I've been quite happy with other versions of the Blizzaks on other vehicles so decided to give these a try. I know the load rating is a bit lower but I don't plan on carrying enough weight to max them out anyway.

First thing you notice with a soft snow tred is how quiet they are. Compared to the Vancos you feel like you're driving on carpet or something. Smooths out the bumps too.

I know I found the Vancos to be very loud but now realize they must be a very hard compound. That would be one reason folks would get so many miles out of them. I'll most likely loose a bit of mpg with the Blizzaks on but I'll sure enjoy the smooth quiet ride!

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Just turned 10K miles on my promoter today! My Vanco tires look as new as the day I picked up the van. I expect to get 80k out of them. I will be putting the mounted snows from my Sprinter (oem steel) on in a few days, if the Sprinter rims all fit. I've tried the fronts but not the rears yet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I do drive with "spirit" but seems like the missing pieces are a defective tire IMO. Can't even get them to have a conti rep look at them. I have to handle it myself. Not holding out any hope.]
Every new vehicle I have ever bought came with a tire manufacturers warranty card in the glove box. Was such a card not in your Promaster? i'd contact Continental directly and start a warranty claim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The fronts are 50% worn, the rears look brand new.
I'll get some pictures today if I remember. I still think they're defective with the physical damage to them after 17k. I noticed it at 15.5k. Can't prove it was there earlier.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
Sounds like the front end is out if the front tires are worn out and the rears look like new. All rotation will do is wear them all out faster!

·
Registered
974 Posts
One of you might know this: would going to different sized tires front to rear confuse the ABS or the traction control? Just wondering.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts