Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black PM. I call it Darth Vader. Ever since I got it I have been itching to tint the headlights.
Has anyone ever done it?

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
I have a black PM. I call it Darth Vader. Ever since I got it I have been itching to tint the headlights.
Has anyone ever done it?
I did it on an old BMW. The look was pretty cool. Do the lightest tint you can.

As you can see they tinted the headlights on the Mopar Promaster. They look great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Is that aloud? Is this a safety issue? night/foggy risk of accident.
Who would be liable? This includes tail lamps. Sure a lot of people do it but....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Headlights on the Promaster are NOT very bright as it is.. Luckily I have the fog lights which seem to brighten up the road better then the headlights themselves! I wouldn't tint them myself no matter how "good" It may look..

·
Registered
473 Posts
I constantly see poeple tint their tail lights so dark you can't see them. I can't wait for someone to rear end them and then sue them for purposely rendering their brake lights useless. The headlights though? It used to be illegal to have anything but clear lenses over the headlights but I see a lot of new Fords with tinted lenses...don't know if they are factory or not. I wouldn't want anything that would reduce the brightness of my headlights.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of getting some silver star bulbs that are 40-50% brighter. Then tinting the PM lens with 35%. I'll still be ahead of the game and my mean PM will look meaner.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Is this even legal, not to mention safe, in any state or province?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Certainly not legal in Ontario. Given that tinting the headlights impairs your ability to see and be seen, and tinting the taillights impairs the ability of others to see you, it's not a wise thing to be doing.

If you want to do something like this, take the outer cover off and paint the part of the inside of the housing that is NOT part of the functional reflector around each bulb. Leave the outer cover clear. Of course, this is a lot of work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's probably a law that specifies how bright your headlights should be. I read somewhere online that the law for tail lights in my area specified they had to be visible from x feet away on a sunny day (or something to that effect). If you can look up the law, and comply, then what's the harm? Especially if you're upgrading the bulbs to offset the tint.

I also see idiots with tinted tail lights so dim I can barely see them, and I think it's dangerous and obnoxious. But if you're being smart about it, I don't see the big deal.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The problem is that if you tint the tail lights it renders the reflectors useless and that's what most poeple get tickets for. The reflectors must be seen at night from 1000 feet away with your high beams and 300 feet with low beams. It varies by state but manufacturers will always make them pass the most stringent state.

·
Registered
179 Posts
News recently ran story about test that showed how many cars have inadequate headlights. Some on low beam don't project far enough down the road to drive safely over 30 mph!

Most people are trying for better headlights. Don't think I've ever seen tinted headlights & after seeing tinted tail lights, wouldn't want to.

Know police are happy to stop people for tinted windows. Suspect they'd enjoy pulling someone over for tinted head lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts