Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been pretty terrible about documenting my progress on my build out. Things are finally starting to come together though! My current progress and future upgrades below:

Current Upgrades:
  • House Battery
  • House Fuse Panel & Accessory Switches
  • 3/8" Plyfloor w/ HDX Brand Diamond Mat
  • Fender Well Covers
  • Washdown Tank
  • LED Roof Lighting
  • Curt Hitch

In Progress Upgrades:
  • MaxxFan Deluxe Fan
  • Kicker Audio System - 2 pair 6-3/4" Component, 800-Watt 5ch Amp, 12" CompRT Sub
  • Vehicle Wrap
  • Insulation & Walls

Future Upgrades
  • Wheels
  • LED Exterior Lights
  • Bench Seating
  • Interior Shelves
  • Awning
  • Passenger Sliding Door Vented Window

Sorry for the blurry photos, my camera on my phone is a bit messed up. More photos to come as I get time to complete my projects.

Attachments

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
--
Nice...
Would like info on the wrap and the hitch.
Hey Ck32250, The guys at Atlantic Imaging/Rig Wraps in Atlantic Beach are doing my wrap. They are super awesome! Contact Tom Cook at [email protected] or 904-247-7764.

I ordered the Curtis hitch from Amazon for $101. The wiring harness is a CURT 56209 Wiring T-Connector. And I also ordered the Hopkins 47185 Multi-Tow Adapter. All said and done my cost was $175 plus 2 hours of my own labor. The hitch takes about 30mins max to install and the wiring harness was pretty simple as well.

Reactions: Ck32250

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made some headway the past few days. Cut in a MaxxAir Deluxe vent fan, actually insanely easy. However, havent checked to see if it is watertight but it should be since I use Eternabond tape to seal the seams.

So far this fan is the most amazing thing I have done to my van, sure helps keep it cool in the Florida heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also got the Kicker audio system roughed in yesterday. 800-watts of pure ear-bliss! This is going to make those long drives way more tolerable. Will finalize in the next few weeks

I am not going to lie, this was a pain to install. Took me about 3 days to wire everything and make the boxes and speaker mounts. I used close to 200 feet of speaker wire and I still have to put the front tweeters into the pillars. I have not been unable to figure out how to wire them back to the door. I will need to do this for the crossover. Does anyone know where I can find the compartment and door pass through (the rubber boot between the door jam for the current window wires, speakers, door locks, etc) location at?

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Making some further progress! Man this stuff takes forever when you are first doing it. I now have a wealth of knowledge to help any friends who may purchase one of these in the future and want to rig it out.

Finally have the walls up, second fan installed and some other misc things.

Waiting to finish the walls and shelving until it gets warmer, will paint them first then eventually wrap them in interwoven fabric. No insulation just yet, still debating on returning the denim insulation and going with the thinsulate. I used rivnuts to make for ease of removing the panels and for a "professional" looking install, I made a tool but my 18v Rigid Impact driver couldn't keep up with it so I did most of them by hand with a ratchet. Bad idea! Either buy the oppropriate tool or buy a 110v 1/2 impact gun, they are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Still have a little bit of trim work to do and other small things but I think I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Next project is solar panels and a wrap for my sales rep business.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Looks great, where did you get that Eternabond tape? It's kinda pricey.... got any leftover??? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great, where did you get that Eternabond tape? It's kinda pricey.... got any leftover??? :)
I do have leftovers. I still have plenty after doing 2 vent fans. I also have the butyl tape too.

If you install in the rear, I did 2 passes with the tape. The front vent, where the sun room looking area is, took 1 pass and was super easy to install. The rear install has the ridges and takes more Butyl and Eterna tape.

Let me know how many fans and where and I can sell it per foot for what you need.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have one Maxxair on the way. I'm going to install it up front and see if I need one in the back later.

I'll buy enough to do my one fan from you. I like the way it looks vs gooping it up with self leveling sealer.

Now I know what your van looks like it won't be hard to spot you! :)

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the front fan I used about 7' of EternaBond and Butyl tape and Back fan was about 10.5 feet.

One fan does a pretty good job, but if you are using the exhaust and dont have a way for the air to pull through (open window, t-window or 2nd fan) the pressure builds and slows the fan down. If you leave a door open with the fan on exhaust it has a noticeably different sound, vs having the door shut and the van sealed off. I just installed my second fan this Dec and havent had a hot enough day to test it, but I have a feeling it will make a massive difference having one push and one pull air. Hot FL days with one fan usually has my van at ambient temp.

PMed you the price for both.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got everything painted. In the home stretch now, cant wait to get done with this!

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Those white panels make me think of drywall. Makes me want to get my mud and tape and go to town on it :)

Did you just use self tapping screws to fasten the wood to the van?

thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The panels are actually the same color as the grey in the front. I will be adding black trim at the bottom to make it blend into the front. I plan to use the leftovers from my diamond flooring I have.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got to use my rig for its intended purposes this last weekend. I use mine as a dual gear hauler and camper. I was able to take all my kite gear, plus a friends, 3 paddleboards and 5 days of supplies. We did a kiteboard and paddleboard trip through the lower Keys. Several friends stayed at Big Pine Key and it sure was nice to show up and not have to setup a tent and all sorts of other stuff.

After this trip, I am now in the search of a roof rack but need to find one that would work with my 2 vent fans. I really like the Prime Design AluRack because it appears to have movable cross-members and the roller assist on the rear but for $1k that is a lot of cash.

I will also be adding a convertible sofa bed very soon behind the driver seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,530 Posts
Made some headway the past few days. Cut in a MaxxAir Deluxe vent fan, actually insanely easy. However, havent checked to see if it is watertight but it should be since I use Eternabond tape to seal the seams.

So far this fan is the most amazing thing I have done to my van, sure helps keep it cool in the Florida heat.
AC,

I cut my Maxxair fan in yesterday. Waiting for the Eternabond to arrive in the mail.

I was wondering how the Eternabond worked when putting it on the front and back of the fan opening where the up-and-down valleys of the roof are.

Yours looks pretty smooth. Nice job! It looks like you used the 4" tape and put it right up against the vertical side of the vent. Did you stick the whole length to the vent frame then run it straight across to the metal of the van. I'm hoping it will stretch to drop down into the valleys.

Trying to figure out how to put it on to get the smooth fit in the valleys and span onto the vent frame without a bunch of crinkles. Your suggestions would be very helpful! It appears that it is important to get it right on the first try.

ed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used the 3" Eternabond because I was being cheap and knew I would have plenty of leftover to overlap. If you want it to look super nice and pro, I would use 4" minimum but 5" would make it look pro. After the year of use, it is still working amazingly however there are some bubbles. At the end of the day, if it works and no leaks I'm not sure worried about the bubbles and looks, especially since it won't be seen.

Overall, the tape is thick and very easy to install. I would recommend getting a small roller to get the stuff put down. It will def get it smoother than just rubbing it down.

Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts