Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
like the second article says in it's final statement.......

Sprinters have many tires to choose from. the load rating is "E", 10 ply LT tires that certainly enough load capacity.

it seems that because europe gives the tires a "C" designation and the US has no such designation.

just buy an "E" rated tire. Sprinters have run on them for 10+ years.

depending on load, you might not even need the E-rated tire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My ProMaster Continental P225/75R16C Tires have a load capacity of 3190lbs per tire. My old E150 had the same size Michelin LT225/75R16 tire with a load range E at only 2680lbs per tire. 2000lbs difference between the set of tires. I have ran on occasion max weight on the Michelins and I always thought they looked flat. The Continentals look much better, personally I would not risk my life or some other person by putting the wrong tire on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I hardly believe that there is an issue, here, getting winter tires for my PM was not a problem.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My ProMaster Continental P225/75R16C Tires have a load capacity of 3190lbs per tire. My old E150 had the same size Michelin LT225/75R16 tire with a load range E at only 2680lbs per tire. 2000lbs difference between the set of tires. I have ran on occasion max weight on the Michelins and I always thought they looked flat. The Continentals look much better, personally I would not risk my life or some other person by putting the wrong tire on the vehicle.
Yup, not worth it, that extra bit you spend can go a long way and probably save your life as crazy as it sounds.

·
Registered
386 Posts
like the second article says in it's final statement.......

Sprinters have many tires to choose from. the load rating is "E", 10 ply LT tires that certainly enough load capacity.

it seems that because europe gives the tires a "C" designation and the US has no such designation.

just buy an "E" rated tire. Sprinters have run on them for 10+ years.

depending on load, you might not even need the E-rated tire.
x2

i dont think this is a big problem. just overthinking things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
replacement tires

Has anyone replaced their tires with another brand or size/rating? I want to use my van as a camper in off pavement application. I want to put on a Michelin LTX All Terrain with a load range of E in the same size as original tires but have not yet felt comfortable with the current information regarding tire replacement.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just checked Discount Tire & Tire Rack for the 3500 EXT (which I have on order) and neither have the 'C' type tire. Tire rack suggested the 'E' tire as an alternate in spite of it's much lower 2680 rating. This sounds like a significant issue I hadn't counted on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, The Michelins have a combined capacity of 10,520#! That's 1000# over the vehicle capacity. But the Michelins, best truck tire on the market, I've bought and driven most of them, and the Michelins are, BUY FAR< the best. Rotate and balance every 5000, and you'll get 100k+ out of them, more if it's highway. just sayin!!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The Continental Vanco have a combined capacity of 12,780 pounds.
These tires seem good to me so far.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
I'll take the Michelin's over the Vanco's anytime. Better ride and handling plus 80 to 100 thousand miles no problem if you rotate them.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
C rating means it's a 6 ply tire.
An 8 ply is a D rated tire.
Usual LT tires that are E rated are 10 plys.
Depending on where the "C" is used on tire designation, it can also stand for "Commercial", which can have an even higher load rating than "E" tires.

Some of these new tires can operate at even higher air pressure, which explains in part their higher capacity. The "D" rated tires we are most familiar with went up to 65 PSI, and "E" rated up to 80 PSI if I recall correctly. These new C Euro tires are not comparable on same basis.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts