Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If things go as planned (when does that happen??) this weekend I'll be
placing the 2 6volts and will then need to tie them down.
They are AGMs so I'm not doing a specific box for them AND they'll both be sitting
on 80/20 1.5 inch x 1.5 inch extrusion bars which will also be tied down to the floor.
I'm planning on tying down the batteries completely through the van metal floor.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
They have hold down kits that would work if you bolt the base through the floor...

Camco 55394 Standard Battery Hold-Down Tray

My only concern is that without a box, you need to protect the terminals against something shorting across them.... very important! That might make a big KA-BOOM! :|

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,084 Posts
Hi,
If these are the 6 volt golf cart sort of batteries, they probably weigh something like 60 lbs each, or 120 lbs for two. They are in the van with you, so in a crash they could become serious missiles with your name on them.
They used to design seat belts for 30 g's forward on the idea that people would have some chance of surviving a 30 g crash. If you apply the same 30g's to 120 lbs of batteries, its 3600 lbs trying to rip the batteries out of what ever is holding them down, so good sturdy holddowns seem like a good thing.
A lot of the hold downs are are not sized to restrain a battery in a serious crash because the battery is located in a place where it won't crash into people if it comes lose, but this may not be the case for your battery location?

Gary

·
Registered
819 Posts
NHRA requires 3/8 hold down bolts. 5/16 would be fine and easy to get. That electric shop might just have "boots" that go over the cable ends. Proeddie's battery mount kit is the ticket and "boots". Or go big $$$ and get race car type batt boxes. (unnecessary)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KNDLKSTMS great idea.
I'll take the PM to the electrical shop to show them what I'm trying to do...might help
to give them a visual.
I've also discovered in this whole process the difficulty of me communicating since I'm new
to the languages of electrical and basic construction.
I'm just glad Poof can pee in a bucket! I really am liking simplicity more and more as I age.
And I keep reminding myself our PM is a rolling photo studio for wildlife and not the Waldorf.
Isn't it cool though how each of us comes at the PM conversion with a different set of knives
to skin the cat.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Poof? bucket? skinned cats ? I have a have a hard time not p'ing all over the bucket ! The work vans, the luxuriant 159 hi-tops , short n' stumpy's like myself. Also consider region . In Cali temps are moderate (or were). At first after reading all the posts about esparbastos , I realized I'd have to drive for days to get in those climes. Real cold for me is Lake Tahoe nights. My rig needs to be very convertible , Cargo/Campo.
Metal has been my medium and that's what I'm using. Some wood too. And some mementos of the previous van builds .
I wish I could be better at links/pictures to share my ideas.
Yes medicineman4040 , there's a lot to be said for simplicity. Less is better. My first night at a campground in my PM with only the bedframe installed and a folding chair was wonderful. Also on top of Mt. Diablo with the eerie silence and surrounded by billions of people below and nothing to mess with. What a trip !!!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poof-the better-half
Skinned cats=ways to solve problems
Bucket? Nah, she has a proper pottie, so does the Maine **** Milo.
Espar/Webasto=luxury. The dinky Buddy propane has worked a charm for the cold work
days. We'll do Espar, the plate is en route from the U.K., but really now hurry. Just remember the
down booties :)
Cold. Well we ended up with 4 inches/2 layers of Hein Thinsulate walls and ceiling...not exactly 4 inches but close
enough for a hillibilly :)
Less is better. For weeks at a time and for years we've lived comfortably with what we can carry on our backs.
Different folks have different needs for comforting items. In the backpacking world from where we come people pack for their greatest fear. For some its lots of food, others lots of food, others several pairs of gloves. In RV'ing I'm still wondering what my greatest fear is......as long as a backpack is loaded up in the back I suppose I have no fears.
Now give me some of that eerie silence. Live for it :)
I work every other week, on my last off week this was my home for 3 days-

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts