Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a half a hour fix that made steering wheel more vertical.
If you hate the "driving a bus feel" this is an easy project

Remove the 3 screws holding dash under column on
Remove 4 3mm allen head screw from lower plastic piece of column
Look at the mounting plate for the column 2 lower 13mm bolts and 2 13mm upper nuts on studs
Remove upper nuts
Loose lower bolts (don't remove them)
Pull down on steering wheel to free upper mounting holes from mounting plate
Put 3/8" spacer with 3/8" inner dia on studs between mounting plate and dash frame
Red Loctite nuts onto studs
Tighten lower bolts
Put lower column plastic back on
Put lower dash back on
Easy pezzy a tilted column
Pictures below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Actually I’d like the wheel flatter more like a bus and more like I remember my VW bus which I thought was great. LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do the same job but put spacer in the bottom if you want it flatter

I took it out last night and this morning 50 miles total. What a complete difference. Before I was always using the lower part of the wheel, now I am using the upper portion. It makes my hand more comfortable using the blinker switch. Before I was always hitting the cruise control switch cause it was right there, now it is lower than where I am on the wheel and feels right.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm usually most comfortable with my hand at the top of the steering wheel and find myself leaning forward while driving the PM. Haven't taken long trips, but I'm sure my back would feel the effects pretty quick. I also keep hitting the cruise stick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those were my reasons of figuring out a way to tilt the column. It is a real easy ,safe job to do. very little tool needed and can be reversed if you don't like it

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm interested in changing the steering wheel position. Is the 3/8" spacer the most it can be? Suppose the max space is limited by bolt length? Are these spacers available at HD/LHI? I've only used a stack of washers for similar purposes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is an interesting and innovative idea, but I wonder if it may create any unintended stress on the steering linkage(?). I think that I too might be happier with the revised angle, but I'll let you be the guinea pig for a while before I try it. ;)

·
Registered
810 Posts
The stock position is ok. It seems that my right arm is almost fully extended when grabbing the top of the wheel and resting there.
My elbow is almost locked.
But at the same time, I also like the clearance when I get in and out.
Im afraid if I lower it too much, I may forfeit the ease of sliding in and out..
SO.... I bought 1/4" spacers instead of 3/8"s for a test.
By the way, metal spacers were 4.50 each!!! So, I opted for the vinyl ones...40 cents.. Hmmmmmmm...
Pros vrs cons on that choice?
Installing them tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spacer are available at your local hardware store. They are easier to place on the studs than a stack of washers.
3/8" is max spacer that can be used do on stud length. You will still get the full nut onto the stud. The column has U joints in it and it has little to no change to them. I build and modify vehicles for living. The things I care most about are, if it stops or steers. This change I see no ill effects from or I wouldn't of done it to mine and definitely wouldn't of posted it. But everyone should do what they feel comfortable with, I am just sharing things I come up with that I feel comfortable with being safe changes to my Promaster

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just did this. I opted to use steel washers from a box lying around in the shop. Inside diameter needs to be just over 8mm.

Three washers at each upper mounting point proved to work out right. I didn't want to move the steering wheel too far down because it would start blocking the instruments. But now I don't have to reach forward to reach the top of the steering wheel and it's at the right height.

I also found that the steering column couldn't be moved down far enough to allow anything more than a washer to be slipped in without applying more force to it than I was comfortable with applying.

·
Registered
427 Posts
This is an interesting and innovative idea, but I wonder if it may create any unintended stress on the steering linkage(?). I think that I too might be happier with the revised angle, but I'll let you be the guinea pig for a while before I try it.
Having just seen what's going on in there ... It won't be a problem. The lower two mounting points for that plate are pretty close to where the U-joint is, so you are not stretching or compressing the shaft beyond what it's designed to do. The angle change is pretty small and that won't be anywhere close to the travel limits of the U-joint either.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I did mine yesterday, but used 1/4" spacers instead of 3/8's.
I had trouble getting the first piece of plastic back on and only managed to seat the lower allen screws.
Im fretting about that. Ill try again tomorrow.
I cant feel much difference, but it is there a bit.
Also, I tested the telescoping action, and its gone now.
But its all the way up like I had it before.
Very nice idea.

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Geeez, I totally forgot the steering wheel telescopes. But then I have no complaints about it so I guess I'll just leave it alone ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts